PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 03:16 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ
Carrier: Sprint

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Bible app wants access to my phone calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123sit View Post
Just a guess but internet would be necessary for update checking and pulling content.

that was hilarious to me at first!!! updates to the bible.. lol

seriously though, they need to provide clear reasons for asking for such info.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

I can't say I've downloaded any bible apps lately, but I concur with the previous statement - sure it's nice that Android apps are required to warn us of what they access - but I'd like a better explanation of why these apps need access to this that or the other thing.

A bible app accessing phone calls?!? That is insanity.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:55 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: VZW Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

natemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
I can't say I've downloaded any bible apps lately, but I concur with the previous statement - sure it's nice that Android apps are required to warn us of what they access - but I'd like a better explanation of why these apps need access to this that or the other thing.

A bible app accessing phone calls?!? That is insanity.
Or even better, the ability to allow or deny apps access to components as we wish.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:13 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
Or even better, the ability to allow or deny apps access to components as we wish.
May cause unforeseen side effects, but it would be nice to do that as well... even to just see what it breaks
Old 10-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Verizon

wesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I actually used google app inventor to write a program today. I packaged it directly from the inventor and installed it on my phone. The permissions it ask for (remember I just threw this thing together myself this morning) include
storage
network comunication
and phone calls.

Maybe it's a default setting that gets included unless the programmer specifically turns them off even though there isn't anything in the program that could possibly use it.

Nokia6110 - RazrV3 -LG8700 ------TP1 ---Imagio -- Tbolt - RazrMaxx
----MotoV710 -LG8600 - XV8600 ------TP2 ----DroidX - Gnex -RazrMaxxHD
(Palm T5, VZW-Xoom,VZW Xyboard)
Old 10-07-2010, 06:38 PM
VIP Member

natemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesscoggin View Post
I actually used google app inventor to write a program today. I packaged it directly from the inventor and installed it on my phone. The permissions it ask for (remember I just threw this thing together myself this morning) include
storage
network comunication
and phone calls.

Maybe it's a default setting that gets included unless the programmer specifically turns them off even though there isn't anything in the program that could possibly use it.
Generally that phone setting is only to get call status to make sure it doesn't come to front or try to access data when a call is coming in or while you are on the phone.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:41 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbellot View Post
Then why would he need access to your internet, sdcard, and phone calls?

So he can see what stuff are on your phone, what you do on the internet and listen into your phone convos..duh...lol

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 10-07-2010, 07:01 PM
VIP Member

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; Opera Mini/5.1.21594/20.2489; U; en) Presto/2.5.25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbellot View Post
Then why would he need access to your internet, sdcard, and phone calls?

So he can see what stuff are on your phone, what you do on the internet and listen into your phone convos..duh...lol
Internet to download new content. SD card for storage. Phone for call status. Probably also polls to see when the call ends to bring the app back into focus.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Mesmerize
Carrier: USCC

123sit knows their stuff123sit knows their stuff123sit knows their stuff123sit knows their stuff123sit knows their stuff123sit knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to 123sit

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; Opera Mini/5.1.21594/20.2489; U; en) Presto/2.5.25)

Internet to download new content. SD card for storage. Phone for call status. Probably also polls to see when the call ends to bring the app back into focus.
That sounds familiar, lol
Old 10-07-2010, 11:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G

pringlet is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpringlet is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpringlet is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpringlet is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to pringlet

....and they call the iphone the Jesus phone? this might be the real thing.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2