PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro > CDMA TP Development
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you feel about this idea?
Good idea 22 26.51%
Could work, let's give it a shot 44 53.01%
Bad idea/Won't work/Don't bother 17 20.48%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices
Carrier: Sprint

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie
Re: Review/Rating Thread Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautica2450 View Post
totally agree Coz... sheesh I dont even COOK roms and I've got the biggest ego on the site... check my sig
Check with Mr. Indie and maybe he can add you to the list of cookers purely based on the size of your ego!

late,
Coz
Old 02-06-2009, 02:17 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 3D

scrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymike View Post
Egos. Well put...

To give you guys a general idea of my mindframe when hearing about my rom. Many people have asked me "Hey Mike, do you track your downloads?"

The answer is simple... no.

I don't want to know how many people downloaded my rom, I don't want to know how many people are using my rom.

It all comes down to egos. I spend a considerable amount of time tweaking my rom to "perfection"

I'd like to think EVERYONE is using it
--

To be honest with you. When I see the polls get posted of which ROM do you use, and I see alotta roms with only 1 Vote while other roms are already at 15-20 votes in the first 10 minutes... It shatters my heart as well.

This is the exact reason why in a months time there are only 2-3 chefs left. Because it's all about ego's in the end..

The end....

/end rant
IU agree and will nto even try to argue the posistion.. except about your ROM being on every phone... Everyone knows its MY ROM that should be on all phones ;c)

In the end if this is pulled off objectively and lets everyone submit there favorites and stays current I will support this. But I think you will find fanboys come in and start arguing, chefs like me that get left out, etc.

Your asking for a huge project but you have my support.... if you do it the way I want ;c) hehehehe.

I do think you should eliminate any poll that lets you pick a favorite ROM, instead show us how sincere you are and track each response from the users.

-Scott

Donations always accepted but never expected!
Old 02-06-2009, 02:18 PM
VIP Member

scrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indie View Post
Were we waiting on merdin's approval for the sticky LOL

I was thinking of starting off with a rough draft build of the post and then share that with you cooks for insight first before posting it onto the forums, i don't want to do anything that offends any of the cooks. I'm sure none of you cooks would mind such a thread exsist, but everyone is different, so it's always good to check with this like this first.

Even when it does get posted, it would probably just be an beta build of the post. I know it sounds funny giving a post project build phases, but as funny as it sounds, I think it would help some users better understand that the thread is an ongoing work in progress, similar to your roms and their version numbers. My vision is to make the OP colorful/color coordinated, much like the OP of your rom pages. If possible, I would like to include the pictures from your rom threads, or a different one if you wish to provide it.

I also have some other loose ideas, such as a monthly interview of one of the cooks. I guess it wouldn't be strictly about rating and comparing the roms, but kinda be like a cook/rom newsletter type of thread, highly driven by the community. I know this is all probably far-fetched, but if I can gain enough support, it could turn into something great for this community.
This sounds like a useful idea. IM not going to deny it. What I woudl do is eliminate any user "feedback" about performance. Do a spreadsheet with just "out of the download" features. I would try hard to stay away from any objecvtive measurement. Doing so will ensure there is no bias.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Threadstarter

Indie is becoming a PPCGeeks regularIndie is becoming a PPCGeeks regularIndie is becoming a PPCGeeks regularIndie is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I never intended there to be a poll, and your suggestions support me in that have furthered encouraged me to not make one. I feel the rating system I have thought up, will provide a fair, balanced, and mostly postive feed to all of the cooks/rom envolved. I will have more information on how this will work as well for you cooks soon also, and will be open to suggestions and changes.

Edit, just saw Scott's post. i agree that a features breakdown would be a great help, I will add that to the to do list. A little info on my rating system is that again, people would only be allowed to rate one rom, which will most likely be their favorite, so a majority of the feedback will be positive. It wouldn't simply be a overall rating of the rom, but broken down rating of different categories, such as speed, features, presentation, etc etc of the rom. This may be axed altogether, but I think it would create a fair assesment of the roms. For instance, one may have a avg of 9 for speed, and another of 7, but the 7 may have more features included, so it would get a 9 for that, while the faster one may get a 7. There are comparisons obviously involved, but I feel that it is a positive and fair comparison. Again, I will have more info for the cooks throughout the weekend. If you have feedback on what I just shared, feel free to reply or PM me.

