PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 03:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon

whetzel is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: windows 7: iphone series (2 steps forward, 3 steps back)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Smith View Post
I love how all these so called "loyal" users are so quick to jump ship several months before a product is even launched or the public has a chance to get it's hands on it. Doesn't sound to loyal to me.
Personally, for me, I've seen/heard enough about it to know it's not what I want in a smart phone.

I have about 9 months before I can upgrade my phone, so I'll actually get to see WM7 before I make my final decision, but I'm 98% sure I'll be buying an Android phone for my next phone.

The only reason I didn't buy an Android phone instead of my TP2 is because Android was still pretty new when I got it and I wanted to see the direction Android was going to take before I "jumped ship".

So far I'm really liking the direction Android is going and, in my opinion, Android has already passed WM in pretty much every area and it's only going to get better in the coming months/years.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc evo 4g/bb 8310
Carrier: sprint/att
Threadstarter

skoobz is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Netscape was waaaaaaay ahead of internet explorer in the early days. Good thing you weren't running Microsoft back then.

What if I don't like the one they make for your grandma or the one they make for you? Should they make three? How about four? How about hundreds of versions just to be safe!

sure, i'd like that. we have 40 versions of windows 7 desktop os, ranging from starter to gigantor ultima darth greyskull edition---why not use that same strategy in our phones?

of course we're bashing the damn os, it does exactly the same thing the iphone does. you're missing the freakin' point which is the things we love about the old broken os is no more. how the hell do you expect us to embrace the very thing we loathe?
Old 03-16-2010, 08:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

Tim Smith is keeping up the good workTim Smith is keeping up the good work

So basically you want microsoft to never build a new mobile OS. You just want them to keep tweaking 6.5 forever? You've completely given up on the OS before it's even completed or shown outside of a couple early conferences. At least wait until reviewers get a hold of it before you freak out and overreact.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Existentialism is keeping up the good workExistentialism is keeping up the good work

Quote:
I love how all these so called "loyal" users are so quick to jump ship several months before a product is even launched or the public has a chance to get it's hands on it. Doesn't sound to loyal to me.
Loyalty to a brand is idiotic. You use what's best and what works, and so far WM7 looks like $#!# compared to android and WM 6.5

As far as the guy who is saying this is purely a business move. How is coming out with a dumbass phone that can't do things the other big competitors on the market make any sense from a merketing perspective. You know what makes sense. Coming out with a better goddamn product and marketing the hell out of the fact that your phone can do everything the competitor can't. Like say, I don't know, Multi-tasking? Copy and Paste? Extra storage? Side loading of apps? File management? Customisability?

Next thing we'll be hearing is MS is banning hardware manufacturers from providing access to the batteries, because they wouldn't want us stupid ass users lessening our experience by attempting something like changing a battery.

Last edited by Existentialism; 03-18-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

Tim Smith is keeping up the good workTim Smith is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Existentialism View Post
Like say, I don't know, Multi-tasking? Copy and Paste? Extra storage? Side loading of apps? File management? Customisability?
First of all, the copy and paste thing: http://twitter.com/thurrott/statuses/10593003663 but people will ignore this and continue to overreact.

Second. Multitasking, define multitasking. Extra storage? Why would you need it if the phone comes with 32gb or 64gb internal storage or more? File management is there. You just have to use the Zune software to do it supposedly (I still want to see this put to the test to confirm specifically what this means), not the best way but it works just fine with the Zune. How do you know how limited the customization will be? Just another instance of overreacting. Wait until reviewers get their hands on it, that will clear up a lot of this bullshit. Then once it's launched if you don't think the mod/hack community won't open that shit up you're crazy. There hasn't been anything announced worth freaking out and panicking over.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:01 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Existentialism is keeping up the good workExistentialism is keeping up the good work

I replied to the copy paste thing in the other thread, so I'll leave that there.

Quote:
Second. Multitasking, define multitasking.
As in, can I run multiple run multiple third party apps at once? Short answer, no. Long answer: maybe some if we decide to let you.

Quote:
Extra storage? Why would you need it if the phone comes with 32gb or 64gb internal storage or more?
Because I might need more than 32GB of storage maybe? Fact is, you don't know how much storage they're going to come with. Minimum req is 8, but what if I run out of space? Why can't I add more? I'm stuck with 16GB because that's the limit of technology right now, but when 32GB comes out I damn well want to be able to use that card. Any more storage I can get, I can use, and you better believe I want it. The fact is, I can do it now, so why won't I be able to with this new-fangled OS? How does it affect anybody's user experience, except the way removing it negatively affects mine?

Quote:
File management is there. You just have to use the Zune software to do it supposedly (I still want to see this put to the test to confirm specifically what this means), not the best way but it works just fine with the Zune.
So it's not there, despite your convoluted apologism.

Quote:
How do you know how limited the customization will be?
Because I am literate. They've said no skinning of the OS, that's less customizable already. They said no side loading of apps, guess what that means? Less customization.

Quote:
Then once it's launched if you don't think the mod/hack community won't open that shit up you're crazy.
Point is, shouldn't have to. This is not the iPhone and MS should not be Apple.

Last edited by Existentialism; 03-17-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:22 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Vogues & an S4 Mini

MrGoodtunes knows their stuffMrGoodtunes knows their stuffMrGoodtunes knows their stuffMrGoodtunes knows their stuffMrGoodtunes knows their stuffMrGoodtunes knows their stuffMrGoodtunes knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic2Mod View Post
...I'll be the retro dino user, who opts for WM6.89 down the road.
...as will I!
Old 03-17-2010, 02:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telus

daoom is just getting started

Quote:
Who said anything about loyalty. I use a winmo device at the moment because it allows me to do what I want and I'm just a small shove away from jumping ship to an Android or Linux based device.

If the new OS is locked and limits you the way the iPhone does then I'll find something else because I don't want an iPhone. If on the other hand the limits are only superficial and meant to keep my dad from messing up his phone while I can still "unlock it" (much as we do now with our phones) and exploit it to my heart's content then I'll be happy.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:05 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO3D;EVO4G;TP2;Treo Pro;TP;Mogul

u8myfoood is keeping up the good worku8myfoood is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to u8myfoood

The point of WP7 was to ADD on additional features, WHILE RETAINING old features that loyalist love about the phone's O/S. Instead MS decided to just screw with us and add features that seem nice at first then took away the stuff that separated WM6.5 from the iPhone.

And by multitasking I would prefer being able to open my gps program, minimize it, browse the web/bing to check out movie times, while streaming music on it, without closing each one and loading every time i want to use another app.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:49 PM
The EVO Guru
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

brownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Again... in the grand scheme of things from a business standpoint the wants and whims of most here are pretty insignificant. The sooner you understand that the easier itll be to see why they made the change.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions