PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2009, 07:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

stravy is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [061409] grooveROM 5 - CE OS 5.2.21812 (Build 21812.5.0.5) -- [Diamond ROM & Kitc

Quote:
Originally Posted by indagroove View Post
For those of you who have used both dialers on my ROM, which do you prefer -- HTC stock or Tachi? I'm still not sold on Tachi personally.

Let's see a show of hands.
I just flashed to your 6-14 ROM last night. The tachi dialer looks nice and I have not noticed any problems yet. My vote would be for stability before aesthetics and if some are having issues with the tachi dialer then lets go back.

Speaking of aesthetics...is it easier to change the background on the tachi dialer than the stock htc dialer? I changed the background on the htc dialer, though it was not very hard to do, it did take about an hour to do.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:52 PM
AWOL
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro 2 and Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

indagroove is keeping up the good workindagroove is keeping up the good work
Re: [061409] grooveROM 5 - CE OS 5.2.21812 (Build 21812.5.0.5) -- [Diamond ROM & Kitc

Quote:
Originally Posted by stravy View Post
I just flashed to your 6-14 ROM last night. The tachi dialer looks nice and I have not noticed any problems yet. My vote would be for stability before aesthetics and if some are having issues with the tachi dialer then lets go back.

Speaking of aesthetics...is it easier to change the background on the tachi dialer than the stock htc dialer? I changed the background on the htc dialer, though it was not very hard to do, it did take about an hour to do.
It's harder. There's a bunch of images stuck in the phcanimages.dll which need to be extracted, edited, and replaced. Then it won't sign properly, so you can't cab install for testing. You have to build/flash/test>>extract images from dll/edit/import back to dll>build flash>>etc until you get it right. I have one image that is about 2 pixels off, but it's barely noticable, so I didn't fix it right away. Also another that needs a slight color tweak..

My issues with the Tachi Dialer are:

-smaller buttons
-no ## dialing codes
-possible BT notification on today screen issue (needs testing -- may not be Tachi related)
-weird occasional signal cut out for a few seconds when idle
-harder to skin
-curtain is kinda annoying to me

Last edited by indagroove; 06-15-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Diamond

SteveBoat is just getting started

Quote:
For those of you who have used both dialers on my ROM, which do you prefer -- HTC stock or Tachi? I'm still not sold on Tachi personally.

Let's see a show of hands.
For me ... I really like the looks of Tachi and it seems to work when locked.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
It's harder. There's a bunch of images stuck in the phcanimages.dll which need to be extracted, edited, and replaced. Then it won't sign properly, so you can't cab install for testing. You have to build/flash/test>>extract images from dll/edit/import back to dll>build flash>>etc until you get it right. I have one image that is about 2 pixels off, but it's barely noticable, so I didn't fix it right away. Also another that needs a slight color tweak..
that sounds like a pain in the arse...*pours you a drink*...i wouldnt change it either for all of that trouble.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:

-smaller buttons
-no ## dialing codes
-possible BT notification on today screen issue (needs testing -- may not be Tachi related)
-harder to skin
ok...i was wondering about the signal issue...i wouldnt have thought it was dialer related...just thought it was a fluke thing where i was in the building...

as for the curtain...you talking about when scrolling through contacts it cuts off the bottom of the contact?
Old 06-15-2009, 08:03 PM
AWOL
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stravy View Post
ok...i was wondering about the signal issue...i wouldnt have thought it was dialer related...just thought it was a fluke thing where i was in the building...

as for the curtain...you talking about when scrolling through contacts it cuts off the bottom of the contact?
I'm 99% sure it's Tachi related.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:05 PM
AWOL
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBoat View Post
For me ... I really like the looks of Tachi and it seems to work when locked.
Just to be clear, we're talking about this dialer (Tachi):

vs. this dialer (Diamond/TP):

You guys really like to look of Tachi better? Just wondering, but they seem to have the same "eye-candy" status to me..
Old 06-15-2009, 08:05 PM
The Source of Power
Pocket PC: EVO4G & EPIC4g

Trident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Skype™ to Trident

Quote:

-smaller buttons
-no ## dialing codes
-harder to skin
For all those reasons, I'd say it's not ready for prime time. Your modified dialer is better.
I've also noticed that the S2A doesn't play as well with it. It seems to have some hesitation when sliding.

As far as eye-candy goes... I like the additional buttons on the bottom, but not enough to choose that look over stability.

Last edited by Trident; 06-15-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

vote- HTC Dialer
Old 06-15-2009, 08:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

hey groove - this may already have been discussed before somewhere but i could not find an answer...i was wondering...is there any way to map "close program" x-button in the top right hand corner to the "end call" key? i just have always hated hitting that darned "x" button to close everything out.

also...regarding your latest release...the "send key(hold)" was mapped to "rotate screen" rather than "voice command" like in previous builds...no biggie just thought i would mention it.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development