PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2011, 02:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro II
Carrier: Sprint

Magoo_215 is keeping up the good workMagoo_215 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Samsung Charge... Good, Ok, Or Bad Phone?

Just wanna know what people think about the newly released phone and is it worth getting if your on Verizon?
Old 06-04-2011, 09:23 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Charge
Carrier: verizon

dewwick is a n00b
Re: Samsung Charge... Good, Ok, Or Bad Phone?

I just got mine. Letstalk dot com just lowered their price to 199. Bestbuy was going to match their price when I told the manager but they made me wait half an hour so I left and got it overnight ordering online. The phone is cool. I upgraded from a touch pro 2. It's brand new, it's an Android, and it's got a 1Ghz processor. How could you go wrong. It's Verizon's 2nd 4G phone, didn't want to be a guinea pig and get the Thunderbolt, although I've read many reviews which say they are about evenly matched. Anyway who cares, I'm finally playing Angry Birds, so whatever! It's great to be able to watch youtube from right inside the browser! The keyboard is very sensitive to me. I'm used to using my fingernail to make precise screen touches, but fingernails are about useless on the Charge. I'm getting the hang of it though. I DO miss the physical keyboard AND the arrow keys, but so far I haven't been unable to do what I need to do. It's just a learning curve. Oh, and speech to text is amazing! On a cell phone, with no voice training?? Whoa! That's freaking awesome to me. But again, this is my first new phone in 2 years. Battery life on day 1 with LOTS of playing around was only 5 or 6 hours. Today I took it off charge at 9 am and played with it much less but still a lot, and it's down to 30% 12 hours later. It's so new there's not an extended battery for it yet, but I have one on pre-order and it will require a new battery door making it thicker. I laugh cause it will still be thinner than my first flip phone 14 years ago and THAT was the coolest freakin' thing EVER!!! Haha. Anyway, the Motorola Bionic is coming to Verizon (soon??) followed by who knows what else. So buy now and enjoy, or wait for something better with more features. It should only take a matter of months. 4G is new but will be here for a while. If they make a 1Ghz slider on 4G, I may upgrade again personally. Good luck!
Old 06-23-2011, 07:23 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Droid Charge
Carrier: Verizon

Major Problem is a n00b

The phone itself is great. With 4G it's awesome. What I hate is Verizon's bloatware and expecting you to subscribe to their inferior apps. You can ignore them and use what you want but you can't delete them. Both the desktop and mobile charging docks have a user intertface that's not changeable and contain apps that I'd like to replace.

I've been away from these forums for a year since I trashed my HTC Touch Pro and I've got some catching up to do. Hopefully somebody here can point me in the right direction to further customize the phone the way I want it.

I'm not sure if it's the android OS, the hardware or what but, they gave me a 32gig sd card with the phone and you can only store media on it. I was able to place some office files on it (with a usb connection) but the file management won't let me address them.

If you're planning to use it for heavy duty business apps you might want to wait for the newest MS Windows phones. The open-source ThinkFree Office program lets you open and edit MS files but I found it painful to work with on the Samsung Charge. Maybe I've got alot to learn (or un-learn).

My summary: Samsung has created a great piece of hardware. The Android OS has a lot of maturing to do. Maybe someday it'll be great but not today.

The love/hate relationship people have with Verizon may never change. Their network is fast and almost everywhere. They always want to rebrand core functions to sell subsciptions to their pitiful apps. You've heard the expression: "There's an App for that", well at Verizon "There's a fee for that". I just had a horrible thought, what if Verizon and M$ merged? I'm gonna have nightmares now.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:38 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

you should be able to load all files via usb cable connection...

As for office, if Thinkfree is not to your liking there are others..they are free for read only and you gotta pay for writing..

One popular one that you might be familiar with even in the winmo days is Documents To Go

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 06-24-2011, 09:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4G
Carrier: sprint

john80hotkey is becoming a great contributor

you should be able to add whatever files you want to your samsungs sd card viewing/working with them will just require certain programs. if you are just having trouble accessing them it may be a limitation of the file explorer included in the charges software try downloading a different one.. es explorer is what I use to manage my content
Old 06-28-2011, 08:30 AM
shinywatt

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Samsung Droid Charge is a 4G LTE phone matches up well against the first 4G phone. It has great features like rear facing 8megapixel camera and a front face 1.3megapixel camera for video chat. it is not dualcore mobile but it is not slow compare to other dualcore cells.

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion