PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2008, 10:33 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

NewYorkLaw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNewYorkLaw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNewYorkLaw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNewYorkLaw is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Comparison between roms?

A similar thread to this was closed, but I hope this thread will remain open long enough to really get some opinions.

PLEASE NOTE -- I AM NOT ASKING WHICH ROM IS BEST. I know each cook's roms are different and that their features list is important to look at. Problem is when I read through the change logs/feature list, not all of that stuff makes sense to me. And, when I try and compare, I don't usually see the differences.

Can those who have been playing with many of the different roms tell me their perceived differences, their perceived pros/cons, and their impressions of each?

Occasionally in some of the threads, someone will make a comparison and invariably someone else will say "it's preference - and this is not the thread for this discussion." So, since I have not found the thread for that discussion I hope to start one. I know it's a tall order, but anyone wiling to give it a shot?
Old 11-22-2008, 10:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung I8000L
Carrier: Bell

Willis111 is becoming a great contributor
Re: Comparison between roms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkLaw View Post
PLEASE NOTE -- I AM NOT ASKING WHICH ROM IS BEST. I know each cook's roms are different and that their features list is important to look at. Problem is when I read through the change logs/feature list, not all of that stuff makes sense to me. And, when I try and compare, I don't usually see the differences.
From what I've gathered so far, and I'm still a noob at this as I've only had my ppc since ~august all roms are basically the same and the difference is the apps that are included. A good example of this would be might rom vs juicy rom. Both run the same sys and have exactly the same fixes and problems at any given time unless one of the devs of said rom got a jump on a problem and re-releases rather quickly but Juicy's is a little more stripped down and includes basics like pim backup (which should have been included in the stock rom ^^) and mighty goes further by adding things like gyrator etc. You should basically be looking at the list of extra apps installed. When there's a driver update released if one cook picks it up and says it made his pie taste better then every other cook will do the exact same the next day.

What I would still like to know is why no one is offering the most basic stripped down of everything you can install from a cabfile rom (not even opera included) and then including a cab package with all these extras. From what I understand if I flash a rom with a certain version of opera and then try and upgrade it from a cab it will give me an error since the program is built right into the rom. But then beggers can't be choosers and if you want to stay on the bleeding edge with things like fm radio etc you can only really choose what's being offered.

Main thing again is just look through the authors list of installed programs, updated apps/drivers, extras etc and decide what you really want in your systems default setup. It's usually also helpful to check the last page of a rom thread before flashing it to see if there are any unresolved issues with the rom you're looking at.

Last edited by Willis111; 11-22-2008 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:01 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Telus Mobility

MightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis111 View Post
From what I've gathered so far, and I'm still a noob at this as I've only had my ppc since ~august all roms are basically the same and the difference is the apps that are included. A good example of this would be might rom vs juicy rom. Both run the same sys and have exactly the same fixes and problems at any given time unless one of the devs of said rom got a jump on a problem and re-releases rather quickly but Juicy's is a little more stripped down and includes basics like pim backup (which should have been included in the stock rom ^^) and mighty goes further by adding things like gyrator etc. You should basically be looking at the list of extra apps installed. When there's a driver update released if one cook picks it up and says it made his pie taste better then every other cook will do the exact same the next day.
Yes and no...

For example, it comes down to personalization as well. A small example would be a comparison between mine vs. juicy. Juicy prefers more a stock feel when it comes to the programs menu and such, therefore leaves the stock width in the scrolling bars and such. I myself prefer having a tad larger scroll bar hence making it thicker, plus making the program icons smaller and adding more per row, hence being able to "see" more of what's on the screen.

Little things like that make a user difference.

Theres a bunch of these differences throughout our roms. When it comes down to driver updates, the new ones aren't always the best ones. In most cases the new drivers tend to cause bugs and sometimes not. In my roms I prefer to stay with what works best rather than venturing off to the newest stuff every time. Most of the newest drivers are ripped from other devices (not the diamond) therefore you get some incompatibility issues.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymike View Post
Yes and no...

For example, it comes down to personalization as well. A small example would be a comparison between mine vs. juicy. Juicy prefers more a stock feel when it comes to the programs menu and such, therefore leaves the stock width in the scrolling bars and such. I myself prefer having a tad larger scroll bar hence making it thicker, plus making the program icons smaller and adding more per row, hence being able to "see" more of what's on the screen.
Since most of that is built into the OS I figured that would fall under end-user customization, just up to people to rtfm for their device so they can find out how to change things like that. What I meant was generally you would both cook with say some brand new bt drivers for example, find out the drivers are complete garbage and don't work at all and most likely you would both revert back to the more stable driver version. While one of you might go on and find out why the new drivers weren't working and then re-release with patched new drivers which the other would pick up right away as well and cook into their next rom etc.

Something I would like to know would be what would happen if I flashed my cdma diamond touch with say swifts rom from xda which I would assume is for gsm. I know that cooked roms don't contain radios but I have read a few posts about people flashing with roms which they labelled as "gsm" roms and then flashing back to cdma and having trouble with their phone after that.

Last edited by Willis111; 11-22-2008 at 11:21 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:22 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Threadstarter

NewYorkLaw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNewYorkLaw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNewYorkLaw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNewYorkLaw is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymike View Post
Yes and no...
...Juicy prefers more a stock feel when it comes to the programs menu and such, therefore leaves the stock width in the scrolling bars and such. I myself prefer having a tad larger scroll bar hence making it thicker, plus making the program icons smaller and adding more per row, hence being able to "see" more of what's on the screen. Little things like that make a user difference. Theres a bunch of these differences throughout our roms...
What are some of the other differences?

Also, can anyone else comment on some of the other roms?
Old 11-22-2008, 11:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkLaw View Post
What are some of the other differences?

Also, can anyone else comment on some of the other roms?
... The differences are listed in the Authors rom threads as well as user comments. Now you're being lazy, go read.

edit: lol, just found the answer to my previous question in another thread ^^ http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=45984 talk about lazy!

Last edited by Willis111; 11-22-2008 at 11:27 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:30 PM
AWOL
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro 2 and Samsung Moment

indagroove is keeping up the good workindagroove is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis111 View Post

What I would still like to know is why no one is offering the most basic stripped down of everything you can install from a cabfile rom (not even opera included) and then including a cab package with all these extras. From what I understand if I flash a rom with a certain version of opera and then try and upgrade it from a cab it will give me an error since the program is built right into the rom. But then beggers can't be choosers and if you want to stay on the bleeding edge with things like fm radio etc you can only really choose what's being offered.
pocoROM is stripped down
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:08 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by indagroove View Post
pocoROM is stripped down
Ty sir
Old 11-23-2008, 12:09 AM
The Hibster
Pocket PC: 3DDD :p
Carrier: Sprint 4g

hibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to hibby50 Send a message via MSN to hibby50

press the ty button sir

This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:12 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibby50 View Post
press the ty button sir
thx for pointing that out

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development