PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2009, 11:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: _
Carrier: _

OrBy is keeping up the good workOrBy is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: no2chem "Fast Charge" Battery.dll

It's a well known and published fact that you cant get something for nothing. I never said it will damage them (too subjective) but it will accelerate cell wear and as others have posted does not lead to a complete charge. Even simply storing these cells in above average temps will shorten their lives witch is why you are never suppose to leave them in the sun or a hot car. Now I know no OEM's like to admit it but these cells wear out on their own even if they have never been used after about 5 years or so...

I just decided to do some testing that shows a bit different behavior that I assumed I would see.

Fast charge enabled on USB to PC - 850ma charge rate.
Fast charge disabled on USB to PC - 450ma charge rate.
Fast charge enabled on wall adapter - 450ma charge rate.
Fast charge disabled on wall adapter - 450ma charge rate.

I checked the wall adapter I am using and it states it can output 850ma so I think no2chem's DLL only affects PC connections and does indeed exceed OEM suggested charge rates.

In the end no one can tell you what works best for yourself but it's better to at least have an idea of how these charges can affect things. Who knows how much it will affect things anyway - it could only shave a few weeks or a month off the cell's life.

Read over http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

"A moderate charge and discharge puts less stress on the battery, resulting in a longer cycle life."
"High charge levels and elevated temperatures hasten permanent capacity loss."
Old 06-24-2009, 04:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

coolguy949 is becoming a great contributor

My TP wall charger is 1000ma and in the battery control panel it shows that it's taking in anywhere from 875 - 950. I get the same results with USB now that I have the driver.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:01 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 3D
Carrier: Sprint

mwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrBy View Post
It's a well known and published fact that you cant get something for nothing. I never said it will damage them (too subjective) but it will accelerate cell wear and as others have posted does not lead to a complete charge. Even simply storing these cells in above average temps will shorten their lives witch is why you are never suppose to leave them in the sun or a hot car. Now I know no OEM's like to admit it but these cells wear out on their own even if they have never been used after about 5 years or so...

I just decided to do some testing that shows a bit different behavior that I assumed I would see.

Fast charge enabled on USB to PC - 850ma charge rate.
Fast charge disabled on USB to PC - 450ma charge rate.
Fast charge enabled on wall adapter - 450ma charge rate.
Fast charge disabled on wall adapter - 450ma charge rate.

I checked the wall adapter I am using and it states it can output 850ma so I think no2chem's DLL only affects PC connections and does indeed exceed OEM suggested charge rates.

In the end no one can tell you what works best for yourself but it's better to at least have an idea of how these charges can affect things. Who knows how much it will affect things anyway - it could only shave a few weeks or a month off the cell's life.

Read over http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

"A moderate charge and discharge puts less stress on the battery, resulting in a longer cycle life."
"High charge levels and elevated temperatures hasten permanent capacity loss."
What was the charge on your battery (ie how full) when on the wall adapter? You should be getting around 850 ma unless nearing a full charge. All the fastcharge does is charge at the exact same rate through usb as the wall adapter. It is not exceeding any specifications of the CDMA HTC battery or charger. There is no change at all if you only charge through a wall adapter and can only negatively affect the usb port if you charge on one that cannot support the 850 ma.

Last edited by mwalt2; 06-24-2009 at 09:44 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development