PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Android On TP2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Android, it's alive!.. (2.0.1) - Updated 12/24 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=102603)

quid246 12-22-2009 02:59 AM

Re: Android, it's alive!.. (2.0.1) - Updated 12/21

An Android phone with a great QWERTY keyboard.... if this gets fully developed, it'll definitely blow the Droid out of the water with it's lame keyboard.

bkrodgers 12-22-2009 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimP (Post 1430573)
Just curious. What are the main differences between Android and say Windows Mobile 6.5?

uh...what's the difference between apples and oranges?

Seriously, they're just different things. That's a tough question to answer.

InsomniacJedi 12-22-2009 03:06 AM

You know what I am really looking forward to with this?

That augmented reality app. Sure it is coming out for WM, but nobody knows when.

BlackDynamite 12-22-2009 03:08 AM

I'd like to see Android working on this too just so I can try it out on a phone with an awesome keyboard. That's the main thing holding me back from Android right now- I need a good keyboard.

So for all you Android users- what would a person use to keep all of their contact, calendar, tasks, etc? I used to use PIM Backup, and now I use MyPhone. I'm pretty sure neither one works on Android. So how would you change without losing all your info?

JimP 12-22-2009 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkrodgers (Post 1430579)
uh...what's the difference between apples and oranges?

Seriously, they're just different things. That's a tough question to answer.

My concern about Android is that its not been around long enough to have all the bugs out of it and their Marketplace sucks only slightly less than windows mobile marketplace.

Is Android modifiable the same way that WM? A nice surprise for me was how much can be done with WM.

dallastx 12-22-2009 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimP (Post 1430586)
My concern about Android is that its not been around long enough to have all the bugs out of it and their Marketplace sucks only slightly less than windows mobile marketplace.

Is Android modifiable the same way that WM? A nice surprise for me was how much can be done with WM.

Um there marketplace is was better then WM. Every new app is for android and Iphone. Devs are slowly moving away from WM format. I say slowly but that's a understatement. TO repeat myself every new app that goes to iphone is developed for android as well. No Windows Mobile love anymore.

aznmode 12-22-2009 04:56 AM

I tried unzipping it to a 1gb card and ran it but it won't boot all the way. I get stuck and says
Failed to mount the SD card, Cannot continue
/bin/sh; can't access tty; job control turned off

oop it looks like it progressed a little bit more
How long does this thing take to load? Stuck again.

klynch1969 12-22-2009 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dallastx (Post 1430590)
Um there marketplace is was better then WM. Every new app is for android and Iphone. Devs are slowly moving away from WM format. I say slowly but that's a understatement. TO repeat myself every new app that goes to iphone is developed for android as well. No Windows Mobile love anymore.

I agree. WM is on it's way out. I see in the next two years that WM apps will have slowed to Microsoft releases only.

JimP 12-22-2009 07:26 AM

Then let me ask the part "A". Just how stable is Android?

isdnmatt 12-22-2009 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaltyDawg (Post 1430583)
I'd like to see Android working on this too just so I can try it out on a phone with an awesome keyboard. That's the main thing holding me back from Android right now- I need a good keyboard.

So for all you Android users- what would a person use to keep all of their contact, calendar, tasks, etc? I used to use PIM Backup, and now I use MyPhone. I'm pretty sure neither one works on Android. So how would you change without losing all your info?

Sync to your google account with activesync then log in with the same account on Android. Done. Did this for my girl.

Mr. X 12-22-2009 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimP (Post 1430573)
Just curious. What are the main differences between Android and say Windows Mobile 6.5?

Hate to say it, but think of anything Win-Mo can do and android can do it better. Ive been playing with it flashed on my vogue and the app store is to die for.

eman 12-22-2009 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juggalo_X (Post 1430874)
Hate to say it, but think of anything Win-Mo can do and android can do it better. Ive been playing with it flashed on my vogue and the app store is to die for.

I still own a vogue that is tucked away in my closet. Can you flash an Adroid Rom to it or do you run it off of the storage card? Got a link for the best place for me to get it???

Young_breedent 12-22-2009 12:29 PM

cant get the new 2.0.1 to boot that was posted last night....do i need to change something or just post it on my card and run haret????

slopokdave 12-22-2009 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Young_breedent (Post 1431087)
cant get the new 2.0.1 to boot that was posted last night....do i need to change something or just post it on my card and run haret????

Make sure you are extracting to the root of your card. Give it a good 3-5 minutes.

Young_breedent 12-22-2009 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slopokdave (Post 1431101)
Make sure you are extracting to the root of your card. Give it a good 3-5 minutes.

i never put the files in the root of my sd..... i always create a folder on the root and place the files in there and run haret. I just use this same method with the 2.0.1 build of android that was posted a few days ago before this updated version was posted and it worked just fine

Young_breedent 12-22-2009 12:50 PM

okay i had the folder named android2 and switched it to android and got it to boot but now the nexus splash screen just keeps playing over

edit: i touch the nexus logo and it took me to the setup screen, finally got it working

elephant007 12-22-2009 12:56 PM

I wonder if we can get someone running android and do a calibration on their device mirrored and if we can import that calibration file and it will make our touch screens correct

EGOvoruhk 12-22-2009 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elephant007 (Post 1431151)
I wonder if we can get someone running android and do a calibration on their device mirrored and if we can import that calibration file and it will make our touch screens correct

The calibration is fine now, download the new version

elephant007 12-22-2009 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EGOvoruhk (Post 1431154)

dang I'm late with my idea! HA HA
I did download the new one, going to mess around with it later today

Young_breedent 12-22-2009 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EGOvoruhk (Post 1431154)

seems to be coming along nice, it sucks that whenever i open something i have to restart the phone because i can't exit out of the program. Is there a way to exit out of programs yet???

slopokdave 12-22-2009 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Young_breedent (Post 1431111)
i never put the files in the root of my sd..... i always create a folder on the root and place the files in there and run haret. I just use this same method with the 2.0.1 build of android that was posted a few days ago before this updated version was posted and it worked just fine

It didnt work for me when I created a sub directory; then did work when I moved it to the root.

Just sayin... YMMV

mswlogo 12-22-2009 01:09 PM

I wonder if it will run a lot quicker if someone puts it in as an application in the kitchen of a WM Custom ROM. The SD Cards are pretty slow.

electronicrice 12-22-2009 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Young_breedent (Post 1431164)
seems to be coming along nice, it sucks that whenever i open something i have to restart the phone because i can't exit out of the program. Is there a way to exit out of programs yet???

Volumn down acts as the back button for some reason.

electronicrice 12-22-2009 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juggalo_X (Post 1430874)

Have to completely agree with this. Really diggin android. Might go buy a Vouge just to have that flashed over haha

phantom92 12-22-2009 01:14 PM

i know this will be the dumbes questions ever but....
do we just run the program (after we unzip it) from our phone?
and will we be able to go back to windows mobile?
does our phone have to be flashed to run this?

Young_breedent 12-22-2009 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slopokdave (Post 1431168)
It didnt work for me when I created a sub directory; then did work when I moved it to the root.

Just sayin... YMMV

well thanks for the help.....i just hate putting files like that on the root of the memory card because i try and keep it organized and if i forget what one of those files are i would be nervous to delete it lol. But now you know that you can create a folder called android on the root and run it from there :)

Young_breedent 12-22-2009 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electronicrice (Post 1431179)
Volumn down acts as the back button for some reason.

nice didn't know that

Young_breedent 12-22-2009 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electronicrice (Post 1431181)
Have to completely agree with this. Really diggin android. Might go buy a Vouge just to have that flashed over haha

don't know if i agree with that fully. Android is nice but they just copied microsoft and is being praised for it. I do agree however that android got alot of stuff right the first time. Only time will tell, and if microsoft ****s up with windows mobile 7, i will be saying hello to the android world

ShadowDrake 12-22-2009 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Young_breedent (Post 1431134)
okay i had the folder named android2 and switched it to android and got it to boot but now the nexus splash screen just keeps playing over

edit: i touch the nexus logo and it took me to the setup screen, finally got it working

Yeah, should be good to go after that, first boot takes a loooong time.

