PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2010, 02:33 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Note
Carrier: ATT

NIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Whats the big deal with 4G?

Whats the big deal with 4G? I mean seriously, there was nothing wrong with the 3G speeds, it seems the only problem I have is the phone’s processor can’t keep up in rendering web pages fast enough. If you can get 500k to 2mb right now, than that’s all you need, you can listen to music online and surf the net with no problem on the phone.

I think its all hype, I’m sure they’ll charge you another 30 bucks on top of the 30 bucks they charge people for data or make up some other pricing gimmick. What these phones really need is some powerful processors, lots of memory and faster video cards. Since they already cost more than most laptop computers these days, I don’t see why they haven’t implemented this a while back. Our TP2 should’ve been twice the speed with twice the memory of the TP1 but sadly we get a bigger frame size and no flash for the camera and we’re stuck with all the old parts.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:53 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: touch pro duece
Carrier: sprint pcs

dav1boy is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: Whats the big deal with 4G?

its just a part of evolution. with apps growing as it is and the demand for streaming video content over the air, carriers have no choice but to move forward with 4g. in sprints case with the mifi, having a 3g and at best 2mps connection isnt going to cut it since you can connect 5 lappys to it. but the bigger picture is, dare i say it, the carriers would eventually want you the consumer to replace your home isp and go with their 4g service because it is or will be fast enough for you to ditch your cable or dsl service..... thats my take...
Old 01-13-2010, 02:55 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

NIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav1boy View Post
its just a part of evolution. with apps growing as it is and the demand for streaming video content over the air, carriers have no choice but to move forward with 4g. in sprints case with the mifi, having a 3g and at best 2mps connection isnt going to cut it since you can connect 5 lappys to it. but the bigger picture is, dare i say it, the carriers would eventually want you the consumer to replace your home isp and go with their 4g service because it is or will be fast enough for you to ditch your cable or dsl service..... thats my take...
That might be true, but knowing carriers like Verizon, they'll probably charge you twice what dsl or cable companies charge AND put a cap limit of 5GB!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:00 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

What we really need instead of 4G is some real competition. Basically we have 4 companies who collude with each other and set prices. Cell service should be cheaper than home phone or even cable prices because these companies don’t have to built large infrastructure to connect each and every home plus they don’t have to pay electricity to feed the signal coming to your home. These companies make higher profits than drug dealers as I see it.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: sprint

*king* is becoming a great contributor

Well on sprint the 3g cards have the 5mb cap but the 4g card is unlimited
Old 01-13-2010, 03:18 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo 3D
Carrier: Sprint

gutrrob knows their stuffgutrrob knows their stuffgutrrob knows their stuffgutrrob knows their stuffgutrrob knows their stuffgutrrob knows their stuff

Correct me if im wrong but 4G would save the carriers money in the long run, More call/Data can be handled on a single tower which makes it cheaper for them. We might see a bill increase in the begining but overall should have better pricing in the long run.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:19 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo LTE
Carrier: Sprint

subzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to subzero1313 Send a message via MSN to subzero1313 Send a message via Yahoo to subzero1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav1boy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by *king* View Post
Well on sprint the 3g cards have the 5mb cap but the 4g card is unlimited
this^

Though I'm an employee so its all unlimited for me, but thats a different story. I just ordered my Sierra Overdrive. /goodbye Time Warner and your crappy over priced service
Old 01-13-2010, 03:32 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: touch pro duece
Carrier: sprint pcs

dav1boy is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKKG View Post
What we really need instead of 4G is some real competition. Basically we have 4 companies who collude with each other and set prices. Cell service should be cheaper than home phone or even cable prices because these companies don’t have to built large infrastructure to connect each and every home plus they don’t have to pay electricity to feed the signal coming to your home. These companies make higher profits than drug dealers as I see it.
keep in mind that those large infrastructures as you put it were built decades ago. it was the only way they knew how to bring tv, phone, and internet service to your home. in those days cell phones were bricks and carried around in luggage bags. i dont think anyone at that time thought or knew cell service would evolve like it has. this last decade has been revolutionary not only in the growth of cell networks but the internet as well.

your right about the prices. its anyones guess how bad or good that will be these next few years. but imagine if you could have one provider, a cell provider that can bring HSI, tv, phone service with using only one device....your cell phone.... thats pretty amazing...

at first ppl thought camera phones were a joke. then the thought of using data on your phone to web browse was a bigger joke. look at it now.... i for one am excited to see what the future brings. and if sprint takes it to that level and is still able to offer it at a fair price then im all for it

Last edited by dav1boy; 01-13-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:11 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: VZW TP2 GREATEST VZW PHONE EVER
Carrier: VZW

isdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuff

I also wouldn't mind Voice and Data at the same time on a CDMA device... its about time. GSM networks have had that it for quite some time.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

dwmackay is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutrrob View Post
Correct me if im wrong but 4G would save the carriers money in the long run, More call/Data can be handled on a single tower which makes it cheaper for them. We might see a bill increase in the begining but overall should have better pricing in the long run.
This should be true to a point, but typically the gating factor for cell companies is the distance between towers not the throughput of each one.

Also, just like disk space, once you have extra bandwidth, you will find a way to gobble it up and want more...

Doug M.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion