PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 02:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro2/Touch Pro/Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

Atomic2Mod is keeping up the good workAtomic2Mod is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: windows 7: iphone series (2 steps forward, 3 steps back)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Again... in the grand scheme of things from a business standpoint the wants and whims of most here are pretty insignificant. The sooner you understand that the easier itll be to see why they made the change.
well, nooo. I'm not going to have the cool-aid today. You go ahead though! Enjoy!
Old 03-17-2010, 03:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Existentialism is keeping up the good workExistentialism is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Again... in the grand scheme of things from a business standpoint the wants and whims of most here are pretty insignificant. The sooner you understand that the easier itll be to see why they made the change.

Cloning your competitor years after the fact with maybe 1 or 2 minor differences provides no compelling reason for people to switch to your platform. It's the very reason that the Zune brand has failed so miserably. Is it technically better? Yes, but not by enough to compell people to switch. Only thing windows phone has to differentiate it from iPhone is netflix, FM radio, and a massive lack of apps. Not enough to compel people to switch I would think.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:17 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

testacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Smith View Post
So basically you want microsoft to never build a new mobile OS. You just want them to keep tweaking 6.5 forever? You've completely given up on the OS before it's even completed or shown outside of a couple early conferences. At least wait until reviewers get a hold of it before you freak out and overreact.
Sure I don't mind if they create a whole new OS, what I do mind though is that the new implementation lacks what the old currently has i.e. removable flash, copy/paste, file system access, multitasking and open platform for starters. They couldn't even clone the feature set of the current iPhone OS, they chose to run with something more primitive and doesn't support copy/paste. I'm supposed to be happy that they stole Apples ideology, attempted to cloned their business practices and botched the basic function that Windows is supposed to provide? Epic fail on their part IMO, it shouldn't even be called Windows at all. Everything that made this platform unique like a desktop computer is basically stripped away leaving some new shell of an OS.

For all the Apple bashing that goes on in these forums, I can't believe that more of you aren't as ed as I am. Some of you are even defending Microsoft--shame on you, we should be bashing them right now before release. Look what complaining did to the end of life of Windows XP. They caved over and over again for almost 18 additional months. All they seem to care about right now is the cell phone providers and not the end users. I can't wait until all you Microsoft "fanboys" find out the amount of apps that'll probably be rejected. We can see her lips through that burka or the carriers say, wah too much bandwidth--remove it from your app store and MS says, "yes sir!".

Welcome to the dark ages of fascist cell phone dictatorship...
Old 03-17-2010, 06:25 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2 & EVO

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff

I went w/Windows only because of multi-tasking. The thought of not having it gives me a reason to seriously consider another platform. However, not being able to install to the card, and other issues are a big concern.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:51 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC T7380

Mutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to Mutiny32 Send a message via AIM to Mutiny32 Send a message via MSN to Mutiny32 Send a message via Skype™ to Mutiny32

No side-loading of apps, no multi-tasking, and especially no cut & paste...yep, My TP2 will be the last phone I ever own that runs a Microsoft OS.

What a joke. They should have built it from Singularity/Midori if they were going to do it over & do it right.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2

frazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I really think Microsoft is gambling really hard. They are doing what no one else in the industry was dumb enough to do. They copied Apple in every way almost in an attempt to capture the new consumer market...

On paper is sounds like a great idea. Apple has sold millions of them on one carrier and continues to sell them. By copying them with the ability to be on all carriers you might stand a chance at doing some real sales...

Problem is I don't think Microsoft has what Apple has. Microsoft can't come out with a "me too" device and get it to sell like hot cakes. Apple has a unique brand identity (cool, hip, and iconic) that Microsoft lacks. The core users like us who fuel Android* and Windows Mobile currently will drop Windows Phone 7 Series for Android or RIM. Microsoft has to get some serious traction in the consumer market for this to work. As they basically have to sell enough to replace us and to exceed us by a LARGE number. VERY VERY risky.

The argument that Microsoft has to ditch all the things we love, multi-tasking; storage cards; copy-paste; etc., to chase the consumer market is false. Google isn't having a problem chasing it and they have all of these features!

*Android is currently the fastest selling Smartphone OS in the US.

Microsoft has made a "me too" and I am very sure they will fail. If Apple allows the iPhone on more than just AT&T this June then MS is REALLY done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by testacon View Post
Sure I don't mind if they create a whole new OS, what I do mind though is that the new implementation lacks what the old currently has i.e. removable flash, copy/paste, file system access, multitasking and open platform for starters. They couldn't even clone the feature set of the current iPhone OS, they chose to run with something more primitive and doesn't support copy/paste. I'm supposed to be happy that they stole Apples ideology, attempted to cloned their business practices and botched the basic function that Windows is supposed to provide? Epic fail on their part IMO, it shouldn't even be called Windows at all. Everything that made this platform unique like a desktop computer is basically stripped away leaving some new shell of an OS.

For all the Apple bashing that goes on in these forums, I can't believe that more of you aren't as ed as I am. Some of you are even defending Microsoft--shame on you, we should be bashing them right now before release. Look what complaining did to the end of life of Windows XP. They caved over and over again for almost 18 additional months. All they seem to care about right now is the cell phone providers and not the end users. I can't wait until all you Microsoft "fanboys" find out the amount of apps that'll probably be rejected. We can see her lips through that burka or the carriers say, wah too much bandwidth--remove it from your app store and MS says, "yes sir!".

Welcome to the dark ages of fascist cell phone dictatorship...
Well said.
Free Disposable Email: MyTrashMail

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions