PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2010, 05:22 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: tp2
Carrier: us cellular

cmrowe74 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Android running on US Cellular data service

still a no go for me.. I tryed using my meid from back of phone 18 digits long dec. configured my options.smd1 and pap-secrets switched from airplane off to on and still shows only up arrow activity no download activity. really confussed. I rechecked the files to make sure the phonenumber@uscc.net was correct. I'm lost here. What is the difference between meid and msid?
Old 03-22-2010, 05:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

eval- is keeping up the good workeval- is keeping up the good work

phh has reminded me i am still an idiot and should've noticed /init.etc (which is persistent)
so, hopefully this is the end:

STEP 1: find the right username@uscc.net for /etc/ppp/pap-secrets & options.smd1

Play around until you find your username. Usually it is your phone number, sometimes it can be your ESN or MEID number. Edit these files after dialing ##778 and pressing "View." If dude420420 is right, this should give you your account username. You might have to call USCC to find out.

pap-secrets needs to look like:
Code:
username@uscc.net * username
options.smd1 needs to have:
Code:
user username@uscc.net
as the last line. (leave all the others)

After changing these files, try Airplane On / Airplane Off to test. If it works, move to Step 2. If it doesn't, try to figure out why. Try a different username. If you can't find one that works, look up 'adb' & 'logcat' in the forums and online and look for lines with "pppd" in your logcat.

STEP 2: Copy /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and /etc/ppp/options.smd1 into /init.etc/ppp
You may have to do this "as root" in a terminal or console after typing "su" (hint; the "cp" command copies... "cp /etc/ppp/options.smd1 /init.etc/ppp" would work for the first file... same step for pap-secrets)

STEP 2 should allow those files to be created on boot. So once you have found the right settings, and managed to copy them into /init.etc/ppp you should be good to go from then on. Please reboot and confirm this for me since I am not on USCC and cannot test anything I suggest.

NOTE: /init.etc/ppp/pap-secrets and /init.etc/ppp/options.smd1 may not have the permissions necessary for you to be able to overwrite them. This is why you might have to go into a shell and type "su" and "chmod a+rw /init.etc/ppp/pap-secrets" and "chmod a+rw /init.etc/options.smd1" before you can copy over them, especially if you are using a GUI file explorer to copy, and not running everything as root (after "su") in the terminal shell.

GOOD LUCK! And don't forget to thank my posts if you found them helpful

PS: /init.etc is "persistent" UNTIL YOU CHANGE YOUR ROOTFS. If you do, you will have to repeat these steps. So it is probably a good idea to keep a backup copy of your working pap-secrets and options.smd1 until this issue is fixed in the latest rootfs, so that in case it is not, you can overwrite the /init.etc files again easily. Hopefully a new rootfs will fix this problem altogether, but current reports are inconsistent that the RIL changes do.

Last edited by eval-; 03-22-2010 at 05:58 PM.
This post has been thanked 5 times.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:31 PM
V.I.P
Pocket PC: 3VO for me, EVO for wife
Carrier: on the Now Network™ from Sprint®

00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by eval- View Post
phh has reminded me i am still an idiot and should've noticed /init.etc (which is persistent)
so, hopefully this is the end:

STEP 1: find the right username@uscc.net for /etc/ppp/pap-secrets & options.smd1

Play around until you find your username. Usually it is your phone number, sometimes it can be your ESN or MEID number. Edit these files after dialing ##778 and pressing "View." If dude420420 is right, this should give you your account username. You might have to call USCC to find out.

pap-secrets needs to look like:
Code:
username@uscc.net * username
options.smd1 needs to have:
Code:
user username@uscc.net
as the last line. (leave all the others)

After changing these files, try Airplane On / Airplane Off to test. If it works, move to Step 2. If it doesn't, try to figure out why. Try a different username. If you can't find one that works, look up 'adb' & 'logcat' in the forums and online and look for lines with "pppd" in your logcat.

STEP 2: Copy /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and /etc/ppp/options.smd1 into /init.etc/ppp
You may have to do this "as root" in a terminal or console after typing "su" (hint; the "cp" command copies... "cp /etc/ppp/options.smd1 /init.etc/ppp" would work for the first file... same step for pap-secrets)

STEP 2 should allow those files to be created on boot. So once you have found the right settings, and managed to copy them into /init.etc/ppp you should be good to go from then on. Please reboot and confirm this for me since I am not on USCC and cannot test anything I suggest.

NOTE: /init.etc/ppp/pap-secrets and /init.etc/ppp/options.smd1 may not have the permissions necessary for you to be able to overwrite them. This is why you might have to go into a shell and type "su" and "chmod a+rw /init.etc/ppp/pap-secrets" and "chmod a+rw /init.etc/options.smd1" before you can copy over them, especially if you are using a GUI file explorer to copy, and not running everything as root (after "su") in the terminal shell.

GOOD LUCK! And don't forget to thank my posts if you found them helpful

PS: /init.etc is "persistent" UNTIL YOU CHANGE YOUR ROOTFS. If you do, you will have to repeat these steps. So it is probably a good idea to keep a backup copy of your working pap-secrets and options.smd1 until this issue is fixed in the latest rootfs, so that in case it is not, you can overwrite the /init.etc files again easily. Hopefully a new rootfs will fix this problem altogether, but current reports are inconsistent that the RIL changes do.
Appreciate your help over here man. Thanks given.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:46 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 (Stock) / TP (MightyRom)
Carrier: US Cellular

bytethegroove is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to bytethegroove Send a message via MSN to bytethegroove Send a message via Yahoo to bytethegroove

Yes eval....
data works everytime I reboot now
You the man and have been thanked....

Old 03-22-2010, 09:44 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

metaltech is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytethegroove View Post
Yes eval....
data works everytime I reboot now
You the man and have been thanked....
What are you using for username and pass? Esn? Msid? I live in New Lenox(suburb of chicago)and cant get my data working for the life of me.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:49 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC 6900

Popasmurf is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaltech View Post
What are you using for username and pass? Esn? Msid? I live in New Lenox(suburb of chicago)and cant get my data working for the life of me.
Make sure to check your MSID info. Mine was NOT my phone number, nor was it my ESN.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:18 PM
Lurker

metaltech is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popasmurf View Post
Make sure to check your MSID info. Mine was NOT my phone number, nor was it my ESN.
Did a ##778 and a ##000000 and both times MSID was my phone number. Just for the hell of it tried ESN...no go. Guess i"ll try meid but seriously doubt that will work.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch pro 2
Carrier: uscc
Threadstarter

dfgas is just getting started

did it exactly how eval said and it worked perfect. i used my whole phone number for the username and it worked...
Will thank as soon as i post this to both eval and clifftrue. YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!

now to just get ringer and charging working i am a happy guy, charging over ringer
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:45 PM
Lurker

metaltech is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfgas View Post
did it exactly how eval said and it worked perfect. i used my whole phone number for the username and it worked...

now to just get ringer and charging working i am a happy guy, charging over ringer
What do you mean by whole phone number?
Old 03-22-2010, 10:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

eval- is keeping up the good workeval- is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfgas View Post

Hey if you don't mind editing your first thread post to link to my post & clifftrue's post that'd be cool b/c I think only the full thread (not the individual post) is being linked in the TP2 FAQ. thnx!
This post has been thanked 2 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2

Tags
uscc data 3g cdma