PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > iPhone > General iPhone Discussions

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2009, 12:50 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

eehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regulareehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regulareehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regulareehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regulareehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Iphone on Verizon.... TODAY!?!?!?

I find it hard to belive that Verizon has 3G infrastructure built out for GSM be it HSPA or even EDGE.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Flat-Out-Addicted
Pocket PC: Nexus S 4G

syanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the community

verizon does have a gsm network from the past and i tried to get them to lock a sim to an iphone, but they said that phone is not on their "approved gsm phone list"... and they would not tell me what is on that list.

I work for vzw, but not on employee pricing yet, so i told them something completely different. Maybe the xperia x1 is on their approval list and i can just give them the esn of the iphone telling them its from the x1...

I will try that today, and we will go from there.

but all-in-all the rep told me that they do activate gsm phones for their network, they just need to be approved.

@ LittleBreezes: The BB Tour does not work on the GSM network. The sim is there incase you travel globally, then it will work on GSM over seas. It is still a CDMA device in the States. But if you unlock the Tour, it can be used on T-Mobile or AT&T here in the US.

If I helped ya or If you like my work, I don't want donations, I don't want coffee, but a simple THANKS
would do the trick!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:41 PM
Serving the Metro DC Area
Pocket PC: Thunderbolt,9530 (Blackberry)
Carrier: Verizon, Sprint

Adrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to Adrianh85 Send a message via Skype™ to Adrianh85

Quote:
Originally Posted by eehrhard View Post
I find it hard to belive that Verizon has 3G infrastructure built out for GSM be it HSPA or even EDGE.
this will all change when lte lunches!!! is there anyone here that lives in las vegas? lte is being tested there and lte is said to be backwards comatible with gsm!!! At&t + verizon joint venture!!!

Old 10-18-2009, 04:03 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch
Carrier: verizon

dancomer is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to dancomer

i want A DAMN IPHONE on verizon
Old 11-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: IPhone 4G to Iphone 5
Carrier: Sprint PCS

BBHOLIDAY knows their stuffBBHOLIDAY knows their stuffBBHOLIDAY knows their stuffBBHOLIDAY knows their stuffBBHOLIDAY knows their stuffBBHOLIDAY knows their stuff

I've seen articles about the Iphone possibly soon being released to other carriers besides AT&T. It could just be someone testing before the release. Your best bet is to ask the person who says they have it.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:24 PM
VIP Droid
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC EVO 3D

Genjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuff
Send a message via Skype™ to Genjinaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by syanni85 View Post
could definitely be a mifi router from verizon.
Ditto

I borrow my cousins iPod Touch & use it with a Sprint MiFi router.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Robin Hood of CyberSpace
Pocket PC: Lumia 635
Carrier: T-Mobile

CyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to CyberMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to CyberMonkey

I head through the grape vines that Apple wants to put the iPhones out to the other carriers, but AT&T is trying to extend their exclusiveness for another few years.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid 2
Carrier: Verizon

outlaw.99 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to outlaw.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancomer View Post
i want A DAMN IPHONE on verizon

/agreed

My iTouch is probably the only Apple device I have ever liked....But I like it a lot, and if it can become my phone and still sync with Outlook, then sign me up for 3 years if you have to Verizon...
Old 01-20-2010, 12:22 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO Shift 4G

JQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBreezes View Post
Interesting fact came out of a conversation with a Verizon rep the other day. If you have an unlocked GSM device you can ask VZ to take its ESN and issue you a Verizon GSM SIM card that is locked to the ESN of that device. In fact, the BB Bold and the new Tour on VZ come from the factory that way. They are really GSM phones that VZ installed VZ SIM cards that are locked to each ESN. Both the devices and SIM cards are locked so what you cannot do is take a TMobile or AT&T SIM and put it into a VZ BB Tour. Conversely, you cannot take a VZ SIM card and put it inot any unlocked GSM device, it has to be locked to the the ESN of that device. Evidentally, VZ still operates enough GSM towers (and leases time on others) that this works for them. This is an interesting alternative for folks that need to usea GSM device (like an unlocked IPhone from New Zealand) on Verizon's network. If you are a pre existing VZ customer call them up and tell them that your employer is now going to make you use their GSM device but you want to keep VZ's network. THey will ask you for the ESN of the GSM device and if they can get a SIM card locked to it they will put it on their network. Pretty interesting, I was not aware of this until the other day.
Frankie

My friend did this with his iPhone. What you have to do is unlock the iPhone (obviously) and hack the Verizon sim card that comes with the BBtour and just retain the PRL information for the Blackberry on the sim-card while wiping any link to the original ESN...this is how Verizon thinks the phone is a Blackberry. But you also have to block the iPhone from sending its information out to the sim card and then to the Verizon towers. Before you ask this is VERY, VERY, VERY hard to do, and as far as I know less than five people have ever gotten it to work. If you're not a computer science major or don't know how to hack a sim card then please don't ask me how to do this, because I don't know. But it is possible, and that's what you have to do. Verizon uses GSM for SOME voice, you get lots of dropped calls but data works great. This is what would account for the crazy data speeds, but like I said voice sucks, it's really not worth the effort.

If you want more information...become a member at Demonoid.com

Last edited by JQuill; 01-20-2010 at 12:33 AM.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > iPhone > General iPhone Discussions