PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Hacks/Tweaks

Notices



Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2008, 10:36 PM
unre4l's Avatar
Lurker
Offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1
Reputation: 0
unre4l is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
wipe phone remotely

Does anyone know which registry key to delete/modify in order to prevent an exchange admin from wiping your phone remotely to factory defaults. I just found out that if you sync to an exchange server and if that server has some policy pushed down to your phone then they can wipe your phone, SD card and such. I have a personal phone that I sunc with our coporate exchange server but i sure dont want them to be able to wipe it.
Any help is appreciated. Thx.
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-11-2008, 08:23 PM
tscalzott's Avatar
Lurker
Offline
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 21
Reputation: 0
tscalzott is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: wipe phone remotely

I don't believe that one exists. But you can talk to your corporate IT department, remind them that it is a personal phone, and ask them to configure the policy to exclude your device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unre4l View Post
Does anyone know which registry key to delete/modify in order to prevent an exchange admin from wiping your phone remotely to factory defaults. I just found out that if you sync to an exchange server and if that server has some policy pushed down to your phone then they can wipe your phone, SD card and such. I have a personal phone that I sunc with our coporate exchange server but i sure dont want them to be able to wipe it.
Any help is appreciated. Thx.
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-12-2008, 03:03 AM
jeffH70's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: EVO 3D/Touch Pro 2/Touch Pro/Treo 700wx
Carrier: Sprint
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 223
Reputation: 55
jeffH70 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: wipe phone remotely

Quote:
Originally Posted by unre4l View Post
Does anyone know which registry key to delete/modify in order to prevent an exchange admin from wiping your phone remotely to factory defaults. I just found out that if you sync to an exchange server and if that server has some policy pushed down to your phone then they can wipe your phone, SD card and such. I have a personal phone that I sunc with our coporate exchange server but i sure dont want them to be able to wipe it.
Any help is appreciated. Thx.
My company used this MS crap a year ago. In addition to the wipe, they enforced the complex password and mandatory 15 minutes lockout. Needless to say I was quite pissed and really motivated to get rid of them in 30 minutes. They added a bunch of keys and some of them were very obvious like wipe counter etc.

You need to goto HKLM\Comm\Security (everything should be there and its the subdirectories)

1. they might install two new keys there in addition to the default and got rid of them.

2. LASSD\AE\{50C...} Make sure both AExxx keyes are zero.

3. LASSD\LAP\..

4. There are duplicated in Policy folder as well.

I did not remember the extract keys to delete and modify since it was a while ago and most of the keys are new stuff and not on my system any more. But if you can export HKLM\Comm\Security\LASSD and Policy folders, I can point out the junk to modify or delete.

The good news is all the craps are in those two places with one set each....

If you have not setup the exchange yet, just backup your registry and dump to text file using SPB Backup and cleanup accordingly since you knew the place now. It's not hard at all... Good luck!

Jeff

Last edited by jeffH70; 03-12-2008 at 03:09 AM.
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-12-2008, 03:12 AM
jeffH70's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: EVO 3D/Touch Pro 2/Touch Pro/Treo 700wx
Carrier: Sprint
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 223
Reputation: 55
jeffH70 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: wipe phone remotely

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscalzott View Post
I don't believe that one exists. But you can talk to your corporate IT department, remind them that it is a personal phone, and ask them to configure the policy to exclude your device.
It is absolutely real and most large corporate will do that to secure the email system as an excuse. The worse is that they also go overboard with complex password with a short lockout. Talk about not being able to answer your phone while you driving or as a matter of fact not being able to answer the phone at all if you can not type password fast enough...
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-12-2008, 08:27 AM
tscalzott's Avatar
Lurker
Offline
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 21
Reputation: 0
tscalzott is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: wipe phone remotely

I was saying that I did not think there was an easy way to remove the policy, not that such a policy exists.

Your IT department enforces the policies for a reason. It's their data on the device, not yours. If you lose your device and have removed their policies, you put the company at an increased risk.

BTW, the phone can always be answered when it is prompting for a PIN. You need not enter it first. Just as you don't need to enter the PIN to dial 911.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffH70 View Post
It is absolutely real and most large corporate will do that to secure the email system as an excuse. The worse is that they also go overboard with complex password with a short lockout. Talk about not being able to answer your phone while you driving or as a matter of fact not being able to answer the phone at all if you can not type password fast enough...
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-12-2008, 07:25 PM
jeffH70's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: EVO 3D/Touch Pro 2/Touch Pro/Treo 700wx
Carrier: Sprint
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 223
Reputation: 55
jeffH70 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: wipe phone remotely

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscalzott View Post

BTW, the phone can always be answered when it is prompting for a PIN. You need not enter it first. Just as you don't need to enter the PIN to dial 911.
I do not think you get it. It is NOT a pin, if you read carefully... It is a mandatory complex password, minimum 8 characters long, with upper case and number! How in the world you can do that with one handed, even consider with one hand operation friendly Palm Treo included when you need to simply answer the darn phone....
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-14-2008, 09:23 AM
tscalzott's Avatar
Lurker
Offline
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 21
Reputation: 0
tscalzott is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: wipe phone remotely

I get it fine. It's called a PIN either way in the Exchange Server configuration. And you can just hit the phone button on your Treo to answer an incoming call without entering the PIN/Password/Whatever you wish to call it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffH70 View Post
I do not think you get it. It is NOT a pin, if you read carefully... It is a mandatory complex password, minimum 8 characters long, with upper case and number! How in the world you can do that with one handed, even consider with one hand operation friendly Palm Treo included when you need to simply answer the darn phone....
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-14-2008, 10:46 AM
psiphi's Avatar
Halfway to VIP Status
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint PCS
Location: DC
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 718
Reputation: 523
psiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: wipe phone remotely

The only sure fire answer I can think of is full backups of the phone each night, and syncing the backups to a PC... I can't really blame them for their policies... You may have to consider a 2nd phone...
__________________
Psi Phi:]\/[aster 5ys0p of ]\/[@9!]<
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 11-21-2008, 09:33 PM
wrecks's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: I730/Treo700wx-800/HTCTP
Carrier: Sprint
Location: Honolulu
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 114
Reputation: 80
wrecks is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: wipe phone remotely

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscalzott View Post
I don't believe that one exists. But you can talk to your corporate IT department, remind them that it is a personal phone, and ask them to configure the policy to exclude your device.
ExchangePolicy Disabler
http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/t...e-devices.aspx

Or you can try this, but is specifically programmed so your device won't lock.
http://mobilitytoday.com/forum/showp...&postcount=124


I really don't care if my company has remote wipe capabilities. It's not like they are going to wipe your device on purpose. It may come in handy when you loose your device.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ExchangePolicyPatch.zip (16.3 KB, 22 views) Click for barcode!
Closed Thread

  PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Hacks/Tweaks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
©2012 - PPCGeeks.com