russianmafioso
PPCGeeks Regular

russianmafioso is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Sprint 4G Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by delawaresace View Post
I'd love to compare the two. What carrier in the U.S. has LTE right now so i can see for my self?
Right now Verizon is running test trials in certain markets... and ATT is building their network as we speak. The real problem is, you can all talk about how WiMax has launched as a 4G technology, but its not being pushed at 4G speeds and its only available in Balitmore... Which is not even in the top 10 biggest cities in the nation(its actually #20).

Not to mention that it will only be used by ONE carried, Sprint and its being sold under the name Xohm?? Not to mention the fact that We all know WiMax is clearly slower than real 4G(LTE), which everyone else will be using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
The problem is that I never actually see those speeds over HSDPA. It almost seems like those Comcast ads telling you that you are paying for 10 megabit downstream but the most you ever pull is 6 megabit. I think real world performance trumps potential speeds.

But yes, you are right, LTE can theoretically go much faster. I just have yet to see it offered anywhere while I can use Wimax right now here in town. My main beef with Wimax is that I still have to pay for my home ISP so it doesn't make sense for me to pay for DSL at home and Wimax for my laptop on those occasions where I can't find Wifi. I used Xohm for a few months but currently I just fire up WMWifi when I need to connect since I already pay for 3G data.
Well, the thing is... right now WiMax doesnt go that fast. Its fast, but its nothing close to what LTE is going to be pushing. To give you an idea, ATT will be pushing LTE through their set top boxes for homes. So people can get Uverse-like quality through LTE. LTE's speeds have been proven to be ridiculously fast but the real question will remain what speed will carriers put on it?

Last edited by russianmafioso; 04-14-2009 at 02:53 AM.