PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2 > Android On TP2 Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 02:10 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [BUILD] **Complete FroYo Bundle** FRX07.1 - Maintenance Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecensor View Post
Yes, it's a Sprint phone activated under Boost. It also says Rhod400 on the sticker inside.
How did you reformat the card? Have you tried a different SD card? I haven't heard of this before. Even the RHOD100 folk, the camera would not work - but it wouldn't cause a kernel panic/reboot.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TOUCH PRO 2
Carrier: BOOST

thecensor is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
How did you reformat the card? Have you tried a different SD card? I haven't heard of this before. Even the RHOD100 folk, the camera would not work - but it wouldn't cause a kernel panic/reboot.
I used the HP tool to format. Haven't tried a different card. My card is a Sandisk Mobil Ultra class 6 16Gb.

Also, I don't know if it's related, but when I do a power off on the FRX, it reboots insated of shutting down. that doesn't happen on the winmo.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:41 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Threadstarter

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
I used the HP tool to format. Haven't tried a different card. My card is a Sandisk Mobil Ultra class 6 16Gb.

Also, I don't know if it's related, but when I do a power off on the FRX, it reboots insated of shutting down. that doesn't happen on the winmo.
Yes, sometimes Android doesn't shut down properly. It's running an entire OS off of the SD card - WinMo isn't doing that. NAND works properly for this...

Try a different SD card. Some of the faster/newer SD card's don't play nice with Android for whatever reason. Probably more the phone than Android, but hey - the hardware in this phone predates Android at all, so it's impressive we can run it at all.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

thecensor is a n00b

Quote:
Yes, sometimes Android doesn't shut down properly. It's running an entire OS off of the SD card - WinMo isn't doing that. NAND works properly for this...

Try a different SD card. Some of the faster/newer SD card's don't play nice with Android for whatever reason. Probably more the phone than Android, but hey - the hardware in this phone predates Android at all, so it's impressive we can run it at all.
What is NAND and which SD card do you recommend?
Old 03-14-2012, 05:04 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Threadstarter

Quote:
NAND is really a misnomer for 'replacing WinMo'. Basically flashing Android to the device.

Not for the feint of heart, but when you get sick of Android on your SD card, it really is great.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/android-tp...b-1-2-3-a.html

For SD cards, anything class4 or less seems better for whatever reason. The higher class cards are very finnicky - not sure if it's the card or our devices, I'm leaning towards the latter.

As for speed, you'd want something with great random read/write performance. Sandisk consistently perform well at this, so I would recommend one of their cards. Some of the 'classless' (before there were SD classifications) Sandisk cards ironically have some of the best random r/w perf. The stats listed on the cards are sequential r/w, which is not really what OSes do a lot... they do a lot of little reads/writes!
Old 03-15-2012, 04:33 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

wizardknight is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Here is a good thread with links out to more info about SD cards.
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/android-tp...rformance.html
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:27 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

thecensor is a n00b

Quote:
NAND is really a misnomer for 'replacing WinMo'. Basically flashing Android to the device.

Not for the feint of heart, but when you get sick of Android on your SD card, it really is great.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/android-tp...b-1-2-3-a.html

For SD cards, anything class4 or less seems better for whatever reason. The higher class cards are very finnicky - not sure if it's the card or our devices, I'm leaning towards the latter.

As for speed, you'd want something with great random read/write performance. Sandisk consistently perform well at this, so I would recommend one of their cards. Some of the 'classless' (before there were SD classifications) Sandisk cards ironically have some of the best random r/w perf. The stats listed on the cards are sequential r/w, which is not really what OSes do a lot... they do a lot of little reads/writes!

Thanks for you help. Here's the latest:

I bought 2 sandisks (2gb and 4gb class 2) from reputable Amazon marketplace sellers ( Media-Mart and Straight Trading, Inc.)

Then installed FRX on the first one:

power on the phone was more than 70% charched.

Connected the phone with the card to the computer as a disk drive
I did a slow FAT32 format with the HP tool

copied the frx07.1 files (using tera copy which checks the CRC to make sure everything copied correctly) I put the correct start up on the root directory (RHOD400) and the also calibrate.ts file.

Everythig went went ok, got the flying green droids, then the Froyo desktop, but with a alert saying:
"sorry the procees com android. phone has stopped unexpectedly. please try again. Force close"

I click the 'force close' then did a shut down (which actually shut down, not rebooted), waited a minute, restarted, click 'Android' on GenY, it booted
but got stuck with the last line saying:

"2.67827] allocated dma buffer at ffc0b000, dma_addr 24 26e000"

for maybe 20 mintues then the screen went completely blank and could only be revived by reinserting the battery.

Third boot, went fine, but the when activating the camera it rebooted the phone like before.

Next I tried the second card. The first boot didn't get stuck, but I did get the 'force close' message and the camera still caused a reboot.

I tried GBX, but that was a complete failure, the screen would hardy respond.

Maybe I'll try NAND next just to see how it does albeit it's missing features that I want.

Any suggest would be appreciated.

Danny

Last edited by thecensor; 03-20-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:17 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro 2 WM+XDA
Carrier: Boost

Sc/ant864 is keeping up the good workSc/ant864 is keeping up the good workSc/ant864 is keeping up the good work
Quote:
Thanks for you help. Here's the latest:

I bought 2 sandisks (2gb and 4gb class 2) from reputable Amazon marketplace sellers ( Media-Mart and Straight Trading, Inc.)

Then installed FRX on the first one:

power on the phone was more than 70% charched.

Connected the phone with the card to the computer as a disk drive
I did a slow FAT32 format with the HP tool

copied the frx07.1 files (using tera copy which checks the CRC to make sure everything copied correctly) I put the correct start up on the root directory (RHOD400) and the also calibrate.ts file.

Everythig went went ok, got the flying green droids, then the Froyo desktop, but with a alert saying:
"sorry the procees com android. phone has stopped unexpectedly. please try again. Force close"

I click the 'force close' then did a shut down (which actually shut down, not rebooted), waited a minute, restarted, click 'Android' on GenY, it booted
but got stuck with the last line saying:

"2.67827] allocated dma buffer at ffc0b000, dma_addr 24 26e000"

for maybe 20 mintues then the screen went completely blank and could only be revived by reinserting the battery.

Third boot, went fine, but the when activating the camera it rebooted the phone like before.

Next I tried the second card. The first boot didn't get stuck, but I did get the 'force close' message and the camera still caused a reboot.

I tried GBX, but that was a complete failure, the screen would hardy respond.

Maybe I'll try NAND next just to see how it does albeit it's missing features that I want.

Any suggest would be appreciated.

Danny
In FRX did you update? In GBX did you copy CSV files from WM?

Sent from my ppcT7380 Ti/GBX0B via PPCG app

GBX0C buttery goodness with 3.3.8 kernel sprinkled on top.
Looking for another cool mobile forum? Don't join Howard Forums because they sick a duck.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

thecensor is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc/ant864 View Post
In FRX did you update? In GBX did you copy CSV files from WM?

Sent from my ppcT7380 Ti/GBX0B via PPCG app
I didn't update FRX because I used the latest version, Is there a way to verify I'm using the latest without going thought the update? I did copy the CSVs to GBX

I also installed the older version of GBX (GBX0A_Full_Bundle_11.3.2011.zip) and that also has the same problem with the camera!

I just reinstalled the latest GBX (GBX0B_Full_Bundle_2011.12.30) I copied the csv files and this time it works good except for the camera which reboots the phone.

Last edited by thecensor; 03-20-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:49 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Threadstarter

Quote:
I didn't update FRX because I used the latest version, Is there a way to verify I'm using the latest without going thought the update? I did copy the CSVs to GBX

I also installed the older version of GBX (GBX0A_Full_Bundle_11.3.2011.zip) and that also has the same problem with the camera!

I just reinstalled the latest GBX (GBX0B_Full_Bundle_2011.12.30) I copied the csv files and this time it works good except for the camera which reboots the phone.
Logs/getprop will verify what version you're on.

GBX0A is ancient, over a year old. FRX should work fine, perhaps you've done something with your camera? I don't know. I don't think I've seen any logs from your reboots after using cam however.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2 > Android On TP2 Development