PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 02:22 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Microsoft Killing Off Windows Mobile 6.x Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Last I checked WP7 did not have WebM support :/...as for whats so good about WebM? well in terms of quality it is not better then H264, but its not too far behind. Except H264 is owned by license holders. So if you use H264 for commercial use you have to pay licensing fees..where as WebM is free...
I dont know if u have a wp7 with the mango beta on hand or not but it does work. webM is pretty much optional right now because I see an option below each video that says try webM for IE9. I don't really goto YouTube much anymore anyway im usually at dailymotion and the videos on there play flawlessly on IEM9. I'm also in the process of having all my subscriptions and friends on YouTube migrate over to dailymotion.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:58 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
I dont know if u have a wp7 with the mango beta on hand or not but it does work. webM is pretty much optional right now because I see an option below each video that says try webM for IE9. I don't really goto YouTube much anymore anyway im usually at dailymotion and the videos on there play flawlessly on IEM9. I'm also in the process of having all my subscriptions and friends on YouTube migrate over to dailymotion.
Are you talking about mango or youtube? cause what may be going on is that YouTube is checking your browser and is reading it as IE9, not IE9 mobile..and Google has an "optional" plugin for IE9 desktop version..not mobile version..hence why you can't play the videos...you need either flash or WebM support...

On side note..if I remember correctly..DailyMotion uses Theora...I don't think IE9 supports that either out of box(in browser at least)..or it launches zune which then plays via hardware decode?

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)

Last edited by gTen; 08-16-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:23 PM
Banned User

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP

Quote:
Are you talking about mango or youtube? cause what may be going on is that YouTube is checking your browser and is reading it as IE9, not IE9 mobile..and Google has an "optional" plugin for IE9 desktop version..not mobile version..hence why you can't play the videos...you need either flash or WebM support...

On side note..if I remember correctly..DailyMotion uses Theora...I don't think IE9 supports that either out of box(in browser at least)..or it launches zune which then plays via hardware decode?
all html5 videos in mango so far seem to launch into Zune via hardware decode,I actually like this better so far than using the apps because the playback seems to be more HW accelerated and because I can find the adult videos on dailymotion which the app currently doesn't support. I haven't tried dailymotion videos in desktop IE9 yet but it says that it works on the html5 enable page.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:56 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
all html5 videos in mango so far seem to launch into Zune via hardware decode,I actually like this better so far than using the apps because the playback seems to be more HW accelerated and because I can find the adult videos on dailymotion which the app currently doesn't support. I haven't tried dailymotion videos in desktop IE9 yet but it says that it works on the html5 enable page.
Ok, that make sense because IE9 by default only supports H264 for HTML5 video, Theora and WebM are only supported via plugins on the Desktop IE9. If it launches zune then you are going off the codecs the device supports. I would think Theora is supported by hardware decode via the 1st gen snapdragon because it existed at the time. WebM on the other hand is a new codec which came out AFTER. So there would be no way 1st gen snapdragon to have hardware decode, it would require software decode on M$ part..And since M$ will not give out native access, Google can't make a plugin for it either.

To not, I am not trying to defend Google or blame M$, but in this particular case, Google is not doing it on purpose...I mean they make money off youtube ads..so if they could do it they would...
Old 08-16-2011, 04:03 PM
Banned User

Quote:
Ok, that make sense because IE9 by default only supports H264 for HTML5 video, Theora and WebM are only supported via plugins on the Desktop IE9. If it launches zune then you are going off the codecs the device supports. I would think Theora is supported by hardware decode via the 1st gen snapdragon because it existed at the time. WebM on the other hand is a new codec which came out AFTER. So there would be no way 1st gen snapdragon to have hardware decode, it would require software decode on M$ part..And since M$ will not give out native access, Google can't make a plugin for it either.

To not, I am not trying to defend Google or blame M$, but in this particular case, Google is not doing it on purpose...I mean they make money off youtube ads..so if they could do it they would...
"if they could do it they would"? then why didn't they give MS the APIs needed to integrate YouTube into wp7?
Old 08-16-2011, 04:40 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
"if they could do it they would"? then why didn't they give MS the APIs needed to integrate YouTube into wp7?
That is because the API that M$ is asking for is deprecated..The only reason why iphone and Android has it was because they got the API before it was deprecated so it works as a legacy.

Right now the only API Google supports is the public API which everyone has access to...
Old 08-16-2011, 10:46 PM
Banned User

Quote:
That is because the API that M$ is asking for is deprecated..The only reason why iphone and Android has it was because they got the API before it was deprecated so it works as a legacy.

Right now the only API Google supports is the public API which everyone has access to...
jaja u should be a spokesman for Google.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:02 AM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
jaja u should be a spokesman for Google.
umm..no..I am just telling you what the spokesman for google said in response to the spokesman for microsoft..
Old 08-17-2011, 02:37 AM
Banned User

Quote:
umm..no..I am just telling you what the spokesman for google said in response to the spokesman for microsoft..
this wasnt reported on WPCentral or WMPowerUser
Old 08-17-2011, 10:34 AM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
this wasnt reported on WPCentral or WMPowerUser
um..ok..that doesnt mean it never happened...

‘Shoe on the other foot’: Microsoft takes on Google’s business practices | The Microsoft Blog - seattlepi.com

also google at a later time made their own blog post about it saying they would work with M$ is M$ partners with them:

Microsoft's Antitrust Complaint

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions