PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan > Titan Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 04:28 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

duffman33 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New ROM for Sprint Mogul

Hi. I have had my Mogul for about 2 years now and because of recent problems I have had with it, I have decided to try and flash a new rom. Being a noob at this, I was just looking for any helpful advice or comments on which roms would be the best for as well as any links since after looking through this forum for 30 minutes realize there are 3 million different roms available. A little information about my needs, speed would be nice but not necessarily the most important thing. I primarily need good gps function, as well as bluetooth. I have the Sync system in my car, so anything that has reliable bluetooth would be nice. I know this may be dreaming, but if there's any thing that would add in-band ringtones or the text messaging function to my bluetooth, I would love it. I tried jetware and while it did add in-band ringtones, it still did not add text message functions. Anyway, any and all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

thecheet is keeping up the good workthecheet is keeping up the good work
Re: New ROM for Sprint Mogul

First you have to unlock your phone:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=33857

After you unlock you can either load a rom using Sync or SD Card. PM me if you aren't sure how to.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:14 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

duffman33 is a n00b

Thanks. Now I just need to know which rom to use, any suggestions?
Old 07-10-2009, 03:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

It's more of a test and see thing. Just upload them, use them for a couple of days and see what you think. I personally use one from XDA by ryanmogul. It's all about personal preference.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC PPC6800 - Alltel
Carrier: Alltel

btonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on rep

My personal preference is to start with a fairly clean ROM without too much extra stuff pre-installed. You have more flexibility with this option, and I'll explain why.

Chefs use "OEMs" to pre-load programs onto our ROMs. The upside of this is it makes a ROM work better right off the bat with more functionality. The downside is that you as a user cannot uninstall or upgrade those with a newer version. You also cannot easily fix errors/conflicts that these may cause with your other programs.

Users load programs using either a "cab" or a simple "exe" file. when a user loads a program, you have all the flexibility in the world with it to modify, adjust, uninstall or upgrade it, which is a huge plus. You can also switch from chef to chef with your collection of cabs, because you will be relying less on the programs that the chef uses, and more on your own selections. The downside is that it takes a little more time upfront for the user, because you need to find the cabs in the first place to build your collection, and then install them with each new flash.

As for which ROM to use specifically, that's personal preference. Bbsandkm is an amazing chef here on PPCGeeks. Mattsm and I and a few others release our ROMs as well (and we're all proud of our product). TPlane37 and RyanMogul on XDA are both great. If you want an extremely amazing Windows 6.1 ROM, you can also use the last ROMs DCD produced before he stopped releasing publicly for our phones.

You can also cook your own ROMs using the PPCKitchen or JDume's Visual Kitchen, but those may be tricky and not produce the results you were hoping for.

So there are a ton of options, and it's personal preference. You don't have to stick with just one, either. Try a few over the course of a month or so. You'll get addicted to flashing.

I would also recommend looking into the combo of SASHIMI and PIMBackUp as a way to easily configure your phone after flashing. It'll save you hours of time.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:50 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

duffman33 is a n00b

Thank you so much. I suppose its just a little overwhelming since theres so much out there, and I generally know enough about computers. Well, enough to code them. In any case, I suppose then my ultimate question is, where would be a good place to start? Just looking for stable, reliable bluetooth and gps, nothing too fancy... If someone could point me in a good direction to start, at least I understand roms much better now.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=496982 RyanMogul Roms

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=72489 Mattsm Roms
Old 07-10-2009, 09:25 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: the one that slides open
Carrier: Douchebags

bobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuff

I think I got my mogul like a year and half ago, there wasn't any GPS provided by sprint. So I hopped on here and followed instructions untill I had GPS, I used that same setup for a year. Well the phone finally started acting up and I decided that I was gonna flash a new rom.

I spent all kinds of hours reading and trying all sorts of stuff, "cooking" my own ROM in a "kitchen" and using premade (precooked) ROMS and so forth. It was kinda confusing because everyone uses these terms instead of just saying "program" or "building".

I had initially forgotten what I had done a year ago, later I figured out that I had been using a DCD rom for that whole year, since then they had many updates.

As btonetbone explained, you have tons of options.

To start out I would recommend doing DCD's latest ROM and then installing the programs you want. He basically strips all the crap out of the phone and fine tunes the phone to run smoothly. It's not a whole lot different than using your phone now.

The downside to just installing the programs one by one, is that if you ever have to do a hard reset, you will have to re-install all the programs.

"Cooking" (building) a ROM in a "Kitchen" (a program for building a ROM) means that you pick what programs you want to install when you install the ROM. That means you CANNOT uninstall these programs without reinstalling the ROM, BUT if you were to do a hard reset, those programs will still be there and won't need to be re-installed. With cooking your own ROMS, you may get programs that conflict and then you will have to re-cook and re-install, hence why I suggest doing a ROM that doesn't have any programs and then installing different one's untill you find what you like.

Yet another option is to "cook" a pre made ROM. There are a lot of premade ROMS and sometimes the person that made the ROM will release a "kitchen" in which you may use to cook that ROM specifically. You can then take the ROM they produced, use the kitchen they released and then add or remove the programs that get installed with it.

Outside of all of that, there is one big factor for customiztion besides the programs on it. Your "Home" or "Today" screen, basically the main screen. Some ROMS will come with these installed all ready, DCD's does not, you can then pick which one you want.

The most basic is "HTC home", the best way is to download "HTC Home Customizer" (or HHC) from pocketemu.com , install it and it will ask you to download the latest "HTC Home Plugin" which is the actual program, the customizer is used to tailor it.

Then they have "TouchFlo 2d" which I believe is based on the today screen you get with the htc touch. This is actually included in a good amount of ROMS.

Then there is a 3d type one and so forth, you can even make your phone function like an iPhone or whatever else is out there.

I havent tried a lot of these things or these other roms, I just dont have the time and I need my phone to be working more often than not. If you do the DCD rom with HTC home, it can do quite a bit and be stable and reliable.

Last edited by bobturismo; 07-10-2009 at 09:39 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:23 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

duffman33 is a n00b

OK, well I have been trying since yesterday to flash my mogul and I have as yet been unsuccessful. I believe I unlocked it correctly, but trying to flash a new rom via pc was not working as it would say either the connection was faulty when it was not or it would say the rom I downloaded (Mattsm's) was not valid. I then tried to flash it via sd, but it would go into bootloader and not do anything further, forcing me to reset it. Finally, I tried to unlock it with the sd card method, and downloaded the exe file, put it on an sd, and ran it on the mogul. It started, and said I had all the requirements, but when I pressed continue, it again just entered bootloader mode and refused to do anything else until I finally reset the mogul. The only clue I have at this point is that it said it should say 2.47 No2Chem on the bootloader screen when it has been run successfully, and mine still says 2.07 No2Chem. Please help!!!!
Old 07-11-2009, 05:41 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC PPC6800 - Alltel
Carrier: Alltel

btonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on repbtonetbone is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman33 View Post
OK, well I have been trying since yesterday to flash my mogul and I have as yet been unsuccessful. I believe I unlocked it correctly, but trying to flash a new rom via pc was not working as it would say either the connection was faulty when it was not or it would say the rom I downloaded (Mattsm's) was not valid. I then tried to flash it via sd, but it would go into bootloader and not do anything further, forcing me to reset it. Finally, I tried to unlock it with the sd card method, and downloaded the exe file, put it on an sd, and ran it on the mogul. It started, and said I had all the requirements, but when I pressed continue, it again just entered bootloader mode and refused to do anything else until I finally reset the mogul. The only clue I have at this point is that it said it should say 2.47 No2Chem on the bootloader screen when it has been run successfully, and mine still says 2.07 No2Chem. Please help!!!!
Some SD cards are just not going to work. There's no real reason to explain it,but they just won't work. My first card was a 1 gig PNY that I couldn' get to work. I finally tried a 2 gig Sandisk, and it worked first try. If you have another small SD card handy, give it a go.
Secondly, make sure you are using the proper file named the proper thing. After you download Matt's file, make sure you Unrar it to extract the file inside. Rename the file inside the necessary thing:
RUU_Signed.nbh - for flashing via USB
TITAIMG.nbh - for flashing via SD
It's usually safe to set your computer to show you file extensions, too, so you don't accidentally name it something like TITAIMG.nbh.nbh and not realize it.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan > Titan Development