Is it just me, or is it still useless? No working radio, no working hardware keys (short of the power button). So if you open an app you need to restart the phone to get out of it. By the way everyone else is talking about it I really feel like I'm missing something here...

Noir 12-22-2009 01:44 PM

do not use haptic feedback freezes touch screen input in android
otherwise its a good build

elephant007 12-22-2009 01:57 PM

I was playing around with this and actually received a call while messing around with it, I was unable to answer the phone though, I tried to place a call and I couldn't hear anything... still exciting though... actually seeing the phone with an incoming call!

Mr. X 12-22-2009 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eman (Post 1430944)
I still own a vogue that is tucked away in my closet. Can you flash an Adroid Rom to it or do you run it off of the storage card? Got a link for the best place for me to get it???

go over to XDA flashing a vogue android rom is in your face

richardrk 12-22-2009 02:47 PM

If you Open up the launcher... Go to the App called "Spare Parts". There you can change the "End Button" our "Power Button" once tapped, to go back to the Home screen.

Deimoss 12-22-2009 02:53 PM

Oh man i just made an outgoing call on the Android build and had it connect for 30 seconds then i hung it up with the end key.

Funny thing is, they called me back! on android

Only problem is there's no voice communication but this is looking very awesome

electronicrice 12-22-2009 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richardrk (Post 1431348)
If you Open up the launcher... Go to the App called "Spare Parts". There you can change the "End Button" our "Power Button" once tapped, to go back to the Home screen.

Awesome, thanks so much for that tidbit. Off to change my buttons! lol

Edit - Hmmm still not working. Changed to default to Home but still doesn't do anything

Edit2 - Looks like it affects the Power button for sprint phones, which is still better than having to use volume down I guess

richardrk 12-22-2009 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electronicrice (Post 1431369)
Awesome, thanks so much for that tidbit. Off to change my buttons! lol

Edit - Hmmm still not working. Changed to default to Home but still doesn't do anything

Edit2 - Looks like it affects the Power button for sprint phones, which is still better than having to use volume down I guess

Yes I forgot to mention I was on Sprint. So I dont know how it will affect Verizon and others.

Also does the touch screen go out on anybodys phone when you let it sit for like a minute? Mine does, and it locks itself so i cant unlock it.

whetzel 12-22-2009 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richardrk (Post 1431431)
Yes I forgot to mention I was on Sprint. So I dont know how it will affect Verizon and others.

Also does the touch screen go out on anybodys phone when you let it sit for like a minute? Mine does, and it locks itself so i cant unlock it.

I don't know if it's the same for the Sprint version, but when I was playing with it I noticed that the screen wasn't responding to my touch when I was trying to unlock it either, but then I figured out that if you press the top button (power for the Sprint version, back light off for Verizon) it unlocks the screen and you're able to use the screen again.

electronicrice 12-22-2009 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whetzel (Post 1431439)
I don't know if it's the same for the Sprint version, but when I was playing with it I noticed that the screen wasn't responding to my touch when I was trying to unlock it either, but then I figured out that if you press the top button (power for the Sprint version, back light off for Verizon) it unlocks the screen and you're able to use the screen again.

Yeah basically it's trying to turn off the screen but can't, so you have to "turn it back on" to enable touch on the screen again. We have a long way to go but I'm still pretty pumped given how fast this is already.

Now to just implement Sense UI, lol

whetzel 12-22-2009 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electronicrice (Post 1431461)
Yeah basically it's trying to turn off the screen but can't, so you have to "turn it back on" to enable touch on the screen again. We have a long way to go but I'm still pretty pumped given how fast this is already.

Now to just implement Sense UI, lol

Yeah. You have to press it again.

It almost acts like a screen lock on my Verizon version.

Press in once and the screen doesn't respond, but if you press it again it works fine.

I definitely need to play around with the button mapping.

Edit: and if I press and hold down on the top button I get a screen with ringer profiles and an option to turn the phone off. It never actually turns off for me though. It starts to, but then it just hangs.

Young_breedent 12-22-2009 03:52 PM

this is coming along alot faster then the android port to the original touch pro. I bet that bounty has alot to do with it lol. I will gladly donate to this effort and i have a good feeling about this. I think we will have a full android port early 2010. Keep up the good work guys, and girls :)