PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2009, 03:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint/PPCGeeks

anthony67 is keeping up the good workanthony67 is keeping up the good workanthony67 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sprint 4G Data

We all know that 4G is on the way and Sprint is leading the way with it's WIMAX (Clear) coverage. Here is a video of Sprint's new 3G/4G air card in action.
http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/vide...=1#19330081001

What surprised me the most is the upload speed. Just imagine how sweet it will be on a PPC......enjoy!!

Last edited by anthony67; 04-13-2009 at 03:13 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro(VZN)
Carrier: Verizon

russianmafioso is a n00b
Re: Sprint 4G Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony67 View Post
We all know that 4G is on the way and Sprint is leading the way with it's WIMAX (Clear) coverage. Here is a video of Sprint's new 3G/4G air card in action.
http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/vide...=1#19330081001

What surprised me the most is the upload speed. Just imagine how sweet it will be on a PPC......enjoy!!
Personally, i think calling this 4G is kind of a sham. Think about what 4G LTE has to offer and then compare what WiMax offers. Compare the two speeds and tell me that they're really comprable. Not to mention the fact that things like HSDPA can deliver similar speeds.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:15 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro & Touch
Carrier: Sprint

delawaresace is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardelawaresace is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardelawaresace is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardelawaresace is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianmafioso View Post
Personally, i think calling this 4G is kind of a sham. Think about what 4G LTE has to offer and then compare what WiMax offers. Compare the two speeds and tell me that they're really comprable. Not to mention the fact that things like HSDPA can deliver similar speeds.
I'd love to compare the two. What carrier in the U.S. has LTE right now so i can see for my self?
Old 04-13-2009, 07:33 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro

neodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
The problem is that I never actually see those speeds over HSDPA. It almost seems like those Comcast ads telling you that you are paying for 10 megabit downstream but the most you ever pull is 6 megabit. I think real world performance trumps potential speeds.

But yes, you are right, LTE can theoretically go much faster. I just have yet to see it offered anywhere while I can use Wimax right now here in town. My main beef with Wimax is that I still have to pay for my home ISP so it doesn't make sense for me to pay for DSL at home and Wimax for my laptop on those occasions where I can't find Wifi. I used Xohm for a few months but currently I just fire up WMWifi when I need to connect since I already pay for 3G data.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: Sprint/PPCGeeks
Threadstarter

anthony67 is keeping up the good workanthony67 is keeping up the good workanthony67 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
But yes, you are right, LTE can theoretically go much faster.
Wimax or Clear has been tested at a steady 40-50 meg and they have pushed it to 70 meg. An upgrade here and one there and 100 meg is not out of the question. Last I looked, LTE was to run about the same.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:50 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

russianmafioso is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by delawaresace View Post
I'd love to compare the two. What carrier in the U.S. has LTE right now so i can see for my self?
Right now Verizon is running test trials in certain markets... and ATT is building their network as we speak. The real problem is, you can all talk about how WiMax has launched as a 4G technology, but its not being pushed at 4G speeds and its only available in Balitmore... Which is not even in the top 10 biggest cities in the nation(its actually #20).

Not to mention that it will only be used by ONE carried, Sprint and its being sold under the name Xohm?? Not to mention the fact that We all know WiMax is clearly slower than real 4G(LTE), which everyone else will be using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
The problem is that I never actually see those speeds over HSDPA. It almost seems like those Comcast ads telling you that you are paying for 10 megabit downstream but the most you ever pull is 6 megabit. I think real world performance trumps potential speeds.

But yes, you are right, LTE can theoretically go much faster. I just have yet to see it offered anywhere while I can use Wimax right now here in town. My main beef with Wimax is that I still have to pay for my home ISP so it doesn't make sense for me to pay for DSL at home and Wimax for my laptop on those occasions where I can't find Wifi. I used Xohm for a few months but currently I just fire up WMWifi when I need to connect since I already pay for 3G data.
Well, the thing is... right now WiMax doesnt go that fast. Its fast, but its nothing close to what LTE is going to be pushing. To give you an idea, ATT will be pushing LTE through their set top boxes for homes. So people can get Uverse-like quality through LTE. LTE's speeds have been proven to be ridiculously fast but the real question will remain what speed will carriers put on it?

Last edited by russianmafioso; 04-14-2009 at 02:53 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:43 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint 4G Network

Deimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I'm not sure it makes sense to be comparing an established service to a theoretical service that has yet to be deployed. Personally it sounds like a bunch of hopeful promises, but no one knows which will catch on as a standard model.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

sorge is becoming a great contributor

If I can download a sound in 5 seconds, I'm happy....I don't think the reason pages can take a while to render on a PPC is because of a slow connection, I think its the phone itself. LTE or Wimax won't matter unless the hardware can keep up with it.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

russianmafioso is a n00b

Here is your proof that HSPA is faster than "4G" Sprint... Its a 3.5G service thats just as fast as sprints claim to "4G".

http://brightsideofnews.com/news/200...prints-4g.aspx

Last edited by russianmafioso; 04-14-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:07 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: Diamond

Negrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorge View Post
If I can download a sound in 5 seconds, I'm happy....I don't think the reason pages can take a while to render on a PPC is because of a slow connection, I think its the phone itself. LTE or Wimax won't matter unless the hardware can keep up with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deimoss View Post
I'm not sure it makes sense to be comparing an established service to a theoretical service that has yet to be deployed. Personally it sounds like a bunch of hopeful promises, but no one knows which will catch on as a standard model.

Exactly!

Quote:
Here is your proof that HSPA is faster than "4G" Sprint... Its a 3.5G service thats just as fast as "4G".

http://brightsideofnews.com/news/200...prints-4g.aspx

Thats Italy. Im pretty sure 90% of us live in the states, or at least North America.

Last edited by Negrito; 04-14-2009 at 12:14 PM.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion