PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Motorola Startac --> your phone ---> HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

pjsnyc is keeping up the good workpjsnyc is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to pjsnyc Send a message via AIM to pjsnyc Send a message via MSN to pjsnyc Send a message via Yahoo to pjsnyc Send a message via Skype™ to pjsnyc
Re: Should I switch from Verizon to Sprint and pay the penalty?

I say do it.

I've been with both Verizon and Sprint and for my purposes its pretty much the same in NYC - some places had better reception with VZW, some with Sprint (I used to have a Samsung i730 with VZW). You might be able to get your ETF prorated as well which might get Sprint to front the bill.

Also - I think I remember reading somewhere that if there's no Sprint signal whatsoever, you can roam on VZW for free. I haven't experienced this firsthand (or maybe I did and didn't realize). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:05 PM
ksg
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TP2, TP1, Kaiser, Apache & HP iPAQ hx2495b
Carrier: Verizon (formerly Alltel)

ksg knows their stuffksg knows their stuffksg knows their stuffksg knows their stuffksg knows their stuffksg knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsnyc View Post
Also - I think I remember reading somewhere that if there's no Sprint signal whatsoever, you can roam on VZW for free. I haven't experienced this firsthand (or maybe I did and didn't realize). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Yeah, the problem is that if there is any sprint coverage AT ALL (even a tiny bit) it'll stick on the junk connection.... even if there is a SOLID/full bars Verizon connection available.

That is what I liked about Alltel... in the northeast it would roam 1st on Verizon as there weren't any Alltel (owned) towers in the Northeast. Now Alltel is part of Verizon so it doesn't really matter.

I guess you could load custom PRLs depending on where you were, etc. but that is a whole different conversation for another time.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:52 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC touch pro

leegorkhalee is a n00b

It is always a good idea to check coverage for before you make the switch, but you will never know until you own it. no matter what. When you decide to switch don't port in you number ASAP. take your time check out the coverage with your "Temp number" then make a move if you are happy.

Personally, i have touch pro(Sprint) and i never problem with the service. I get really good up/download speed.

Worst comes you may look for an air wave and lower minutes combination.
hope it helps.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:21 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Arrive
Threadstarter

NYC Guy is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leegorkhalee View Post
It is always a good idea to check coverage for before you make the switch, but you will never know until you own it. no matter what. When you decide to switch don't port in you number ASAP. take your time check out the coverage with your "Temp number" then make a move if you are happy.

Personally, i have touch pro(Sprint) and i never problem with the service. I get really good up/download speed.

Worst comes you may look for an air wave and lower minutes combination.
hope it helps.
Frankly it would be a hassle not to port my number as I use it for business and all of my major accounts call me on it. I always have 30 days to cancel and switch back to Verizon if necessary.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:41 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

robsta is keeping up the good workrobsta is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Guy View Post
Frankly it would be a hassle not to port my number as I use it for business and all of my major accounts call me on it. I always have 30 days to cancel and switch back to Verizon if necessary.
Yea, your just going to want to try it out and then cancel before the 30 days is up if the coverage isn't up to par in your area.

Don't think this was mentioned but if you do decide to switch to Sprint it might be worth checking out the Bargain/For Sell section for a SERO plan. They are really cheap ($30 for 500 minutes, $50 for 1250 minutes) and include everything Sprint has to offer except TV and their Sprint Navigation program (easily remedied by a third-party GPS program). I switched over from ATT and would never look back. I would not know about the coverage in your area, but I have coverage almost anywhere I go on along the West Coast.

And, as people have already mentioned, Sprint does have roaming contracts with Verizon. When I am roaming, voice works as it should, however it should be noted that sometimes when I am roaming data will not work at all. I'm pretty sure it has to do with who's tower I am using and the agreements they have with Sprint.

Last edited by robsta; 08-18-2009 at 02:45 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:59 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Arrive
Threadstarter

NYC Guy is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsta View Post
Don't think this was mentioned but if you do decide to switch to Sprint it might be worth checking out the Bargain/For Sell section for a SERO plan. They are really cheap ($30 for 500 minutes, $50 for 1250 minutes) and include everything Sprint has to offer except TV and their Sprint Navigation program (easily remedied by a third-party GPS program). I switched over from ATT and would never look back. I would not know about the coverage in your area, but I have coverage almost anywhere I go on along the West Coast.
Do these Sero plans include unlimited data and texting or is that extra?
Old 08-18-2009, 11:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO 3D

capthr is keeping up the good workcapthr is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Guy View Post
Do these Sero plans include unlimited data and texting or is that extra?
They are included.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO 3D

capthr is keeping up the good workcapthr is keeping up the good work

I am in NYC and switched from VZW to Sprint about 18 mos. ago. I switched because of SERO but have been pleasantly surprised by the excellent customer service. The only area I have a problem with is in some areas within Penn Station and vicinity when on the LIRR. I have lost calls there and been disconnected from the internet at times. If you can get a SERO plan it's a no brainer you'll make back your penalty in a few months.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:40 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: RazrMaxx
Carrier: vzw

cbreze is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcbreze is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcbreze is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsnyc View Post
I say do it.

I agree also, Just do it. Trial it for 30 days and see at least. I'm a sprint noob with about 2 months sprint experience. I considered verizon and would have trialed them except sprint just turned out to be awesome for me. I had a roaming experience last week when in Laguna Beach where sprint has good coverage, I was in a canyon and lost sprint service, but was getting a verizon signal immediatly and was able to use my pro to make a call,no problem. I was impressed as I was still within the sprint service area. As for customer service it has been excellent so far, Once I got a guy I had trouble understanding and called back, got a lady who was fantastic. Have yet to experience the infamous sprint billing snafu's. I got auto pay and so far it is fine, twice anyway.
I was gsm for the last 9 years and was nervous about changing,but now I'm very happy. Excellent coverage, great pricing, excellent roaming so far, no complaints.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:47 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

nmjones is a n00b

I switched from Verizon to Sprint a little over a year ago. I kept Verizon while I tested out Sprint for a month while traveling. All the places I regularly use my phone Sprint was just as good or better. In places where there was no signal for Sprint there was roaming on either Verizon or AT&T. It's true that you can have full bars while roaming and not be able to call if there is a slight Sprint signal avaliable but for my PDA phone I did the registry edit which allows me to have a "roaming only" option which fixes that issue. I paid over $300 in termination fees for 4 phones but when you consider I have internet on 1 phone with Sprint for $10/month (Verizon at the time wanted $44/month) and the texting for all phones was also cheaper I have more than made that money back in services. To top it all off no one with Verizon in the building at my job location can get a signal. Only AT&T and Sprint(only because they roam on AT&T). So I spend several hours at work streaming music from some fantastic internet radio stations. Sprint recently added pick 3 on my now 5 phones for free...I'm on cloud nine with Sprint. The key is, does it work for you and where you use the phone. For me Sprint is the perfect choice. For you I could be a nightmare depending on your location.

Last edited by nmjones; 08-22-2009 at 05:56 AM.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion