PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro > CDMA TP Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2009, 04:29 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Epic
Carrier: Sprint

obamaftw08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularobamaftw08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularobamaftw08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularobamaftw08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [JUL 12] *11 Radios Available* Updated Touch Pro CDMA Radio Archive Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACE View Post
I swear, sometimes the search function of these forums is so useless.

I've wasted way too much time looking for that guide I mentioned I had seen, I should have just taken the time to write my own
But now its almost 2:30 am here, and I was tired before I got started...

Here is one pertinent post I found however, which you can probably get by with until I can write a more comprehensive guide.
Something very important to understand: the Rx signals are measured in decibel drop where the closer to zero, the better. -100dbm is bad!
Typically, with EVDO, you want to have less than -80dbm for decent throughput, with top end being reached somewhere below -70dbm and anything below that giving lower latency, and higher stability. In real world usage, -50dbm is about good as you are ever going to get, and in most cases, not bloody likely, lol. Although, I have actually been able to achieve -46 to -47 by standing at about a 30° angle from a tower, about 60 yrds away (because of the physical characteristics of typical radio towers, you will actually get *lower* signal strength directly underneath (or above, lol) due to the conical umbrella they broadcast, I got around -65-67 standing at the base of this particular tower, for example)
Also remember, even if you were to get say, -55dbm, which is pretty much incredible signal strength, (might as well plug your phone directly into the tower, ) your throughput can be limited by many other factors, such as the backhaul of the tower, and network load. So, while your phone might be able to communicate with the *tower* at 3.1mbit your network might not be able to provide that. Of course, if it doesn't, there is nothing really wrong with complaining to your provider about it, to give them a little prod to induce them to improve their infrastructure
Now that is something I can work with. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:33 AM
Threadstarter
Pocket PC: HTC Rhodium 400

t0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributionst0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributionst0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributionst0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributionst0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributionst0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributionst0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributionst0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributionst0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributionst0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributionst0mmyr should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to t0mmyr

i know online speedtests cant be too accurate but they give a rough estimate how well something is performing at a given time, i put a disclaimer in my post mentioning that in no way were these scientific tests....but u can clearly see that the 2 new radios are far faster than the stock rom

Old 07-13-2009, 05:38 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTCTP

MACE is keeping up the good workMACE is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by obamaftw08 View Post
You know, I can sum up everything you just said without needing a disclaimer about rudeness and/or being highly demeaning, in a much more refined form.

Hello fellow radio testers. I'm gonna try and put up a guide here soon to let you know about some other testing scenarios/guidelines in which I think would be helpful for everyone here to figure out what works best for each person individually. In the meantime let me find a link that will give everyone an idea of what I'm talking about.

See? Easy peesie. No thanks needed.
Unfortunately, that does not address the major concerns that were my reason for posting.

I wanted to cull the the spread of misinformation before it got out of hand, as it almost always does when discussing this topic.

I wanted to list the most common sources of inaccuracy, and explain *why* they were inaccurate, so that people reading would stop relying on them.

I also wanted to provide a non technical way that ppl could test the radios, without needing a degree in network engineering, and wireless physics, that would still provide a *VERY* meaningful, and helpful contribution to the community as a whole, as well as for themselves.

That being said, I re-read my post, and while I certainly did not intend to sound demeaning, and don't really think I was tbh, there are phrases I could have worded a bit more softly, and would have changed some of the wording in the second paragraph in particular.
For that, I apologize.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_maniac View Post
if you had to answer the same type of questions i think you would be a little testy also
It was not questions I was worried about so much, as having many ppl being mislead by inaccurate and in many cases, nearly meaningless information. I don't mind answering questions, and actually like to help ppl if I can, as long as they actually put in a bit of effort and don't just expect to have their hand held.
But thanks for the support
Quote:
Originally Posted by havox22 View Post
i want a guide & what radio do u use???
I am currently testing the new Altell one, but I dont have enough info yet to make any kind of determination, just *barely* flashed it.

