PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2009, 01:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Pro
Carrier: Telus

gmarcoux is keeping up the good workgmarcoux is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: List Best Roms?

I will give you an actual opinion which is what you asked for. I've tried Calcu's OMJ's JUICY (no longer active) as well as mighty ROM. I used to prefer Juicy's roms but once they were no longer available I immediately switched to Mighty because his roms contained all the extra add-ons I enjoyed (especially the facebook up loader) I've since discovered groove's rom build 9 which i find to be faster and smoother but it's main drawback for me was the missing facebook up loader. Fortunately someone figured out how to get it on there and now I am very happy with groove rom as it has the speed and smoothness I want and the added features I need.

And for the rest of you guys that failed to simply give their recommendation:

I know that for those of you who are regulars on these threads, it gets tiring answering the same questions over and over again, but this individual was asking for an opinion which you were free to give or not give. Asking him/her to try them all or cook their own is not a helpful suggestion in the least. The reason this person is asking is likely because both those options are not viable. If you asked someone "Hey what movie do you recommend?" and they answered "Watch them all!" or "Make your own!" I doubt you'd find that helpful. I'll bet you'd find it downright rude.

Now a suggestion. If you feel the question to be a waste of your time, then by all means don't respond. I've seen threads opened that have never gone past the original question. They don't las long and are quickly forgotten.

No one is asking you to waste your time when they are asking for your opinion, don't waste theirs by filling their thread with answers that are not useful
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

cado33055 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarcoux View Post
I will give you an actual opinion which is what you asked for. I've tried Calcu's OMJ's JUICY (no longer active) as well as mighty ROM. I used to prefer Juicy's roms but once they were no longer available I immediately switched to Mighty because his roms contained all the extra add-ons I enjoyed (especially the facebook up loader) I've since discovered groove's rom build 9 which i find to be faster and smoother but it's main drawback for me was the missing facebook up loader. Fortunately someone figured out how to get it on there and now I am very happy with groove rom as it has the speed and smoothness I want and the added features I need.

I know that for those of you who are regulars on these threads, it gets tiring answering the same questions over and over again, but this individual was asking for an opinion which you were free to give or not give. Asking him/her to try them all or cook their own is not a helpful suggestion in the least. The reason this person is asking is likely because both those options are not viable. If you asked someone "Hey what movie do you recommend?" and they answered "Watch them all!" or "Make your own!" I doubt you'd find that helpful. I'll bet you'd find it downright rude.

Now a suggestion. If you feel the question to be a waste of your time, then by all means don't respond. I've seen threads opened that have never gone past the original question. They don't las long and are quickly forgotten.

No one is asking you to waste your time when they are asking for your opinion, don't waste theirs by filling their thread with answers that are not useful

Good insight
Old 02-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Livin' Dangerously
Pocket PC: Evo!/TOUCHPRO2/ ALSO TOUCH PRO
Carrier: PPCGEEKS SPRINT JUST HELPS ME CALL PEOPLE.

SBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributionsSBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributionsSBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributionsSBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributionsSBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributionsSBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributionsSBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributionsSBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributionsSBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributionsSBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributionsSBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via MSN to SBR_L3GION Send a message via Yahoo to SBR_L3GION

Quote:

+1 for the talk on posting. I do not have a Diamond therefore I cant participate but I agree with what you said about replying.

If I have helped you out or you enjoy my work please feel free to donate.

Helpful ROM cooking Info

How To: Registry edit to .cab
Old 02-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Quote:

I agree that sometimes these threads get a little contentious but I agree with Tobey. Everytime a list is compiled, it's outdated and serves little purpose. Usually what ends up happening is someone says one rom is better than another and an argument ensues. Some people flash incorrectly and have minor issues with a rom that are easily fixed or would not be there for others. Being that we all customize, back up, install differently, the best recommendation is to flash multiple roms and see which one is a fit. Your movie analogy is not very credible. A movie is unchanged and is a final release, each rom, although similiar, is vastly different and changes day to day so there is no way to analyze it's performance against other roms. Plus each movie is not only a final release but they are completely different where as all of our roms are all very similiar with added software, ui, etc. I guess we can make this type of comparison if we compared the blackberry storm to the diamond. So I think the advice should be to try different roms and make an informed decision based on your personal experience and criteria.

Last edited by Riley; 02-08-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:32 PM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

Flash and try them. You can flash a new rom and have it all setup in around 10 minutes. I actually plan on trying all the more recent roms on my next day off. And will spend probably only 3-4 hours doing so...

