PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Mobile Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Microsoft Killing Off Windows Mobile 6.x Services (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=144413)

Hypnotic2010 06-09-2011 08:14 AM

Microsoft Killing Off Windows Mobile 6.x Services

By Eric M. Zeman

Microsoft today announced that it is ratcheting down the number of active services available to Windows Mobile 6.x devices starting next month.

On July 15, Microsoft will shut down the desktop version of the Windows Marketplace for Mobile web site, after which time users won't be able to browse or download apps via a PC. The Marketplace will continue to be available from WinMo handsets for the time being.

On August 7, Microsoft will disconnect its My Phone back-up service. Microsoft said that it will move users' contacts, calendar entries, text messages and photos to SkyDrive, but it will not move videos, music, documents and favorites. Users of Microsoft's My Phone service are recommended to back that content up elsewhere. Microsoft said that customers will be able to use their existing Windows Live ID to access their content in SkyDrive.

On October 6, the My Phone web site and service will be shut down permanently. At least five Windows Mobile 6.x devices are available for sale from U.S. carriers, including the HTC TouchPro 2/Tilt2, LG Fathom, and the Samsung Jack.
from Microsoft
http://img.phonescoop.com/img/s/share_fb_tw.gif

demonlordoftheround 06-09-2011 08:54 AM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.2; en-us; FROYO X GINGER 2.2.2 Build/FROYO X GINGER 2.2.2) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

And people wonder why Android is so popular.

Tmair 06-10-2011 12:05 AM

Re: Microsoft Killing Off Windows Mobile 6.x Services

And I was just wondering why the most expencive phone on Sprints web site is a WM 6.5.1 device?!
Personily I got so tired of waiting for apps to load, only numbered keys on the keyboard working on the calculator, and every other unholy thing about WM 6.5 (Atleast the model I have) that I switched back to Palm Treos, and I'm glad I did!!
Terry

MrGoodtunes 06-18-2011 02:33 PM

While it's sad to me in a way, that MS is dropping these services, fact is...
I never felt the need for any of them!

j8bit 06-18-2011 09:40 PM

MyPhone was a godsend when walking people through a hard reset, who also didn't have Outlook. I guess it's good I don't get many of those calls any more.

kingsree 08-14-2011 10:25 AM

Myphone is a great application with lot of functionality that other Competitors (Apple, Google) still haven't mimicked.

Sad to see Microsoft dump all of their unique apps that differentiated them (MyPhone, KIN Studio) from others, without any plans to bring them back in WP7.

Dr.8820 08-14-2011 01:47 PM

I still have my tp2 and hd2, but I have officially retired windows mobile.

Sent from The Syndicate using my HTC HD7

fixxxer2012 08-14-2011 08:15 PM

end of an era... i sort of miss it although android is 10x better and a more advanced winmo i always say. wp7 just doesn't cut it for me, im too much into themeing.

eric12341 08-14-2011 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixxxer2008 (Post 2137584)
end of an era... i sort of miss it although android is 10x better and a more advanced winmo i always say. wp7 just doesn't cut it for me, im too much into themeing.

a more advanced winmo that infringes on patents from oracle,apple,Microsoft and maybe even a few other companies.

gTen 08-15-2011 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric12341 (Post 2137619)
a more advanced winmo that infringes on patents from oracle,apple,Microsoft and maybe even a few other companies.

And as consumers we care...because? Personally at end of the day I don't care who copied who or who stole whose patent..as long as I get the best outcome as a product in my hands.

I follow this rule:

Do I work or have shares for company A?
Do I work or have shares for company B?

If the answer to both questions is no..then it really don't matter...companies have lawyers..let them figure it out...

But I do not like when companies sue everyone for dumb/simple things...like Apple is doing now..