Last edited by MACE; 07-13-2009 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Decided Tommy's answer was long enough that he deserved his own post, as well as for clarity
Old 07-13-2009, 06:47 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0mmyr View Post
i know online speedtests cant be too accurate but they give a rough estimate how well something is performing at a given time, i put a disclaimer in my post mentioning that in no way were these scientific tests....but u can clearly see that the 2 new radios are far faster than the stock rom
I was not directing my comments at anyone in particular at all, you see ppl quoting speedtests as *proof* of the superiority of a certain radio, rom, or device, or whatever, all over the place. Sorry if it seemed like I was picking on you, this was not the case at all. TBH, at least you were trying something that was a "real world" test, sort of

As far as the meaningfulness of your particular tests, even though they were done as close to back to back as you could (considering you had to flash in between each) I'm sorry to have say this, but, unfortunately, due to the currently very low capacity of most wireless networks backhaul, as well as a host of other contributing factors, even back to back tests can vary by rather significant amounts, even if you have an *excellent* signal, and everything on your end is working perfectly.
For example, there have been a number of times where I have seen my bandwidth go from 2.5-3Mbps to 1mbps, or even less than 1, and then back to 2mbps or so in a matter of 10 minutes or less. And it is fairly normal for your average bandwidth to vary by at least .1 to .3mbps especially if you are in a metropolitan area.

On perhaps a more helpful note, I did notice your latency was *extremely* high. You should check to make sure it is nothing on your end, (the most common cause of this is spyware) and if not, call your provider, and tell them about it. If it is on their end, they *definitely* need to fix it, 300+ ms on EVDO is pretty bad, and 600+ is pretty much intolerable, and almost guaranteed, if your latency is that high, whatever problem is causing it is most likely limiting your bandwidth significantly as well. I would not be surprised to see up to even a 1mbps increase, if you get that cleared up, unless it is just fuxxed network settings on your machine.

I hope that this helps.

[Edit]
I just noticed that in your sig, that you had over 500 ms latency in one of your Road Runner tests. If this was done any time reasonably recently, it *strongly* suggests a problem on your end, so I would recommend trying a hardcore malware test first, if you come to the conclusion that is not likely, then check your network settings for a ridiculously huge mtu size, this is something that some tweak programs do for a slight boost in download speed, at a large cost in latency, but I have never seen it account for more than maybe 100ms lag at the most tbh, the only thing that I have seen nuke a connection that badly (from 20-30ms to over 500) is pretty much spyware. Your low upload speeds are also indicative of this.

Sorry if this is the case, but hopefully it at least helps you figure it out.

Last edited by MACE; 07-13-2009 at 07:16 AM.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:49 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC ARRIVE
Carrier: sprint

havox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

ok i did the ##33284# so which is more important 1x or hdr & what is hdr?

Dank-Ass Robba

Old 07-13-2009, 10:13 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Epic Touch 4G
Carrier: Spint

Maxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

One of the things I notice may be a good test is how battery life is with a particular radio.
Only problem with that is that the rom you are using has a bigger impact on battery, so you should not change rom OS when testing.

That and "dead zones" is prob a good test.
I'll never 4get the funny post in an old thread where the dudes testing location was on his toilet seat.
If it past that test, then it was good.

Last edited by Maxx134; 07-13-2009 at 10:17 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-13-2009, 10:22 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC ARRIVE
Carrier: sprint

havox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

figured out my battery problem...im getting high 90's dbm with most radios 1x & 85-90 hdr in my room, but in my living room im getting 76
Old 07-13-2009, 10:29 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: alltel/vzw

Ron M is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to Ron M

Quote:
Originally Posted by strra View Post
as far as i understood, the ROM had nothing to do with signal strength... i could be wrong tho...
i to have flashed to mr6 and my signal strength is very poor....also im on 1X all the time and RA is completly gone .......i flashed to newest vzw radio not much improvement at all and still no RA any suggestions
Old 07-13-2009, 10:52 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4g
Carrier: SPRINT

wchamblee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwchamblee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwchamblee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwchamblee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwchamblee is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

1.11.00F R- Works well in metro atlanta.

Walter
This post has been thanked 3 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro > CDMA TP Development