PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 11:57 PM
Linux Administrator
Pocket PC: HTC Evo -- Rooted
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

BooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Need phone suggestions quick for Verizon.

Hello all,
I dropped my work cell, and jacked it up bad. I need some suggestions for new phones pretty quickly as I need to let my Director know by this Friday.
Good thing though, is I am eligible for an upgrade and the datacom ladies told me I can get any of the Verizon Android phones or an iPhone 4S.

So, I am needing suggestions. I love Android so I think the iPhone is out of the question. I have an HTC EVO for my personal phone. I am looking at the Motorola Droid Razr MAXX and the Galaxy Nexus.
Price doesn't really matter, as the company allows up to $300 for phone replacement every 2 years, so they would both be "free" to me.

I would like to be able to root the phone so I can tether. There is pretty good LTE 4G coverage in my area as well. What are some pros and cons to them? What phones do you suggest (Im open to other models as well).?

Yup, Thats the actual speeds I get from my 1U production server
If my posts have been helpful in any way, please click the "Thanks" button --------------------------------> ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓
Old 02-08-2012, 12:05 AM
VFW Member
Pocket PC: GNote2 Sprint SERO!
Carrier: Theodore Roosevelt CVN-71

gullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
I'd go for the galaxy nexus, should be an easy root with tether. If its anywhere as good as my galaxy s2 you won't be disappointed!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using PPCGeeks
Old 02-08-2012, 05:09 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Need phone suggestions quick for Verizon.

Well question boils down to what exactly you use the phone for and whats most important to you?

As far as the 2 you mentioned, the Nexus is the phone that will get upgrades first. But it has some things like no microsd card and from what I hear no usb mass storage.(It uses MTP I think, which has a few advantages but isn't as good overall)

As far as the Motorola RAZR MAXX, well Motorola is usually pretty fast on upgrades(on verizon) in comparison to the rest. It also has a huge double sized battery of 3300mah. I think the bootloader is unlocked but not 100% sure...

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 02-08-2012, 08:22 AM
Linux Administrator
Pocket PC: HTC Evo -- Rooted
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium
Threadstarter

BooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuff

Im a little worried about the resolutions. The Razr MAXX has a lower resolution than the Nexus and the Rezound.
I like having the phone rootable, and being able to tether, but I also like a great looking display.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Sprint

EyeB is keeping up the good workEyeB is keeping up the good workEyeB is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

don't know if you'll be swayed but it looks like the moto might take sim cards, if you travel outside country for business, or if it can get unlocked/hacked for 3rd pt US carriers you could use it for a "personal" number that's off hours. You could do same with google voice though so this isn't a big deal but might sway you

Personally I'd take the moto because of the battery, the galaxy has larger screen but smaller battery :S For a business phone that'll be used throughout the day, it's kind of important that it lasts the day lol and you did say you were in a 4g area which means more battery drain if you plan on taking advantage of it

plus i like how it looks more >.>
Old 02-08-2012, 06:04 PM
#1 troll!
Pocket PC: Moto G5 Plus
Carrier: AT&T aka deathstar

fixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)

gnexus or droid razr maxx. im going with the maxx because it's a fantastic device and you will get 3 days battery life easily.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:31 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

I don't think you would go wrong with either the Nexus or Razr Maxx. I switched to Verizon this year and started out with the Razr (not maxx). I didn't really have a good experience with it due to data network disconnects and tried a couple replacements but it didnt solve the problem. In fairness, I believe they have already one OTA since the release which probably fixed this but have not read up in the Razr forums to confirm. Maxx should have really good battery life as well so that's good. My goal going into to it was to try something new. Coming from the HTC Evo, I really wanted to get the Razr or Nexus. However, when I returned the razr, they convinced me to try out a Rezound and to be honest I was very pleasantly surprised. Not nearly as many data issues, amazing screen and of course very familiar so I decided to keep it. I like the fact that I can switch out the battery when needed. I liked the form factor, to me it felt more comfortable to hold than the original razr. Also the camera was much better than the razr which to me took worse pics than my wife's evo shift. So I would say all three are worthy to consider. If I had to give up the Rezound, I would get the nexus. Hope this helps a little.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:17 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

If I was on andrizon and wanted an Android i would go for the Rezound or Gnexus.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Verizon

wesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Well question boils down to what exactly you use the phone for and whats most important to you?

As far as the 2 you mentioned, the Nexus is the phone that will get upgrades first. But it has some things like no microsd card and from what I hear no usb mass storage.(It uses MTP I think, which has a few advantages but isn't as good overall)

As far as the Motorola RAZR MAXX, well Motorola is usually pretty fast on upgrades(on verizon) in comparison to the rest. It also has a huge double sized battery of 3300mah. I think the bootloader is unlocked but not 100% sure...
The razrMAXX does not have an unlocked bootloader.

Nokia6110 - RazrV3 -LG8700 ------TP1 ---Imagio -- Tbolt - RazrMaxx
----MotoV710 -LG8600 - XV8600 ------TP2 ----DroidX - Gnex -RazrMaxxHD
(Palm T5, VZW-Xoom,VZW Xyboard)

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion