PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2010, 09:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

martypng is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: How is forcing a data plan legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley762 View Post
I think they just got tired of people getting smart phones and running up $3000.00 bills for data and the customers telling them to F off.
Perhaps they should allow smartphones without data plans, but only if you have a data block. That's what I have now, just to be sure I don't use any data by mistake on my Verizon phone.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:08 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT

Sorry but, shut up and deal with it. What is the point of one of these phones with out a data plan anyway ? Most features on a WM, Iphone or Andrond phone is based around a internet connection. I can understand if your near Wi-FI every moment of your life (and no one is 100% of their life)

If you don't want the data plan, don't sign up and get a non-internet enabled phone.

Just my 0.02.....
Old 08-23-2010, 09:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Threadstarter

martypng is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinCT View Post
Sorry but, shut up and deal with it. What is the point of one of these phones with out a data plan anyway ? Most features on a WM, Iphone or Andrond phone is based around a internet connection. I can understand if your near Wi-FI every moment of your life (and no one is 100% of their life)
Hey, take it easy! I happen to live/work/play in an area where I'd be hard-pressed to find a spot WITHOUT wi-fi! Wi-fi is getting pretty ubiquitous in a lot of decent-sized cities, yet we're still getting data-raped.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:05 PM
lt cmdr of a garbage scow
Pocket PC: epic 4g
Carrier: sprint

austin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

my mom lives in philly, and they have free citywide wifi. i think you pay for it with your property taxes up there.

edit. this may have changed.

Last edited by austin420; 08-24-2010 at 02:10 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:19 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO3D
Carrier: SERO-P

lafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylt1 View Post
not when you buy a smartphone.

OP the reasoning for the "data plan on all smartphones" is to prevent you from using $500 worth of data and them having to cut off your service because you cant/wont pay the bill. its cheaper in the long run to just pay the $29.99 data plan. if you dont want data, dont buy a smartphone. your only other option is companies like boost or virgin mobile. i believe they have the "everything" plans for like $50.
op never mentions anything about a smartphone until the end of the thread.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diam0nd
Carrier: Sprint

iampepito is keeping up the good workiampepito is keeping up the good work

I'm not sure if anyone has seen this video I linked below; its basically a conversation with a Sprint Executive Analyst. I think its pretty funny how difficult it is to get a clear, and concise answer from their reps on the subject. My issue Sprint firstly pushes their customers coming from their windows mobile smart phones/palm/bb to pay for their special plans that their new android smart phones oh so desperately are in need of. Now, they are trying to get their hands a little deeper in our pockets to get an additional 10.00 a month because of processor, larger screen and front facing cameras. I don't understand why Sprint cant make it an option to use the "10 dollar premium data add on" at customers decression. Just like their data card plans, apparently there is a 5gb cap on their 3g cards and no cap on their 4g cards. Why wouldn't their offer you the ability to choose between a possible cap on their data rather then trying to convince their customers that if they would like a phone that has acceptional hardware specifications that Sprint must charge an additional fee, on top of their specific unlimited data smartphone plans that they've already forced upon us. Although I understand that people could go to different networks, what if you are on a family contract, would it be reasonable to suggest paying all the early termination fees at that point to use a carrier with different policy on customers needs? Not really, basically, they are putting all their existing customers in a very uncomfortable situation. Either, don't enjoy their newest phones with the high end hardware or be a pushover and pay an additional 10.00 for an add-on that in no shape or form would follow the traditional attributes of a "add on." Anything that is forced upon to in a dictator fashion should never be labeled as an add on, maybe a fee. I really don't appreciate how they are teasing their customers with these high end phones that you have to pay for over and over and over again, they should be responsible business owners and had anticipated that they had these types of phones coming out and had priced their already forced unlimited data plans accordingly. I truely don't respect their business ethics. I know I'm only one of many who are questioning these charges and their justifications. However, I see it the same way that text messaging or talk minutes have been sold, it varies from situation to situation, so how can Sprint insist all their customers are going to be using more data then they would in compararason to when they say had a HTC HERO or Samsung Moment. I can't find appropriate justification in their pricing motivations. It appears to me, data alone just doesn't seem to cut it. The only obvious difference in the Evo or Epic is going to be the front facing Camera that would directly reflect their Data Premium. Someone tell me I'm all wrong. I truely feel like Sprint is trying to get shady on their customers. I'd like to know what Accountant over at Sprint determined the price hike, I gotta wonder whats next?

Anyways, I highly disagree after fishing for answers from their reps, I very much dislike the erroneous responses that you get from their drones in customer support. I swear they come up with their responses on the spot, since they usually are all different. I don't think the majority of their own company even understands Sprint's charges.

