PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > iPhone > General iPhone Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 11:51 AM
Still a Geek
Pocket PC: GalaxyS Fascinate; Bold 9650 on the shelf incase!
Carrier: VZW/Sprint

eenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
IPhone 3G on TMobile?

Hey,
I've read that you can get this to work on TMo if you're unlocked and jail broke, but I need details please.

I have a coworker who bought a 3G on craigs list but prefers to use on her TMo account. I told her if it could be done we'd find it here. I'll be the Dr. And have never worked with iPhone so baby steps please.

BrennB
Old 07-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid
Re: IPhone 3G on TMobile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eenieMINI View Post
Hey,
I've read that you can get this to work on TMo if you're unlocked and jail broke, but I need details please.

I have a coworker who bought a 3G on craigs list but prefers to use on her TMo account. I told her if it could be done we'd find it here. I'll be the Dr. And have never worked with iPhone so baby steps please.

can you find out what OS version it is running?

3.1.2, 3.1.3, or 4.0 or 4.01?

no matter what it is running we can get her Jailbroken and Unlocked running on Tmobile very easily

but the method of Jailbreaking it is different for a different OS version.

You will need to have iTunes installed on the PC that is going to do the Jailbreaking.

Also, take a look at this thread and see if it is simple enough
Old 07-19-2010, 02:43 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: TP2 & HD2
Carrier: Sprint & T-Mobile

rhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuff

Like orangekid stated, it should be no problem getting the 3G working on T-Mobile. You'll just need to jailbreak and unlock it. Please be aware that the iPhone radio frequencies do not include the 1700 MHz band needed for third generation T-Mobile data speeds. In turn, she'll only be able to get 150-200 kbps download speeds max (2G speed).

Good things to know for the jailbreak, unlock, and T-Mobile switch include the iOS, bootloader, and baseband versions, as well as the IMEI numbers. You can find all but the bootloader version in the iPhone's Settings > General > About section. The baseband will be called Modem Firmware there. For the bootloader version, I use f0recast by iH8sn0w at http://ih8sn0w.com/index.php/welcome.snow .

Best to all,
R
Old 07-19-2010, 05:10 PM
Still a Geek
Threadstarter

eenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Ok thanks, I knew this would be the place to go. She's not worried about data speed so much as the phone working, text, and pic mail .

I'm off work today so I'll get the details tomorrow when I see her again.

OK I read the jailbreak thread and yes, I can follow. The seller said the phone was already unlocked, is ther a way to tell? Does that have to be done after jailbreak?

What steps come after these to get TMo working?

Last edited by eenieMINI; 07-19-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:51 PM

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhacy View Post
Like orangekid stated, it should be no problem getting the 3G working on T-Mobile. You'll just need to jailbreak and unlock it. Please be aware that the iPhone radio frequencies do not include the 1700 MHz band needed for third generation T-Mobile data speeds. In turn, she'll only be able to get 150-200 kbps download speeds max (2G speed).

Good things to know for the jailbreak, unlock, and T-Mobile switch include the iOS, bootloader, and baseband versions, as well as the IMEI numbers. You can find all but the bootloader version in the iPhone's Settings > General > About section. The baseband will be called Modem Firmware there. For the bootloader version, I use f0recast by iH8sn0w at http://ih8sn0w.com/index.php/welcome.snow .

Best to all,
R
the bootloader version is irrelevant in a 3G, it does not have the iBoot lock like 3GS. All you need is the firmware version. I am guessing it was on 3.1.2 or 3.1.3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eenieMINI View Post
Ok thanks, I knew this would be the place to go. She's not worried about data speed so much as the phone working, text, and pic mail .

I'm off work today so I'll get the details tomorrow when I see her again.

OK I read the jailbreak thread and yes, I can follow. The seller said the phone was already unlocked, is ther a way to tell? Does that have to be done after jailbreak?

What steps come after these to get TMo working?

you can tell if it is jailbroken because on of the apps will be "Cydia" you cannot get this app store unless you are jailbroken.

if you see this app, then it is probably unlocked. Just put a tmobile SIM in there. If you do not get service. make sure 3G is turned OFF in settings > General > Network.

If still no service, open up cydia, and use my jailbreak/unlock thread to download the correct unlocking app per the baseband. You find the Baseband version under General > Settings > About, and it will be called "modem firmware"

I am guessing it is either 4.11.07 or 5.12.01. Look at the unlockng thread to see which app to download, and it unlocks it very fast, then you will have tmobile service.

editL

2 more things. If she is not getting data even though she is getting phone service with tmobile then

1) make sure you enter the APN settings for data and MMS, they can be found in the stickied thread in this forum.

2) if data STILL does not work. You have to call/chat with tmobile and tell them you are using an iPhone (they don't care, they actually have better iPhone support than ATT) and tell them to please change your "data provisioning" for the iPhone. They will know what u mean and make the change, after about an hour the data will work, provided you have entered the APN settings correctly.

Last edited by orangekid; 07-19-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:52 PM
Still a Geek
Threadstarter

Awesome! I can proceed with confidence! I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:53 PM
Still a Geek
Threadstarter

Well, her husband decided to sell it when they go to Mexico this weekend... so scrap that.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:04 PM

lol, awesome.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:32 AM
Still a Geek
Threadstarter

I was excited to try it. LOL
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > iPhone > General iPhone Discussions