PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2008, 12:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

nmoreman is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Comparison between roms?

I agree with the beginning question - I am new, want to learn, read extensively, but many of the questions, and therefore answers, are too deep for my today's level of understanding.
This is the first time I have played with Windows, I am very good on computers, but applying these apps, cabs, have crashed my phone, makes me nervous.
Therefore asking experienced users for easy to understand recommendations is not a bad thing, nor a huge time consuming thing, some of us just don't understand the detailed answers that you give. That is great you take the time, but we just don't get it yet.

Remember, you were at my level at one time!!!
Old 12-12-2008, 12:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

tprime76 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to tprime76

In truth, the biggest knowledge jump you will get is when you unlock your phone and then flash it to a new version. You will be amazed at how quickly so many of the things that you don't undertand all of a sudden make sense. Again, it comes down to whether or not you want to enter into an area where your phone is no longer supportable by your carrier.

I do remember when I was new to this (with my XV6700) and I knew that I just had to make the jump to start "getting it". My only suggestion is to find a copy of the stock ROM for your carrier's flavor of your phone. If you don't like what the ROM does to it, flash back.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:09 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: iPhone 4G
Carrier: Telus

SmknJoe knows their stuffSmknJoe knows their stuffSmknJoe knows their stuffSmknJoe knows their stuffSmknJoe knows their stuffSmknJoe knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tprime76 View Post
In truth, the biggest knowledge jump you will get is when you unlock your phone and then flash it to a new version. You will be amazed at how quickly so many of the things that you don't undertand all of a sudden make sense. Again, it comes down to whether or not you want to enter into an area where your phone is no longer supportable by your carrier.

I do remember when I was new to this (with my XV6700) and I knew that I just had to make the jump to start "getting it". My only suggestion is to find a copy of the stock ROM for your carrier's flavor of your phone. If you don't like what the ROM does to it, flash back.
Bang ON.

this is my first PPC that i've ever customized. I was extremely intimidated with my first few. BUT, like you said. Taking the plunge almost forces you to understand what once seemed like it was written in german.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: MTS

jbarns is becoming a great contributor

noob here.

Is it possible to "back up" the stock ROM? I'm using MTS as a provider and am thinking about jumping in. The one thing holding me back is that it seems like no one has an MTS stock rom. Makes me nervous if there is warranty needed or something.

MTS (Manitoba Telecom Service) or something like that.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:50 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: iPhone 4G
Carrier: Telus

SmknJoe knows their stuffSmknJoe knows their stuffSmknJoe knows their stuffSmknJoe knows their stuffSmknJoe knows their stuffSmknJoe knows their stuff

Nope, no way to back it up.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:41 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

dizzywizzy is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcu View Post
I do think a comparison chart of some sort of each ROM is not a bad idea, like SYS, available memory & RAM, extra apps installed or removed, manila changes, etc but just sticking with the specs, not peoples opinions, as those belong in the ROM threads. I'll be happy to provide info if someone wants to start making one
THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!=D>
please please please
Old 12-12-2008, 07:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: MTS

jbarns is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzywizzy View Post
THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!=D>
please please please
agreed, I think I'll go Juicy just because it seems to be the most popular but that's just based on popularity. I don't know enough about the phone yet to see if I like the ROM within minutes.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:07 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Sensation 4g
Carrier: American

liquidy is a n00b

So can we do the comparision chart thing ?
Old 03-01-2009, 07:58 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidy View Post
So can we do the comparision chart thing ?
I can make up a quick spreadsheet, list out the roms and request via Pm info from our chefs? It's up to them if they are comfortable with this.

Last edited by Riley; 03-01-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

here is a partial list being updated.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Rom list.zip (4.0 KB, 26 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by Riley; 03-02-2009 at 04:51 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development