View Single Post
Old 01-04-2008, 06:19 PM
Zyphlin
PPCGeeks Regular

Zyphlin is keeping up the good workZyphlin is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm sorry Alabij but you're crazy. And you're trying to pass off your OPINION as if its some kind of fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabij View Post
I really don't get the logic in the OP post. It argues with itself.

There is nothing great about the iPhone. There is nothing inovative about it. Having messed around with it. The iPhone is AOL to the internet. Aol designed the walledgarden and dummed down the internet. They restricted their users to their domain. It was very smart of them b the way and it made them great. Same thing with the iPhone, its a dummed down version of a smartphone, a handicapped smartphone at that.
If there was truly nothign "great" about the iPhone there wouldn't be multiple skins and programs trying to replicate its launcher, nor programs trying to replicate its contacts menu or unlocker, nor skins to replicate its phone system. At the very least that shows that there is at least some good things about the device or there wouldn't be copy cats.

There is a number of "innovations". To begin, show me a mass marketed US PDA focused on non-stylus, touch screen access? The Touch and Voyager now, both banking off the iPhone's success.

As well, Apple took one of the long stated good things about the Palm OS...its simple and easy to use application launcher...and did improved it in ways that Palm hadn't probably imagined. They made it much more appealing to the eye asthetically, which is a huge thing when you're talking about a consumer market.

As well, what's the "killer feature" that every mobile browser is trying for now? Full page view + area Zoom.

Quote:
Windows Mobile is the best right now. Why? Android is a rip-off of Windows Mobile.

Windows Mobile aka Windows CE is a building block. Windows Mobile is just the GUI. Microsoft allows the user to customize WM anyway they like. Without WM Handango and feloow others would never have existed. Sure Palm may have ruled the world before the PPC/PPCPE but MS opened the market. The idea of having a today screen that is comprised of plug-ins was ingenious.
Completely subjective, though I happen to agree. With that said, being the best doesn't mean its great, nor perfect, nor unable to improve.

Your reasoning is EXACTLY the reason Palm is no longer king of the mountain. Palm was "The best right now" for a good long time. I still remember WinCE for PPC 1.0, which was ATTROCIOUS. But PPC kept improving little by little, and ended up actually over coming Palm as they were very, very slow to adopt the good things PPC was doing while keeping the things they did well.

"Why do we need to be able to run more than one program at a time, there's no use for that".

A common thing said by Palm enthusists 5+ years ago. They were kicking themselves sometime later. This seems to be the same attitude some WM users have in regards to some of the things the iPhone does well.

Palm wasn't kind of the world UNTIL PPC came into existance. They were kind of the world for much of the early and even middle days of the PPC's existance. PocketPC really didn't start whooping up on Palm until smart phones really began to gain more prominence.

Windows Mobile does do some great things. I love the today screen and what you can do with it. That doesn't mean that it can't learn to do some things better or take from what others do well and intigrate it. If you think the today screen is as good as it can be you're, imho, crazy.

Quote:
MS could have designed a phone like the iPHone, locked down and restricted to only MS apps but they opened it up to cariers to do as they wish, all they provide are the building blocks. And what is Android, no more open source than Windows Mobile.
OR MS could have designed a phone like the iPhone and kept it open.

Quote:
It's the same thing with MACS and PC's. Apple makes ll their hardware and almost all software. Don't get me wrong, I applaud apple for their smart business model. Dumming down technology for the average Joe. However, I'd take the customizability of a Windows Mobile phone over an iPhone or Android any day.
Indeed, and MS should take note of the blatant theft of some ideas for Vista that was present in OSX and do the same with windows mobile. Take what works well and blend it with what you do well instead of goign "Bah, people that like their way are stupid, ours is better".

You know what I'd take any day? The customizability of Windows Mobile with the philosophy behind the iPhone's interface.

Quote:
My first smartphone was the palm Kyocera QCP-6035 and my first PPCPE was the T-Mobile XDA. I've been there from the beginning and I can confidently say that the PPC has come a long way.
HAHAHA. The "beginning"? PPC has come a long way...from the point where the PDA's used to actually have a start menu, on the bottom, that was cascading and looked like a mini-desktop. Back on the old Compaq Aero's, HP Jornada series, and Casiopeia. The jump from the old Handheld PC interface to what became PocketPC was a HUUUUGE jump. There has not been a jump that large since the inception of the PocketPC and the OS badly needs such a jump again.

Quote:
Furthermore, without WM, fanboi sites and developer sites like PPCGEEKS or XDA-devs wouldnt exist.
And where was the OP saying that Windows Mobile shouldn't exist? The problem with windows mobile is its taken for granted its grown base and stopped innovating. It was innovation that originally made PocketPC have such a devoted base...its innovation in philosophy and use that has made the iPhone have such a devoted base...and its lack of innovation which is spurring discontent by many long time PPC users.