PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 08:28 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Windows Phone 7... Doomed?

Quote:
How much would you pay for a new OS on top of the line hardware??? The friggin TP2 set me back 400 out the door. I'm not paying that kind of money for any phone from this point forward. MS is keeping the price point down especially considering the demo they are after is my teenager and my 20 year old. Not buying them a 400 dollar phone. This is business... Not a game of keep the nerd boner going.

Why else do you think we are still getting 1500 mah batteries... There are much better batteries out there. There are also 120 gb memory cards. But all that fancyness comes with a price. A price I sure the hell will not pay. I'd rather go to a different platform.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
Now I concede that point. It is very true that microsoft could've got the second gen snapdragon single core. But then I have to wonder about cost...and in that alienation of OEMs that are hanging on microsoft by a thin thread. I think the old snapdragon route was a good one imho and surprisingly is performing quite well especially with regard to gaming and ui experience. I'll get to the mt4g soon though.
HD7 is priced at 200$, $499.99 retail (1st gen snapdragon)
Samsung Vibrant is priced at $free, 499.99 retail (hummingbird)
myTouch 4g is priced at $200, $449.99 retail (2nd gen snapdragon)

So if a mytouch 4g which came out around the same time retails for less and has better hardware retails for less...I don't see why it couldn't have been done..also Samsung could have worked with them on the Hummingbird rather then the Snapdragon..I am sure Samsung would have been glad to work with them as they did prototype for M$.

Quote:
Slowly raises hand. We all knew the hd2 was the prototype device for wp7 as well as the TG01. Could've seen as far as the sun is yellow that microsoft was going with snapdragon based devices. HTC HD2 shined when it became the proverbial hit as well a capacitive monster that makes tech boys have dreams about...
I contend anyone thinking microsoft was using more than snapdragon ESPECIALLY after CES 2010 is insane and has not paid attention to microsoft one iota.
They didn't use HD2 as a prototype..the Samsung was..that said 2010 there were a number of WM phones coming out with 1st gen snapdragons..HD2, LG Fathom and etc..

Quote:
I'm pretty sure they did work with smartphone developers (not carriers sadly). I think in order to make modifications for the core, they had honestly no choice but to ensure the hardware companies matched all specifications to make a unified product.
No I meant for example..the Zune HD had some really nice hardware and M$ worked with Nvidia to secure the Tegra ahead of everyone else..M$ could have worked together with a CPU manufacturer to get a CPU before everyone else and then be ready to release in late 2010...

Quote:
No I mean CE7
Windows Phone 7 is based on Win CE 7
CE6 or CE7? [Archive] - xda-developers
trust if it was ce 6.0, a port of wp7 (even early beta on hd2) wouldn't be possible. Ask cotulla sometime, pretty insightful stuff. Or Da_G who always said CE7 from day one
Regardless CE7 has a lot of nice goodies that has support for a lot of nice things. I MEAN A LOT OF NICE THINGS...like really REALLY NICE THINGS for mobile and tablet platforms
wiki says CE6.0R3/CE 7 Hybrid :/..that said Zune HD was already hacked..and what HD2 got was ported from the Emulator..

Quote:
Carriers (TMO e.g) or OEMS (like samsung)? The latter I can see in some ways after looking at the new wp7 samsung update bringing in some stability to camera and other hw that is sorta needed (battery tweaks please!!!) but carriers...not too sure...
It's tough to say how microsoft will do this honestly but I always thought it was using an apple paradigm we download install backup done
Carriers can block future updates to sell new devices...

Quote:
Oh god don't get me started on HTC! I mean the best part of wp7 means that HTC can't cut corners and release the hot dog parts of phones and call them new. 3 gens of mytouch (save from the mt4g) have all been hot dogs of crap parts that HTC couldn't sell and rebrand as a new phone and try and milk cash from people. That's been HTC for a while. I won't lie (touch pro v tp2 anyone)
But with a specifications of 1st gen 1ghz snapdragon they can still reuse cpus...I mean realistically I the 800mhz 2nd gen snapdragon is better then the 1ghz 1st gen snapdragon..yet its below specs..how ironic...

