PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2008, 05:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

alabij is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I really don't get the logic in the OP post. It argues with itself.

There is nothing great about the iPhone. There is nothing inovative about it. Having messed around with it. The iPhone is AOL to the internet. Aol designed the walledgarden and dummed down the internet. They restricted their users to their domain. It was very smart of them b the way and it made them great. Same thing with the iPhone, its a dummed down version of a smartphone, a handicapped smartphone at that.

Windows Mobile is the best right now. Why? Android is a rip-off of Windows Mobile.

Windows Mobile aka Windows CE is a building block. Windows Mobile is just the GUI. Microsoft allows the user to customize WM anyway they like. Without WM Handango and feloow others would never have existed. Sure Palm may have ruled the world before the PPC/PPCPE but MS opened the market. The idea of having a today screen that is comprised of plug-ins was ingenious.

MS could have designed a phone like the iPHone, locked down and restricted to only MS apps but they opened it up to cariers to do as they wish, all they provide are the building blocks. And what is Android, no more open source than Windows Mobile.

It's the same thing with MACS and PC's. Apple makes ll their hardware and almost all software. Don't get me wrong, I applaud apple for their smart business model. Dumming down technology for the average Joe. However, I'd take the customizability of a Windows Mobile phone over an iPhone or Android any day.

My first smartphone was the palm Kyocera QCP-6035 and my first PPCPE was the T-Mobile XDA. I've been there from the beginning and I can confidently say that the PPC has come a long way.

Furthermore, without WM, fanboi sites and developer sites like PPCGEEKS or XDA-devs wouldnt exist.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint Sero
Threadstarter

SyXbiT is a n00b
hopefully the mogul's 64MB of ram will be sufficient for android, cause it sure isn't on WM6
just try loading up a site like slickdeals.net on opera mobile.
even though you have a great EVDO connection, the phone crawls, as it runs out of memory.

Last edited by SyXbiT; 01-04-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

alabij is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyXbiT View Post
the point was, if the iPhone is already this good, in its FIRST revision, shouldn't WM be amazing. After all, they've been at it for years.

Microsoft has a HUGE advantage. being there first,

Again, its got nothing to do with being there first. Windows Mobile is geared towards an open minded and set of people/consumers who demand power and control. The iphone, like I stated in an earlier post is a walledgarden. It's designed for people who don't ask questions or need power they just want things to work for them. If you showed an iPhone user what your WM device could do with 3rd party apps, they'd be impressed but then they'd say" I don't really feel like going through all that"
Old 01-04-2008, 06:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre
Carrier: Sprint

Zyphlin is keeping up the good workZyphlin is keeping up the good work
I'm sorry Alabij but you're crazy. And you're trying to pass off your OPINION as if its some kind of fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabij View Post
I really don't get the logic in the OP post. It argues with itself.

There is nothing great about the iPhone. There is nothing inovative about it. Having messed around with it. The iPhone is AOL to the internet. Aol designed the walledgarden and dummed down the internet. They restricted their users to their domain. It was very smart of them b the way and it made them great. Same thing with the iPhone, its a dummed down version of a smartphone, a handicapped smartphone at that.
If there was truly nothign "great" about the iPhone there wouldn't be multiple skins and programs trying to replicate its launcher, nor programs trying to replicate its contacts menu or unlocker, nor skins to replicate its phone system. At the very least that shows that there is at least some good things about the device or there wouldn't be copy cats.

There is a number of "innovations". To begin, show me a mass marketed US PDA focused on non-stylus, touch screen access? The Touch and Voyager now, both banking off the iPhone's success.

As well, Apple took one of the long stated good things about the Palm OS...its simple and easy to use application launcher...and did improved it in ways that Palm hadn't probably imagined. They made it much more appealing to the eye asthetically, which is a huge thing when you're talking about a consumer market.

As well, what's the "killer feature" that every mobile browser is trying for now? Full page view + area Zoom.

Quote:
Windows Mobile is the best right now. Why? Android is a rip-off of Windows Mobile.

Windows Mobile aka Windows CE is a building block. Windows Mobile is just the GUI. Microsoft allows the user to customize WM anyway they like. Without WM Handango and feloow others would never have existed. Sure Palm may have ruled the world before the PPC/PPCPE but MS opened the market. The idea of having a today screen that is comprised of plug-ins was ingenious.
Completely subjective, though I happen to agree. With that said, being the best doesn't mean its great, nor perfect, nor unable to improve.

Your reasoning is EXACTLY the reason Palm is no longer king of the mountain. Palm was "The best right now" for a good long time. I still remember WinCE for PPC 1.0, which was ATTROCIOUS. But PPC kept improving little by little, and ended up actually over coming Palm as they were very, very slow to adopt the good things PPC was doing while keeping the things they did well.

"Why do we need to be able to run more than one program at a time, there's no use for that".

A common thing said by Palm enthusists 5+ years ago. They were kicking themselves sometime later. This seems to be the same attitude some WM users have in regards to some of the things the iPhone does well.

Palm wasn't kind of the world UNTIL PPC came into existance. They were kind of the world for much of the early and even middle days of the PPC's existance. PocketPC really didn't start whooping up on Palm until smart phones really began to gain more prominence.

Windows Mobile does do some great things. I love the today screen and what you can do with it. That doesn't mean that it can't learn to do some things better or take from what others do well and intigrate it. If you think the today screen is as good as it can be you're, imho, crazy.

Quote:
MS could have designed a phone like the iPHone, locked down and restricted to only MS apps but they opened it up to cariers to do as they wish, all they provide are the building blocks. And what is Android, no more open source than Windows Mobile.
OR MS could have designed a phone like the iPhone and kept it open.

