PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan > Titan Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2008, 02:00 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: Verizon

sdsoundguy2007 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to sdsoundguy2007
VZW PRI FROM HELL WARNING PLEASE READ!!! quote from GC at XDA

This is just a warning post to all VZW users who have either flashed or are thinking about flashing the 6.1 update.

PRI 2.03_002 that gets installed during the customizations at first boot can cause numerous problems.

I'm going to say this once, so please don't ask later...

IF you don't care about being able to use the GPS with any 3rd party apps, then you can disregard this post and flash away.

IF you DO care about being able to use the GPS with any 3rd party apps, do NOT flash this update.

As you all know, the PRI completely locks down access to all 3rd party apps trying to use the GPS. What you don't know is that even by flashing back to stock completely and rolling back the PRI to 1.35_002, then updating back to a custom rom/radio, the PRI comes back.

I'm not sure why or how it happens so please don't ask, but if you flash this update, and then think you'll be fine by rolling back the PRI, please take this as a warning.

The ONLY way to roll back to PRI 1.35_002 and KEEP it while still using a custom rom/radio is:

1. Flash back to stock, let customizations run to roll back the PRI.
2. Update SPL to 2.40 via USB. DO NOT USE SPL 2.47 IT WILL NOT WORK.
3. Flash either the 3.35 or 3.56 Sprint Update and do NOT let Sprint customizations run at first boot (THIS STEP IS REQUIRED TO MAINTAIN THE PRI)
4. Now you can flash your custom rom/radio of your choice and the PRI should read 1.35_002.

There's more.

I didn't label this thread PRI from hell for no reason. After you've successfully rolled back the PRI to 1.35_002, your DMU keys will be corrupt causing you to be without data. There are only 3 ways to fix this:

1. If you have an old handset (non pda/smartphone), log in to your VZW account online and activate it. This will prompt you to remove the data feature codes from your plan. Once complete, reactivate the xv6800 and add back the data feature codes you removed. Wait 2 minutes and dial *22899. If it says you need to be authenticated first, you may need to call customer service and have them authenticate you. Then dial *22899 again.

2. If you don't have an old handset to activate, you need to call customer service and get them to perform a DMU reset on your device. Also have them remove all data feature codes from your account and add them back on.

3. Swap out your phone.

If you care about being able to use 3rd party apps with the GPS, DO NOT let the PRI update as you WILL regret it.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:28 PM
N00b

nitro66215 is a n00b
Re: VZW PRI FROM HELL WARNING PLEASE READ!!! quote from GC at XDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsoundguy2007 View Post
1. If you have an old handset (non pda/smartphone), log in to your VZW account online and activate it. This will prompt you to remove the data feature codes from your plan. Once complete, reactivate the xv6800 and add back the data feature codes you removed. Wait 2 minutes and dial *22899. If it says you need to be authenticated first, you may need to call customer service and have them authenticate you. Then dial *22899 again.
In my experience... if you have a PDA phone... I use my old Treo 700wx... and you go back and activate it... get it up and running.... then go back and activate your 6800... it will do the DMU reset without any problems. No need to drop the data package and add it back. That's just an extra step that I have not had to do.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:19 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

scrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsoundguy2007 View Post
This is just a warning post to all VZW users who have either flashed or are thinking about flashing the 6.1 update.

PRI 2.03_002 that gets installed during the customizations at first boot can cause numerous problems.

I'm going to say this once, so please don't ask later...

IF you don't care about being able to use the GPS with any 3rd party apps, then you can disregard this post and flash away.

IF you DO care about being able to use the GPS with any 3rd party apps, do NOT flash this update.

As you all know, the PRI completely locks down access to all 3rd party apps trying to use the GPS. What you don't know is that even by flashing back to stock completely and rolling back the PRI to 1.35_002, then updating back to a custom rom/radio, the PRI comes back.

I'm not sure why or how it happens so please don't ask, but if you flash this update, and then think you'll be fine by rolling back the PRI, please take this as a warning.