Old 02-08-2009, 01:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Pro

gmarcoux is keeping up the good workgmarcoux is keeping up the good work

The movie analogy was an exaggeration and very simplified (I doubt anyone would answer the question that way for the exact reasons you mentioned). All I'm saying is that if someone is asking for an opinion, give him an opinion and not advise. At the very least shrink it down to a few options. We all know that there are a select few roms that rise above the rest in these threads and that there are certain ones that may be less likely to please. You will always be right when you say that it is a matter of preference, but that is exactly what was being asked of you.... your preference. If everyone even simply stated their preference then a new flasher (sounds like a pervert) could very easily distinguish the more popular roms (i.e. if 100 people responded ans 30% used Juicy 20% used Calcu's, 15% used OMJ, 15% used Mighty 10% used Jugs, 9% used groove and 1% used other you've already dwindled it down to at least 6 and the percentage might even recommend the order by which to start flashing)

I guess my point is you're point is logical but let's assume the person asking the question understood the idea of preference and variables and still just wanted an opinion, let's give him that or nothing at all
Old 02-08-2009, 02:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

cado33055 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyd5 View Post
I agree that sometimes these threads get a little contentious but I agree with Tobey. Everytime a list is compiled, it's outdated and serves little purpose. Usually what ends up happening is someone says one rom is better than another and an argument ensues. Some people flash incorrectly and have minor issues with a rom that are easily fixed or would not be there for others. Being that we all customize, back up, install differently, the best recommendation is to flash multiple roms and see which one is a fit. Your movie analogy is not very credible. A movie is unchanged and is a final release, each rom, although similiar, is vastly different and changes day to day so there is no way to analyze it's performance against other roms. Plus each movie is not only a final release but they are completely different where as all of our roms are all very similiar with added software, ui, etc. I guess we can make this type of comparison if we compared the blackberry storm to the diamond. So I think the advice should be to try different roms and make an informed decision based on your personal experience and criteria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstoyguy View Post
Flash and try them. You can flash a new rom and have it all setup in around 10 minutes. I actually plan on trying all the more recent roms on my next day off. And will spend probably only 3-4 hours doing so...
Quote:
The movie analogy was an exaggeration and very simplified (I doubt anyone would answer the question that way for the exact reasons you mentioned). All I'm saying is that if someone is asking for an opinion, give him an opinion and not advise. At the very least shrink it down to a few options. We all know that there are a select few roms that rise above the rest in these threads and that there are certain ones that may be less likely to please. You will always be right when you say that it is a matter of preference, but that is exactly what was being asked of you.... your preference. If everyone even simply stated their preference then a new flasher (sounds like a pervert) could very easily distinguish the more popular roms (i.e. if 100 people responded ans 30% used Juicy 20% used Calcu's, 15% used OMJ, 15% used Mighty 10% used Jugs, 9% used groove and 1% used other you've already dwindled it down to at least 6 and the percentage might even recommend the order by which to start flashing)

I guess my point is you're point is logical but let's assume the person asking the question understood the idea of preference and variables and still just wanted an opinion, let's give him that or nothing at all
Im going to simplify all this that everyone is saying because there is no "right" answer. Currently there are a plethora of roms avialable. I personally prefer mighty's and have always preferd his rom but that is only because his rom meets my need for a winmo ppc and everyone elses may be different. Your best bet is to try each rom and pick the one that best suits you. If you ask questions like that on this forum you will never get a straightfoward answer seeing how there isnt one. Today mighty might have the best rom but tommorrow india may come out with one that trumps his (based on each users opinion) or vise versa. My recommendation seek and ye shall find
Old 02-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Kitchen Builder
Pocket PC: HTC Touch + Touch Diamond

tobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the community

I take popularity based on view count. Use that one, if you don't like it.. move down to the next one. There's usually a reason one is most popular.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:12 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Quote:

Ok, I understand and respect your point. however, if established chefs are in this thread recommending to try multiple roms, why wouldn't that be good advice? You last sentence to me is ridiculous. give him your opinion or nothing..... the opinion is to try other roms. that's it. I don't think anyone should thrash him though for asking the question.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:35 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC SuperSonic

Glossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyd5 View Post
Ok, I understand and respect your point. however, if established chefs are in this thread recommending to try multiple roms, why wouldn't that be good advice? You last sentence to me is ridiculous. give him your opinion or nothing..... the opinion is to try other roms. that's it. I don't think anyone should thrash him though for asking the question.
I totally concur, Riley.

As has been said many times before, "best" is such a subejctive term, that without defining parameters, it's an impossible question to answer. The best suggestion would be to begin trying them, and see what suits you, but that reasonable response seemed only to draw a stern lecture in this thread.

I think the real solution here is for the user to try the "Search" function of the forum and the keywords "best ROM" and see what is returned. That's where knowledge begins.

Audiovox Thera-Samsung i700-Verizon PPC 6600-Sprint 6700-Sprint Mogul-Sprint Touch-HTC Touch Diamond-HTC Hero-HTC SuperSonic (EVO)
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development