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 01-04-2011, 08:28 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Great insight into your fantasy realm.
Keep it to yourself.
p.

Here's something... Windows Phone 7 'NoDo' update hitting phones in early February, 'Mango' coming later with IE9? -- Engadget#

Shows some promise as far as the processors are concerned.
p.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:31 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (PPCGEEKS Fire Dept.: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; Windows Phone 6.5))

keeping on topic, i'm going to watch an episode of familt guy now via netflix....not bragging, just pointing out that wp7 is the only that has it so it can't be a doomed os....i know a whole bunch of fandroids that would love that app .
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:45 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level

Sounds good doc... Just slow down on that typing... You're starting to sound like Andrew.
LOL.
p.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:45 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 and every single phone verizon had...
Carrier: Verizon

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTECHKA View Post
The spartian is like a retarded pet... Let him be... He's no bother.

I've been trying to find something cool coming out of CES in the form of a WP7 device... Nothing yet. The day is young though. It looks as though tablets are the stars of the show. Yet... I see nothing priced for the common mortal. Or anythign from Sprint! WTF? EVO Shift is what we get from Sprint?
Verizon has a butload of Android phones. Some with some very nice looking design lines and beeffy hardware to match.
p.
not till thurs for wp7 news and tablet news
actually my eyes are still set on the hp 2740p convertible tablet not these flipping toys everyone goes gaga for.
Sprint...you know I don't think they were existent at this CES for much...not even the evo was announced then actually...
but to tide you over next month update does bring cdma support, some major bug fixes, and a few other things. Sadly as gTen corrected me, it is carrier based...which means not good...either that or we need some f/w leaks and now
Old 01-04-2011, 09:06 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha

There's lots of tablet love on the Engadget home page...
Engadget
Old 01-04-2011, 09:07 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTECHKA View Post
Here's something... Windows Phone 7 'NoDo' update hitting phones in early February, 'Mango' coming later with IE9? -- Engadget#

Shows some promise as far as the processors are concerned.
p.
I am not saying better hardware is not coming..but I do think M$ overlooked setting a minimum on the GPU..on a locked down platform like WP7 where M$ tries to avoid "fragmentation" as they call it..it will really bog down the platform for at least a year..I am fully aware that its 1.0 and etc..and Android and iphone both started somewhere..but this day and age its a lot less forgiving...even Apple as ironic as it is released better hardware then all Android phones...up until the Galaxy S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
not till thurs for wp7 news and tablet news
actually my eyes are still set on the hp 2740p convertible tablet not these flipping toys everyone goes gaga for.
Sprint...you know I don't think they were existent at this CES for much...not even the evo was announced then actually...
but to tide you over next month update does bring cdma support, some major bug fixes, and a few other things. Sadly as gTen corrected me, it is carrier based...which means not good...either that or we need some f/w leaks and now
I may actually end up going to CES..I'm in town around that time so if I finish what I need to I may attend one of the days
Old 01-04-2011, 09:18 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 and every single phone verizon had...
Carrier: Verizon

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Az those are toys not the tablet for me =/
gten actually it would be great maybe ask courtney and see if you can do a writeup on your experience there that would bring ppcgeeks a lot more unique visitors too!
Old 01-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha

This is no toy --- >>> Asus: "This Is the Most Powerful Tablet in the World"

Asus just pulled out their Core i5-powered, Windows 7-running Eee Pad Slate tablet, calling it "the most powerful tablet in the world." Probably so! They proved their point by simultaneously playing 1080p video and running photo editing software.
The video seems to be running without any problems, and the handwriting recognition Asus is showing off is pretty impressive. So far so good! And it certainly looks good on paper: 12.1" multitouch IPS display; 64GB SSD with 4GB memory; 10.1 Flash capable, etc. It is certainly big and bad, but what remains to be seen is how useful it'll be as a tablet.

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b...1slate-pc.aspx
Old 01-04-2011, 09:25 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

It's running Android, that makes it a toy lol.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions