PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Google Nexus S

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 11:12 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

testacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Sprint Nexus S

So who's considering buying the Nexus S from Sprint? I was going to buy an Epic until the Froyo debacle that Samsung or Sprint doesn't have a clue how to release a device without breaking something, crippling or bloating up a phone.

Yes, I know that dual core phones are around the corner and quad core possibly by years end, but how long before that power is actually used? Developers most likely aren't going to make programs for only a handful of these devices or they risk only a handful of sales. So I'd think it would be a safe bet that the Nexus S isn't going to be sluggish for at least a year (if that) and by then, the newer versions of Android should be more easily portable to the crowds after the manufacturers gain more experience with customizing it. At least the Nexus S will be updated consistently through the next few critical upgrades of Android and now that Flash and better Bluetooth support are already present, they just need to get multi-core, higher res and OS optimizations in place and we'll be sitting pretty. The only thing I'm concerned about is if the Nexus S suffers from similar problems that the Nexus One did when they tried to use it on TMobile. I hope a good amount of product testing was used to certify the phone because it would suck if it suffered the same problems that the newly released Epic had since the hardware is practically the same...

I thought I even saw somewhere that the non-contract price of the Sprint Nexus S was a mere $399. Not too shabby, contract price or not, this looks (to me at least) the way to go for the next year and re-evaluate the offerings in mid 2012. Also should be nice to have a reference phone with all the Android fragmentation going on in the market. No point in having all this dual/quad core power if there isn't much or anything to take advantage of it. I see software support being necessary in 2011 and raw power in 2012, when the OS hopefully stabilizes.

Anyone else with thoughts on this topic? Agree/Disagree?
Old 03-26-2011, 12:06 AM
VFW Member
Pocket PC: GNote2 Sprint SERO!
Carrier: Theodore Roosevelt CVN-71

gullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Already having an Epic, with perfectly working Froyo for months now, I'm not interested. Looks like an Epic minus the qwerty, not sure on the FFC. Bought my Epic in November for $200 on craigslist.

Sent from an Epic 3G on SERO
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:31 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

mQuinn24 is a n00b
Re: Sprint Nexus S

I just got on the waiting list yesterday for my Nexus S. I have an upgrade and don't want to lose it. The Evo 3D is going to be a fast phone, but it's not for me. I'll use the Nexus S for a year and upgrade when the latest and greatest comes out.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:24 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: hero
Carrier: sprint

iamfortran is a n00b

I am tempted by the fact of the Nexus S being bloatware-free and more Android friendly. I am a little bothered by it being a Samsung (not a fan) phone, and am leaning toward the 3D....
Old 04-21-2011, 09:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: SPRINT, DONT LAUGH TOO HARD

kaoss_11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkaoss_11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkaoss_11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkaoss_11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

not a samsung fan
Old 04-21-2011, 10:12 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Motorola Xoom, Nexus S 4G hitting Sprint in early May? -- Engadget
Old 04-26-2011, 03:10 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

JeffKay is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJeffKay is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJeffKay is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJeffKay is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I have an EVO since launch day. I'm running Cyanogen 7 AOSP rom on it. What a difference without the bloatware and garbage HTC Sense UI on it. It's like a different device.

I can only image the bloated porkey 3D interface HTC is cooking up to take a dual core phone to it's knees.

A Nexus S with dual core would be my perfect phone.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:50 PM
VFW Member
Pocket PC: GNote2 Sprint SERO!
Carrier: Theodore Roosevelt CVN-71

gullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoss_11 View Post
not a samsung fan
I had a Samsung Moment and it was atrocious, lost data signal often, I took a BIG chance on the Epic and it has NOT disappointed! Hands down Best phone I've used!
Old 04-27-2011, 07:09 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I hate the screens on the epic... White looks light blue... My eyes can't adjust to that...
So for that reason... I did not get the epic and will not get the Nexus.

Besides... My upgrade is coming right after CES next year. We'll see what's out there.
p.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:42 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTECHKA View Post
I hate the screens on the epic... White looks light blue... My eyes can't adjust to that...
So for that reason... I did not get the epic and will not get the Nexus.

Besides... My upgrade is coming right after CES next year. We'll see what's out there.
p.
It depends on what your screen is tinted..some had tinted blue...some yellow..and some nuetral..mine was neutral...thing about Nexus S is Its not Pen-Tile..

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Google Nexus S