PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2011, 11:05 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2, EVO
Carrier: Sprint

CtDMonet is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sprint 4G v. Verizon LTE

I currently have an EVO (rooted, Deck GB Rom), and live in a 4G area. It is pretty fast, and I really love it. My wife needs a phone (I am still under contract, she is not). Verizon LTE just went live today here. The guy in the office next to mine just tested his Thunderbolt on speedtest.net @16Mbps (I tested 7.8 on my EVO) on LTE. I called Verizon to check prices, and it was much more expensive than Sprint (1500minutes, one 4G phone, 2 lines, corporate discount (23%) w/Sprint = $117/mo). I know that I would have to add 4G to the other phone to be comparable so I'll assume $127 as the baseline.

A 1400 plan with Verizon (2 lines) is $120. Add 4G Data for $60 (2 lines). That's $180 a month. Combine that with the Sprint buyout of my contract ($200? - 1 yr left), 2 new phones ($250-300 ea), makes it look like I need $800 up front, and to increase my bill by $53 a month.

Are there cheaper alternatives? I heard something about studentrate and Amazon Wireless, but haven't really had time to do much research. Any Help?
Old 06-14-2011, 11:26 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Sprint 4G v. Verizon LTE

The first thing you should check is whether or not Verizon implemented tiered data yet...They had early promotions for unlimited 4g plans and plan to convert them to tiered data sometime this year..not sure if that already happened or not...

There is also existence of 70$ plans that verizon was testing out but not sure how hard it is to get them.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 06-15-2011, 10:01 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC TP2

EyeB is keeping up the good workEyeB is keeping up the good workEyeB is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

maybe use wifi at home/work when you need faster speeds?

Then again... what could you need such speeds for on a phone? Do you tether it to computer or something? Not many apps need the speeds to download/and web browsing doesnt need it either, even streaming movies wouldn't get much extra out of it
Old 06-16-2011, 12:46 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
maybe use wifi at home/work when you need faster speeds?

Then again... what could you need such speeds for on a phone? Do you tether it to computer or something? Not many apps need the speeds to download/and web browsing doesnt need it either, even streaming movies wouldn't get much extra out of it
I agree. The only time I need the speed is if I am downloading files like off the Market or a podcast or something.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:20 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

CtDMonet is a n00b

My home internet is Clear, which is the same speed as Sprint (WiMax), so WiFi really does nothing for me. I had a separate laptop Clear card, to keep family bandwith from being split when watching different stations in different rooms, but when I got my EVO, no sense in paying the extra $30, when my phone does the same thing. I tether to my laptop, stream HD. Amazon on Demand works well, but Hulu sometimes hangs (buffer) when I stream HD.

So far, WiMax has been fine, but when I had 256kps with DSL, that was smoking fast for a period of time. Needs tend to follow the available speeds. When 4G came out, it was great-eliminated the need to have a home network. Now, DSL networks are at 25-40Mbps -- you can't tell me that developers won't make use of this speed. Then running 4G (or 3G) will be like dial up.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:02 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC 3VO 3D

Mswezey is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMswezey is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMswezey is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMswezey is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Mswezey Send a message via MSN to Mswezey Send a message via Yahoo to Mswezey Send a message via Skype™ to Mswezey

7 megs is still pretty good by todays standard...

my off-campus apartments had 1.5meg down and 256k up, so i pay an extra $15 a month for 3 megs up and down... soo much better and that's just with 3 megs.

Now I can see if you had cable and had a 20 meg down connection (love going to my dad's house) and fell back on 7 megs.

I'd stick with sprint for your service, in less you really want LTE now. (Sprint is going to go LTE)
Old 06-22-2011, 10:34 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

CtDMonet is a n00b

I think the Light Squared announcement really helps my level of comfort in the stability of Sprint. It would add a little more comfort if the the Att-TMobile merger/purchase was blocked....

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion

Tags
4g, lte, rates, sprint, verizon