PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 05:18 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON
Carrier: Verizon

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT
Verizon Network Extenter ? Any good ?

I live in a area where I get fairly good signal in the winter and when spring comes along, the leaves come back on the trees, I lose 1-2 bars on my phone. This is enough to make my home full of dead spots at this time of the year. Some rooms, we can't even make phone calls now.

This is just not my current phone, I have had this problem for years now, through a Moto flip phone (v710) a xv6700 and my 6800. My wife has a blackberry storm, she has the same problem.

I called up Verizon, pissed off(after calls dropping 3 times in one day) and after about 45 min on the phone (with the same BS troubleshooting), they told me about the Network Extender and also said they had pages of problems in my area and there was nothing they can do.

Personally, I have been with Verizon from 1997 and on our current plans give them almost $175 a month between phones. I think they should just give me one of these but, they offered me a fair deal on one.

I know it does not cover their EVO network(internet) but, it claims it improves call reception big time for about 3000-5000 sq ft.

Any one have one of these ? How well do they work ? Any real issues ?

I've seen some reviews but, wanted to hear real world usage over a little time (even a month with one).

Is there any device that will boost over all signal, incuding internet ?

Thanks !!!

http://mc.anywherecool.com/Blog/
If I helped in anyway, please hit thanks !
Old 06-27-2010, 06:46 PM
The PPCG CR Guy!
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

Laos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Laos101
Re: Verizon Network Extenter ? Any good ?

unfortunately, getting something out of Verizon these days is tough. Getting the offer on a good deal for the Network Extended may though be your only option.

The mini-hotspot stuff all works the same. its a mini wireless tower, essentially between 5 and 10 thousand sq feet of boosted reception depending on what your house is made of. However if its bad with VZW there is a chance its bad with everyone so you gain nothing moving (Sounds to me you have no tall buildings for them to base towers and take advantage and not be struck down by trees, but tell me whats up in specifics)

Sure, try it. Itll boost call network quality (1X) even if it wont do 3G. WiFi is always an alternative for your smartphones that have it. If thats not good enough then i dunno.

As for free, good luck is all I gotta say. You can try to mention Sprint's deals but like i said it depends on how valuable you are and if they even still care about losing carriers when they are on top, I've had bad and good moments with them, but very bad as recently they closed down win back, retentions, etc.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:49 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Thanks, Just wondering how well it works and it sounds like it will do the job. I talked to my wife and she thinks I would be crazy to pay for a device to pay them for their service (if you know what I mean). I kind of feel the same.

I've been thinking about AT&T due to GSM phones (better phones that come out before CDMA models) and their coverage in this area is pretty good, so if they don't do anything for me, it's not a big deal for me to move because I can take my number with me.

After all, we are both out of contracts, We both are planning to get a new phone in the next few months and plan on signing a contract. It does not matter to me who I am with, as long as I can make a call and I have a cool phone.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Mr. Chevy
Pocket PC: Kaiser, XV6800, Ozone, & TP2
Carrier: Linearly polarized plane waves in LTE modulation

drewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

It works great. The one downfall is that you have to get close to the unit for it to switch when you have been away from your house. The unit is priced at $250. I talked them to $100 threatening to leave and they also looked at the tower locations and knew my area wasn't good.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:36 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcam888 View Post
It works great. The one downfall is that you have to get close to the unit for it to switch when you have been away from your house. The unit is priced at $250. I talked them to $100 threatening to leave and they also looked at the tower locations and knew my area wasn't good.
Thanks, I ended up getting one. After my nightmare with them(trust me, 2 weeks calling ever other day and getting the run-around on this subject) on the phone (long story), They gave me one for $99.99 and RIGHT NOW there is a $100 mail in rebate on this. So, it will be free for me after rebate.

If anyone wants one, They sell in the stores for $199.99 now and a $100 rebate on them, comes to $99.

I have been testing it for a day now, spots where I could not even dial out never mind getting a call, work perfect now. I can walk all over my house and get signal fine (not a lot of bars but, instant connect and calls come in clear all over my home).

There is some funky things with it but, it works really well.

If someone can't find the rebate form, I can attach it here (have a PDF of it)

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion

Tags
network extender, verizon wireless