Last edited by Indie; 02-06-2009 at 02:45 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:20 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozboogie View Post
I must admit this is one of the more tamer threads discussing competing roms. I'll sticky this for a while until the OP has his other post together, and y'all keep posting credible and meaningful material.

Let's not let this one get bogged down with that other stuff.

late,
Coz
What "stuff" might you be reffering to? ahahahaha... No no no, dont answer.

I agree. Lets get this puppy rolling. I got a new release coming out this weekend as well....... Its fat!
Old 02-06-2009, 02:21 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indie View Post
I never intended there to be a poll, and your suggestions support me in that have furthered encouraged me to not make one. I feel the rating system I have thought up, will provide a fair, balanced, and mostly postive feed to all of the cooks/rom envolved. I will have more information on how this will work as well for you cooks soon also, and will be open to suggestions and changes.
Cool cool! Lets do it.

You got my support!
Old 02-06-2009, 02:46 PM
The Trend Setter
Pocket PC: Touch Pro ....
Carrier: Me

jakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation level

IF YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT UNDERSTANDING THE JOURNEY THEN YOU PROBABLY SHOULDN'T BE HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

XDA-Devs is about developers & hackers helping each other and working together to get the most out of our devices by understanding them better than most.

XDA-Devs is not about helping everyone who wants a "Kewl bit of kit" make their phone better than the guy next to him.

I hate to be the nay sayer but what is the benefit from this .... what do new comers gain .... what do a person who is wanting to learn how to make a rom getting from this ..... The quote from above came from XDA when I saw it ... it changed my thinking about cooking and sharing ... that is why I stoped "protecting" my roms (that and you can still dump them anyway lol) but honestly I think that this is just another comparison thread just more candy coated .....to keep this real ..... most of the users here go by faith in a certain "cook" and don't really try most roms longer then a week if that . So my point is this is what kinda makes most people kinda shy away from here not because they can't handle the comparison but because of the nature of what is going on .... and the lack of gaining knowledge .... and to throw this out there but the so-called "fanboys" is what creates the egos of most "chefs" so without these "fanboys" where would your "chef" be .... making my point that this "idea" would be biased ..... and somewhat political .... so in spirit maybe PPCGeeks should keep the idea of frowning of threads like these
Old 02-06-2009, 03:09 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

Well let's see what Mr. Indie comes up with over the weekend. Perhaps it'll be the Holy Grail..perhaps a complete dud. But let's just hold off until we see the product.

late,
Coz
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:22 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozboogie View Post
Well let's see what Mr. Indie comes up with over the weekend. Perhaps it'll be the Holy Grail..perhaps a complete dud. But let's just hold off until we see the product.

late,
Coz
+1 Agreed. Lets not let it fail until it fails. Lets try to not let it fail.

I think the OP's attempt at reaching out to the Chef's before posting the thread was a great measure of the attitude and possible effort that will be put forth. I think if done in a non political / non biased way this would be a great thread. If he comes out with "Ok here is my speed comparison" of these ROM's... Yeah, its going to fail.

Lets just see what happanes. Coz is already involved so if it gets out of hand he will keep us in line or close the thread.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Threadstarter

Indie is becoming a PPCGeeks regularIndie is becoming a PPCGeeks regularIndie is becoming a PPCGeeks regularIndie is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrosler View Post
+1 Agreed. Lets not let it fail until it fails. Lets try to not let it fail.

I think the OP's attempt at reaching out to the Chef's before posting the thread was a great measure of the attitude and possible effort that will be put forth. I think if done in a non political / non biased way this would be a great thread. If he comes out with "Ok here is my speed comparison" of these ROM's... Yeah, its going to fail.

Lets just see what happanes. Coz is already involved so if it gets out of hand he will keep us in line or close the thread.
I'm taking all things said here into consideration, as of right now, this thread will be more informational than it will opinionated. With hopefully some extras thrown in, such as the interview on the month and review of the month. Again, which would be messaged and then approved by me. Similar to Squishy's reviews, which seem to have had mostly a positive reaction. Perhaps alternating which rom is reviewed to be fair, such as having that months review be of that months interviewed chef's rom.

Last edited by Indie; 02-06-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro > CDMA TP Development