Quote:
It's the same thing with MACS and PC's. Apple makes ll their hardware and almost all software. Don't get me wrong, I applaud apple for their smart business model. Dumming down technology for the average Joe. However, I'd take the customizability of a Windows Mobile phone over an iPhone or Android any day.
Indeed, and MS should take note of the blatant theft of some ideas for Vista that was present in OSX and do the same with windows mobile. Take what works well and blend it with what you do well instead of goign "Bah, people that like their way are stupid, ours is better".

You know what I'd take any day? The customizability of Windows Mobile with the philosophy behind the iPhone's interface.

Quote:
My first smartphone was the palm Kyocera QCP-6035 and my first PPCPE was the T-Mobile XDA. I've been there from the beginning and I can confidently say that the PPC has come a long way.
HAHAHA. The "beginning"? PPC has come a long way...from the point where the PDA's used to actually have a start menu, on the bottom, that was cascading and looked like a mini-desktop. Back on the old Compaq Aero's, HP Jornada series, and Casiopeia. The jump from the old Handheld PC interface to what became PocketPC was a HUUUUGE jump. There has not been a jump that large since the inception of the PocketPC and the OS badly needs such a jump again.

Quote:
Furthermore, without WM, fanboi sites and developer sites like PPCGEEKS or XDA-devs wouldnt exist.
And where was the OP saying that Windows Mobile shouldn't exist? The problem with windows mobile is its taken for granted its grown base and stopped innovating. It was innovation that originally made PocketPC have such a devoted base...its innovation in philosophy and use that has made the iPhone have such a devoted base...and its lack of innovation which is spurring discontent by many long time PPC users.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

quazimodem is keeping up the good workquazimodem is keeping up the good work
Quote:
Originally Posted by otacon72 View Post
Android will be to Windows Mobile as Linux is to Windows.....
I agree with that statement as well. Microsoft isn't stupid. They know what people what out of their mobile devices and they realize Windows Mobile is not perfect, things just take time. Consider this forum community here, we represent a very small fraction of mobile "power users" in the world but mobile/handheld technology really still is in its infancy. We're just so spoiled by it all and always want more... it's the nature of the beast. The "beast" being us.

Every other day or so, I troll these forums to see if there is anything new/cool that I can do on my Mogul just to keep myself feeling like I'm one of the few to have the coolest gadget. But the fact of the matter is, I have all that I need on my Mogul that fits my needs and that's the bottom line.

I'm sure Microsoft has something up their sleeves...
Old 01-04-2008, 07:09 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
MagicCap? Anyone?
Newton? Anyone?
USRobotics Pilot?
Pegasus?

Yep, way back in the old days, we were there. Back in the days of 1mb storage cards and 300 baud modems. Take a look at some of those Newton screenshots in wikipedia. Might look somewhat familiar. Of course, that was a funky OS with an even funkier programming language, and back then having a network connection of any kind on a pda was not only just a dream, it wasn't even close to anywhere near possible in the power budget.

The iWhatever is a far better first attempt then I really realized until I got my hands on one, cracked it open, looked at the full blown darwin/*nix OS under the stupid cartoon interface, and realized (like I can only assume much of the MS Mobile, Symbian, and Palm teams) that Apple just deployed a bombshell that was only going to get better. You cannot really appreciate the device playing with it in an apple store. You have to break the locks and get inside (today - very soon not even that) to see what they've actually done.

Really, at this point, the only competition is going to be android, and only because its open source and will run on HTC hardware - HTC being the only ones left standing who can make decent hardware. Microsoft wasted a 7 year head start with no domestic completion other then Palm, and they are going to be in serious catchup mode from now on. They've got Apple sucking up all the "screw this, I just want to use the damn thing... oh and if it were cool that would be nice too" market, and android sucking up all the "anything but Microsoft, oh and we hate Apple too" geeks. That leaves the fortune 500 suits. Good thing there are a lot of those, and they have budgets for this kinda stuff
Old 01-04-2008, 08:04 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Mogul

drew826 is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
Really, at this point, the only competition is going to be android...<snip>...That leaves the fortune 500 suits. Good thing there are a lot of those, and they have budgets for this kinda stuff
Don't forget about RIM...all the suits I support use Blackberries. The network admin at my company & I use Windows Mobile devices, some of the web people have iPhones, but nearly every "suit" carries a blackberry. I'd be willing to bet that's more competition to MS than any of the other groups, if nothing more than for the fact that Blackberries can be made to work quite well with an exchange server.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:33 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

monkey is keeping up the good workmonkey is keeping up the good work
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyXbiT View Post
hopefully the mogul's 64MB of ram will be sufficient for android, cause it sure isn't on WM6
just try loading up a site like slickdeals.net on opera mobile.
even though you have a great EVDO connection, the phone crawls, as it runs out of memory.
are you using your storage card to store the internet files? and do you have opera installed on your storage card? using the storage card for both has worked for me.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:15 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Raphel
Carrier: Spring

Nunim is a n00b
Yeah, RIM is very popular because it's a true business oriented device. No matter what label they slap on the Mogul, it's more of a geeks toy then a serious business tool. Blackberries offer a less shiny but more functional interface then the iPhone without the do it yourself feel of Windows Mobile. Things work well out of the box
Old 01-05-2008, 01:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: Sprint Sero
Threadstarter

SyXbiT is a n00b
I think if android wasn't coming soon, I'd switch out to a perl 8130. best choice on sero right now IMHO. I just have to be patient

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions