PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Galaxy S4 and Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint(03/09-Now), T-Mobile(06/06-now)

pesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: New Windows Phones Won't Run CurrentApps

it seems that its now proven that WM7 will not run apps from earlier WM platforms, that is unmodified(except for java based i suppose) but if you purchased the app from the company thats still around - write to them and ask if they intend to make it WM7 compatible. I still hope there will be a universal converter app - knowing MS WM7 cant be that much different from WM5 kernel.

When you can tether for free?: D
Old 03-06-2010, 04:10 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

SolApathy knows their stuffSolApathy knows their stuffSolApathy knows their stuffSolApathy knows their stuffSolApathy knows their stuffSolApathy knows their stuff

They should, at a minimum allow the previous WinMo 6x apps to work for 6 months after 7 is released. Give people some breathing room to see if 7 is something they want to develop for, and meanwhile providing customers the ability to have access to apps that have not been updated. I know they want to push this new interface & don't want to be stuck with apps that take avay from the eye-candy & fluidity of the product, but it's not feasable.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:49 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

FlatSurfSucks is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolApathy View Post
They should, at a minimum allow the previous WinMo 6x apps to work for 6 months after 7 is released. Give people some breathing room to see if 7 is something they want to develop for, and meanwhile providing customers the ability to have access to apps that have not been updated. I know they want to push this new interface & don't want to be stuck with apps that take avay from the eye-candy & fluidity of the product, but it's not feasable.
That means they'd have to include support for Windows.Forms and OpenGL which I don't think they've done and would take a considerable amount of effort. Besides, why would they allow something for 6months? The biggest people affected that they would care about are enterprise users and what makes you think 6months (or even 6yrs for that matter) would be acceptable for them to migrate?
Old 03-06-2010, 06:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

Tim Smith is keeping up the good workTim Smith is keeping up the good work

Quote:
If they allow them to work for 6 months why not permanently? Why not just abandoned 7 all together! They should never make another mobile operating system again! Wouldn't want to upset anyone.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:39 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON
Carrier: Verizon

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT

I wish people would finally wait to hear from MIX 2010 to hear everythng directly from MS, I'm seeing stuff all over the place that is not offical, also the fact that it's a alpha now, nothing is 100% final, so, you never know what is there and what will be final. Something could of changed today, or next week...

All I know, is from fact and pictures, on one of the images, they had TomTOM installed and was claimed to be working. Unless they got TomTom to create a custom app, it's running older software. Till MIX 2010, I don't believe anything I read unless it's 100% proven.

If they do change things....and disable all old apps. They better get it F'n right, this is their last shot with me. I have been a PocketPC user from 1.0 and most versions of the years (Thousands of $$$$ of the years). If they are going to make me trash all the apps and games I have paid for and I end up with a slugish OS, it will be the end of Windows Mobile and I....

This is about the only thing that really pisses me off about WP7...all the 100's of cool apps and games, worthless with WP7.

http://mc.anywherecool.com/Blog/
If I helped in anyway, please hit thanks !
Old 03-07-2010, 03:41 AM
Regular 'Geeker

SolApathy knows their stuffSolApathy knows their stuffSolApathy knows their stuffSolApathy knows their stuffSolApathy knows their stuffSolApathy knows their stuff

6 moths of support for current apps, after which they are no longer officially supported & future upgrades to the OS may break the backwards compatibility. You have to keep in mind the reason they are not supporting it at all is to prevent folks from using "ugly" legacy applications, not because it is too much effort to add the support.

MS is trying to re-image it's product. Supporting older apps will hinder that on the marketing side...Because why would developers invest in a new application development if the only thing they were building for would be eye candy.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:35 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: IPhone 4G to Iphone 5
Carrier: Sprint PCS

BBHOLIDAY knows their stuffBBHOLIDAY knows their stuffBBHOLIDAY knows their stuffBBHOLIDAY knows their stuffBBHOLIDAY knows their stuffBBHOLIDAY knows their stuff

Ok, so old apps wont work, that sucks! but will we be able to create new cabs for free like we currently can? or will we have to have everything approved by MS and pay developer licensing fees, etc? (like Iphone developers)

anyone know?

Old 03-08-2010, 04:33 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

FlatSurfSucks is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinCT View Post
I wish people would finally wait to hear from MIX 2010 to hear everythng directly from MS, I'm seeing stuff all over the place that is not offical, also the fact that it's a alpha now, nothing is 100% final, so, you never know what is there and what will be final. Something could of changed today, or next week...

All I know, is from fact and pictures, on one of the images, they had TomTOM installed and was claimed to be working. Unless they got TomTom to create a custom app, it's running older software. Till MIX 2010, I don't believe anything I read unless it's 100% proven.

If they do change things....and disable all old apps. They better get it F'n right, this is their last shot with me. I have been a PocketPC user from 1.0 and most versions of the years (Thousands of $$$$ of the years). If they are going to make me trash all the apps and games I have paid for and I end up with a slugish OS, it will be the end of Windows Mobile and I....

This is about the only thing that really pisses me off about WP7...all the 100's of cool apps and games, worthless with WP7.
It's official. The guy who is in charge of the developer experience posted it on his blog. That image was fake.

Quote:
6 moths of support for current apps, after which they are no longer officially supported & future upgrades to the OS may break the backwards compatibility. You have to keep in mind the reason they are not supporting it at all is to prevent folks from using "ugly" legacy applications, not because it is too much effort to add the support.

MS is trying to re-image it's product. Supporting older apps will hinder that on the marketing side...Because why would developers invest in a new application development if the only thing they were building for would be eye candy.
I'm curious how you know that it's "not because it is too much effort to add the support." It's a different base OS (CE6 vs 5.2) and there's no way all the old APIs would just work on 6. They would have to do a ton of work to bring up the old APIs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBHOLIDAY View Post
Ok, so old apps wont work, that sucks! but will we be able to create new cabs for free like we currently can? or will we have to have everything approved by MS and pay developer licensing fees, etc? (like Iphone developers)

anyone know?
It's not certain. But at a minimum we should be able to share apps like they do currently on the Zune/ZuneHD. It requires the dev tools to be installed on the user's machine in order to be able to deploy the files to the device but it can be done and it's free.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:41 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Because backward compatibility is a relatively simple process. Applications can be run in a legacy sandbox with little effort/additional footprint. The objective is to move forward. M$ knows if they cannot escape the Winmo 5.x-6.x stereotype Winmo 7 will fail & it will be a lot of wasted effort & a body-blow to M$ in the mobile marketplace.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions