PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2008, 08:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Apache>Mogul>Touch>Blackberry>Diamond>Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

MannyPR is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgamber View Post
Well, would you want linux or would you want to get things done? I wonder if you could slap OSX86 on it? I know for a fact you can't on the Q1.
You can but it doesn't work really good and requires lots of tweaking since OS X only supports SSE3 and the processor only supports SSE2. Doable but for megageeks only.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Apache>Mogul>Touch>Blackberry>Diamond>Touch Pro
Threadstarter

MannyPR is becoming a great contributor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
Wow. I didn't realize the thing was under 500 bucks too.

Is it hard to throw WinXP on it?

I've been wanting a laptop to take with me to work, when I travel back home or other places, etc...but at the same time didn't want to pay out the ass or get some giant thing. This is...wow.

The thing reminds me of my old Jornada 820
I installed it with a standard XP installation CD without issues and the drivers are included in the CD that comes with the notebook so it is a smooth installation. I removed some stuff (like languages) after installation with XPLite which is much easier than nlite but nlite and many of the TinyXP versions (Rev 6 and Platinum 2) work well too.

Total installation after installing Office 2003 and some other programs came to 2.2gb so I still have plenty of space in the SSD and I also got a 16GB SDHC card for my documents. For less than 600 I got an UMPC running XP SP3 RC1 with 2GB ram and 20gb storage and a U727 Sprint USB broadband card to top it off. I could only be happier if I Seidio would come with an extended battery for it so I could get 5 hours without recharging.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:18 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC-6700

MrX10 is a n00b
Re: eee PC, the Foleo of WM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyPR View Post
I recently acquired an Asus eee PC 4G and it has become for me what Palm probably intended the Foleo to be for their platform, the perfect smartphone companion. I removed the Linux that comes pre-installed and replaced it with a slim version of Windows XP. I can do pretty much anything I can do in a full desktop as well as edit documents I receive on my smartphone with a full keyboard and then send them back. I know it probably works with every phone on the planet but I decided to post it in the Touch forum since that is what I have and they work great as a combo.
Pardon the noob here...I just obtained an Eee-pc and would like to use my PPC6700 (modified to run WM6 from info found here) to serve as a wireless modem. I have successfully used the phone do this with a Vista Laptop, but haven't a clue about linux or where to start. Any suggestions (aside from dumping linux and loading XP)?
Old 02-28-2008, 10:07 PM
VW
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

VW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I would suggest go to EEEUser.com

That is the definitive EEE forum and I have seen information on Linux and Sprint tethering.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint PCS

psiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuff
Question Re: eee PC, the Foleo of WM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyPR View Post
I installed it with a standard XP installation CD without issues and the drivers are included in the CD that comes with the notebook so it is a smooth installation. I removed some stuff (like languages) after installation with XPLite which is much easier than nlite but nlite and many of the TinyXP versions (Rev 6 and Platinum 2) work well too.

Total installation after installing Office 2003 and some other programs came to 2.2gb so I still have plenty of space in the SSD and I also got a 16GB SDHC card for my documents. For less than 600 I got an UMPC running XP SP3 RC1 with 2GB ram and 20gb storage and a U727 Sprint USB broadband card to top it off. I could only be happier if I Seidio would come with an extended battery for it so I could get 5 hours without recharging.
Have you tried it with Windows PE? I have a copy of the "Ultimate Boot CD for Windows" I put on a bootable USB Stick and combined it with the "Portable Apps" suite, and would love to know if that config would work...
Old 06-04-2008, 01:08 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch
Carrier: sprint

lordkilltacular is a n00b

It'll work, I have booted many different OS from usb on an EEEpc. Its fun to play with and I can get them at a good price.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:13 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

marchande is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgamber View Post
Well, would you want linux or would you want to get things done? I wonder if you could slap OSX86 on it? I know for a fact you can't on the Q1.
accualy.. I have read up on that.. the q2 does have the ability(not sure on the q1 though) to run OS X on it.. but the guy who did it is not releaseing the how to.... (possibly vapor) there have been reports in teh wild of the EEE runing osx on it as well..
Old 06-04-2008, 01:25 PM
╚════════════════╝
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 & HTC Hero

jethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to jethro_static

I wanna trade my iphone 8gb for a UMPC anyone?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions