PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 02:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Axim x51v and TouchPro 2 now Arrive
Carrier: Sprint

JohnMcD348 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Where does WinMo6.5 save cabs when DL'd on TP2

So, when I download a .CAB file from places like Marketplace, PocketNow, OMarket, et. al, I see the download and run the install and get teh program but I can never find the actual CAB file to delet or move after installing the program. I feel like it is taking up morre storage space than I really want and am suffering from poor performance on my phone. My storage and Program memory are at near half 64/47megs and would like to clear out some of this stuff. I try to install most programs onto my SD card but I think there's still an awful lot making it's way onto the actual phone memory.

How can I search and clear thsi stuff out?

Thanks

John
Old 09-27-2010, 10:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Intrepid

Tmair is just getting started
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Re: Where does WinMo6.5 save cabs when DL'd on TP2

I believe my intrepid saves them to My Documents, it's been a wile but it seams like that is where I found them so I could move them to the card.
Terry
Old 09-27-2010, 11:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC One M8
Carrier: Verizon

Relic is keeping up the good workRelic is keeping up the good workRelic is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Relic Send a message via MSN to Relic Send a message via Yahoo to Relic Send a message via Skype™ to Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMcD348 View Post
So, when I download a .CAB file from places like Marketplace, PocketNow, OMarket, et. al, I see the download and run the install and get teh program but I can never find the actual CAB file to delet or move after installing the program. I feel like it is taking up morre storage space than I really want and am suffering from poor performance on my phone. My storage and Program memory are at near half 64/47megs and would like to clear out some of this stuff. I try to install most programs onto my SD card but I think there's still an awful lot making it's way onto the actual phone memory.

How can I search and clear thsi stuff out?

Thanks

John
John you have no worries, with Market Place and Omarket, it automatically deletes the file after installation.

MarketPlace Temporary caches their cabs to My Documents as Tmair said.

Omarket caches their cabs to \Program Files\OpnMarket\Cache
note: you'd only see the "cache" folder in \Program Files\OpnMarket\
when the program is running.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:00 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

OK, new problem. When I try to use the file explorer it seems to freeze up the unit. I get the spinning windows RGBY balls. It never actually pulls up the files to look at. It starts up but the top directory shows Windows but never actually pulls up the files under that directory. Any idea what I need to do or is there a work around to get through this? Any Freeware explorers that someone can recommend to use instead of the OEM program?
Old 09-28-2010, 04:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC One M8
Carrier: Verizon

Relic is keeping up the good workRelic is keeping up the good workRelic is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Relic Send a message via MSN to Relic Send a message via Yahoo to Relic Send a message via Skype™ to Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMcD348 View Post
OK, new problem. When I try to use the file explorer it seems to freeze up the unit. I get the spinning windows RGBY balls. It never actually pulls up the files to look at. It starts up but the top directory shows Windows but never actually pulls up the files under that directory. Any idea what I need to do or is there a work around to get through this? Any Freeware explorers that someone can recommend to use instead of the OEM program?
Ok that is normal for all windows mobile users, when the File explorer is veiwing the Windows Dir it'll take a long while to load (because of the 1000+ files in it), it looks as though your device froze up. So all you can do is wait till it finishes loading (so try to keep your device awake-don't let it sleep while it loads) than navigate to a different directory. And it doesn't matter if you use a 3rd party explorer it'll do the same thing. As for me I avoid navigating to the Windows Dir.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:24 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Thanks You. I let it run and it took about 10 minutes to load. Wow! I don't remember having this problem with my x51v Axim's. I think if I didn't have to rely on a couple of particular WinMo programs, I'd be using a Droid by now. I can't say I'm overly impressed with my TP2.

Thank You all so much for your help.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software