PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2010, 12:07 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: VZW

sammycomelately is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Wifi router or USB tethering please

I haven't tried the apk yet either, but when you are not tethering does the data work on your Android?
Old 09-03-2010, 02:58 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond / TP2
Carrier: Sprint

hansk75 is keeping up the good workhansk75 is keeping up the good workhansk75 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammycomelately View Post
I haven't tried the apk yet either, but when you are not tethering does the data work on your Android?
Yes. My data works regardless. The only issue is that it does not seem to support encryption or access list. Other than that, I can tether w/o any problem.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:00 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

hansk75 is keeping up the good workhansk75 is keeping up the good workhansk75 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr00ejr View Post
Okay...so I figured out how to install the apk. This is the same thing I downloaded from the market but maybe a newer version? Maybe not? Either way - the Market version I couldn't get the Tether to ever start. This version it starts and I can see and presumably connect to it from my iPod Touch but I'm not successful at anything I try to do on the Touch that requires web access. Seems it connects, but it's not getting on the internet.

Thoughts?
Does the IPod Touch support Ad-Hoc mode? There is no AP mode with the posted apk. Also, if you have WEP enabled, it will not work... at least in my case. I have to disable WEP and the access list in order to tether my laptop and use it.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:22 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

jdr00ejr is a n00b
Send a message via Yahoo to jdr00ejr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansk75 View Post
Does the IPod Touch support Ad-Hoc mode? There is no AP mode with the posted apk. Also, if you have WEP enabled, it will not work... at least in my case. I have to disable WEP and the access list in order to tether my laptop and use it.
I hit "THANKS!" I came to the same WEP not working conclusion so I decided "Well at least I can use the AC to secure it a little." Never gave it a second thought that the AC wasn't working either.

Not fond of the totally Unsecure...but for what I need it for, it'll keep me out of WinMo and that makes me happy!

~~~~~~~~~
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not on thine own understanding. In all they ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." ~Proverbs 3:5-6
Old 09-03-2010, 01:57 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

manekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuff

Quote:
I echo the question on Wifi Tethering...since this is Froyo 2.2 - where's the Wireless Hotspot Tethering option? Is there something I need to install? If I can tether, I have no more use for WinMo on this device.
I still am curious though, I thought Froyo had wifi tethering built-in? Is it being purposefully removed to keep the size down or something like that?
Old 09-03-2010, 02:38 PM
VIP Member - Retired
Pocket PC: Moto Flip>Smsng 8500>Razr v3m>Mogul>TP>3 TP2s+ ??
Carrier: Sprint Premier Gold- White Glove Status

teradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aronlib View Post
Did you try this one, it works for me,
http://xdandroid.southcape.org/xdandroid-tether.apk
If I have helped you please click thanks.
So you're on Sprint! What did you do to make it work? I've done this over & over.. all apps on market... MORE INFO PLEASE... What ROM, etc..?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammycomelately View Post
08-26-10 build of CAB - Android v2.2 Froyo: BLAZN on Verizon HTC TP2.
I have an general Android question, so this is Android 2.2, but I am not seeing the Wireless & Networks, Tethering and Portable Hotspot, Portable Wifi Hotspot that I thought was supposed to be in 2.2, unless removed by the carrier?
I do see the USB tethering but I believe that is documented as not working at this time. Thanks!
+1 that's what i read too?
Quote:
Okay...so I figured out how to install the apk. This is the same thing I downloaded from the market but maybe a newer version? Maybe not? Either way - the Market version I couldn't get the Tether to ever start. This version it starts and I can see and presumably connect to it from my iPod Touch but I'm not successful at anything I try to do on the Touch that requires web access. Seems it connects, but it's not getting on the internet. Thoughts?
+1 same here. BTW, seems most DL a file manager, ASTRO seems to be most popular...

If anyone's got tethering working on a SPRINT TP2 Android (SD card), PLEASE PM me with details, I'll hit your thanks button LOTS! (please don't point me to all the droid apps, I've tried most.. do YOU have it working?)
Thanks in advance (i'll write up a faq on it once I get it to work & credit YOU) :>))
Old 09-03-2010, 02:43 PM
VIP Member - Retired

teradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
...There is no AP mode with the posted apk. Also, if you have WEP enabled, it will not work... at least in my case. I have to disable WEP and the access list in order to tether my laptop and use it.
The wifi search util should show all though I think? at least on mine.. it tells whether open, WEP or WAP & shows a lock if secured... mine won't even show it as a wifi, (let alone connect to it).
YOu have your's working also? With SPRINT?! Friggen A,
Question, before you did that disabling you said above, could you see it as wifi, but just not connect? Or, couldn't you see it either?
What OS is your laptop please?
What wifi are you using a Third party or Windows?
Are you using the same one as posted above???

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by teradog; 09-03-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by teradog View Post
The wifi search util should show all though I think? at least on mine.. it tells whether open, WEP or WAP & shows a lock if secured... mine won't even show it as a wifi, (let alone connect to it).
YOu have your's working also?
I have been using my phone with my laptop just fine. Like I said couple of posts ago, disable WEP, WPA, WPA2 or whatever and also AC. I realized that mine didn't work when I have any encryption or security feature set up on the setting but as soon as I disable them, it works just fine.

Hope this helps.

Windows 7 64bit..

I was able to see wifi w/o any problem. Maybe you need to test your wifi first. Make sure you can connect to any AP and then set up tether after you are successful with wifi connection from TP2.

Last edited by hansk75; 09-03-2010 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Posted question added and changed
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:02 PM
VIP Member - Retired

Quote:
I have been using my phone with my laptop just fine. Like I said couple of posts ago, disable WEP, WPA, WPA2 or whatever and also AC. I realized that mine didn't work when I have any encryption or security feature set up on the setting but as soon as I disable them, it works just fine.
Hope this helps.
Windows 7 64bit..
I was able to see wifi w/o any problem. Maybe you need to test your wifi first. Make sure you can connect to any AP and then set up tether after you are successful with wifi connection from TP2.
Right THANKS! But, back to my Q (for my own trouble shooting) Just to be clear..
1. You were able to see the wifi from the phone PRIOR to doing all your disables?
2. "support Ad-Hoc mode? There is no AP mode with the posted apk" I'm using my phone as both! It becomes an AP.. Hotspot, etc..
Is that what you mean?

re. testing wifi? ALL i use is wifi, prob not an issue, which piece are you suggesting???

*edit* on #1 above, when phone becomes a wifi router, were you able to see it as a wifi hotspot on your laptop?

Last edited by teradog; 09-03-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by teradog View Post
Right THANKS! But, back to my Q (for my own trouble shooting) Just to be clear..
1. You were able to see the wifi from the phone PRIOR to doing all your disables?
2. "support Ad-Hoc mode? There is no AP mode with the posted apk" I'm using my phone as both! It becomes an AP.. Hotspot, etc..
Is that what you mean?

re. testing wifi? ALL i use is wifi, prob not an issue, which piece are you suggesting???

*edit* on #1 above, when phone becomes a wifi router, were you able to see it as a wifi hotspot on your laptop?
1. Yes, I was able to before disabling everything.
2. Wifi Hotspot created by the app is on ad-hoc mode, not ap mode. This is important to me because my Kindle 3 only supports AP mode. So I can't use my phone with Kindle 3

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2