Anyways, here are the links that are of relevance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-sRcRf0CbA -- Video of Dan Hesee explaining the new and free 4g that their newest smartphones offer

--- The conversation with the Executive Analyst explaining a reasoning for the premium data charges in regards to Evo, Epic, Hero, Moment, 4g and 3g
Old 08-24-2010, 01:55 AM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampepito View Post
I'm not sure if anyone has seen this video I linked below; its basically a conversation with a Sprint Executive Analyst. I think its pretty funny how difficult it is to get a clear, and concise answer from their reps on the subject. My issue Sprint firstly pushes their customers coming from their windows mobile smart phones/palm/bb to pay for their special plans that their new android smart phones oh so desperately are in need of. Now, they are trying to get their hands a little deeper in our pockets to get an additional 10.00 a month because of processor, larger screen and front facing cameras. I don't understand why Sprint cant make it an option to use the "10 dollar premium data add on" at customers decression. Just like their data card plans, apparently there is a 5gb cap on their 3g cards and no cap on their 4g cards. Why wouldn't their offer you the ability to choose between a possible cap on their data rather then trying to convince their customers that if they would like a phone that has acceptional hardware specifications that Sprint must charge an additional fee, on top of their specific unlimited data smartphone plans that they've already forced upon us. Although I understand that people could go to different networks, what if you are on a family contract, would it be reasonable to suggest paying all the early termination fees at that point to use a carrier with different policy on customers needs? Not really, basically, they are putting all their existing customers in a very uncomfortable situation. Either, don't enjoy their newest phones with the high end hardware or be a pushover and pay an additional 10.00 for an add-on that in no shape or form would follow the traditional attributes of a "add on." Anything that is forced upon to in a dictator fashion should never be labeled as an add on, maybe a fee. I really don't appreciate how they are teasing their customers with these high end phones that you have to pay for over and over and over again, they should be responsible business owners and had anticipated that they had these types of phones coming out and had priced their already forced unlimited data plans accordingly. I truely don't respect their business ethics. I know I'm only one of many who are questioning these charges and their justifications. However, I see it the same way that text messaging or talk minutes have been sold, it varies from situation to situation, so how can Sprint insist all their customers are going to be using more data then they would in compararason to when they say had a HTC HERO or Samsung Moment. I can't find appropriate justification in their pricing motivations. It appears to me, data alone just doesn't seem to cut it. The only obvious difference in the Evo or Epic is going to be the front facing Camera that would directly reflect their Data Premium. Someone tell me I'm all wrong. I truely feel like Sprint is trying to get shady on their customers. I'd like to know what Accountant over at Sprint determined the price hike, I gotta wonder whats next?

Anyways, I highly disagree after fishing for answers from their reps, I very much dislike the erroneous responses that you get from their drones in customer support. I swear they come up with their responses on the spot, since they usually are all different. I don't think the majority of their own company even understands Sprint's charges.
Para-

Graphs

Make

Life

Easier!

LOL

and this isnt about $10 charges.. Its like buying a Porsche.. evrything you do to it(tires,brakes,anything under the hood/trunk) has to be Porsche Rated/Certified... its the cost of ownership of a Premium vehicle... You want a smartphone, gotta have a premium plan and that includes data.. its the cost of ownership of a Premier Device...

gotta pay to play..
Old 08-26-2010, 05:37 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martypng View Post
I am interested in understanding how it is legal for providers to force a data plan. If they are subsidizing a phone under contract I understand they need to recoup the cost, but what if I bring my own phone and don't want a data plan? How is that in any way legal? That would be like if we were forced to pay the tolls for all toll roads even if we never drive on them.
Because you are not compelled to buy service from them. Since you are choosing to buy a service, you may select from any offered service they provide, or you may choose to select a different provider, or no provider at all. They provide whatever services they wish, at whatever cost they choose.

Isn't the free market wonderful? Or were you looking for the People's Glorious Leap Forward Wireless Provider?
Old 08-29-2010, 05:23 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by martypng View Post
Hey, take it easy! I happen to live/work/play in an area where I'd be hard-pressed to find a spot WITHOUT wi-fi! Wi-fi is getting pretty ubiquitous in a lot of decent-sized cities, yet we're still getting data-raped.
No office was ment on that.

I thought the same thing when I got my first WM, I had a Xv6700, and Verizon was charging $44.99 a month for unlimited and I paid it. They would not let me go down to the $29.99 mo till I got a 6800.

I wondered about the data too, it was too much money but, for now, I love having the data where I go...

http://mc.anywherecool.com/Blog/
If I helped in anyway, please hit thanks !
Old 08-30-2010, 01:49 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: VZN TP
Carrier: VZN

Mylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafester View Post
op never mentions anything about a smartphone until the end of the thread.
didnt i reply AFTER his comment about smartphones? also the OP has a Touch Pro, a SMARTPHONE. what was the point of your post, to be ignorant, just to try and feel intelligent, or to just post to post to pad your post count?

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion

Tags
data plan, legal, legality