The ONLY way to roll back to PRI 1.35_002 and KEEP it while still using a custom rom/radio is:

1. Flash back to stock, let customizations run to roll back the PRI.
2. Update SPL to 2.40 via USB. DO NOT USE SPL 2.47 IT WILL NOT WORK.
3. Flash either the 3.35 or 3.56 Sprint Update and do NOT let Sprint customizations run at first boot (THIS STEP IS REQUIRED TO MAINTAIN THE PRI)
4. Now you can flash your custom rom/radio of your choice and the PRI should read 1.35_002.

There's more.

I didn't label this thread PRI from hell for no reason. After you've successfully rolled back the PRI to 1.35_002, your DMU keys will be corrupt causing you to be without data. There are only 3 ways to fix this:

2. If you don't have an old handset to activate, you need to call customer service and get them to perform a DMU reset on your device. Also have them remove all data feature codes from your account and add them back on.

3. Swap out your phone.

If you care about being able to use 3rd party apps with the GPS, DO NOT let the PRI update as you WILL regret it.
Pretty accurate but a couple issues that I noted that are not all 100% correct. If you dont mind let me explain...

0. You should clarify in step one that you mean flash back to the "official NON GPS ROM." Maybe even include a link to the thread on how to do that. I would but I am work right now and all my favorites are at home. Cant get the VPN working on my phone for the life of me but that is another thread all together.

1. You dont have to flash the Sprint ROM for any reason after unlocking it again with SPL 2.40 (assuming you completed the steps to flash back to a non stock ROM). What I did was put the radio and ROM of my choice on memory card and flashed radio first, took card out, moved correct NBH to root then flashed OS ROM. Everything worked 100% You can use the Sprint ROM but why do that if you are going to just flash a new radio and ROM as soon as you finish that? Secondly you keep your VZW boot screens if you do it my way ;c) Thats a plus for me. You can also do this via USB for the Radio and OS ROM as well. Yo dont have to use mem card but damn it is so much faster!

2. The part about the DMU being corrupt is also not 100% accurate. This MAY happen but did not happen each time I did this last night. Only did it once (going from stockl non GPS to Stock GPS at that!!!!!). I have flashed from "stock NON GPS" to "GPS" and back to "Stock GPS" then to "Stock NON GPS" (and so on and so on) many times in the past 48 hours and only had the issue one single time.

3. The part about Authentication is only part true. If you followed your own steps in the post you could not have authentication errors because you will get a new AKey as soon as you actiavate by using *228 after swapping your phone back on the VZW site. So in theory you wont have this problem. But your resolution is a good one.

I did this process about three or four times last night. I was trying all sorts of setups, just for fun, on my phone. I am determined to crack this Stock GPS ROM open and understand it better.

Overall good article. Thanks for your contribution. It will help many people I can guarantee that!!! I did this all in about the first 2 hours after the first drop of the ROM. Did not even sleep that night I was so mad that I lost GPS on an official GPS ROM. Kept going until I figured this out.

Great job and thank you!
Old 08-27-2008, 03:22 PM
VIP Member

scrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro66215 View Post
In my experience... if you have a PDA phone... I use my old Treo 700wx... and you go back and activate it... get it up and running.... then go back and activate your 6800... it will do the DMU reset without any problems. No need to drop the data package and add it back. That's just an extra step that I have not had to do.
Exactly what I said after your post. When you swap your phone out they give you new authentication keys, DMU, etc. They treat the phone like its brand new and never had this info so it solves the problem every time.

One other minor nuance with these steps.... you should dial *228 and not *22899 as shown in the post. Those, I believe, are for a different carrier.

Last edited by scrosler; 08-27-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:30 PM
N00b

nitro66215 is a n00b

*22899 is actually the same as *228 option 1. Nothing special. and it does work on Verizon.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:39 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro66215 View Post
*22899 is actually the same as *228 option 1. Nothing special. and it does work on Verizon.
I stand corrected! Thats good info to know! Sweetness! One less button to press!
Old 08-27-2008, 03:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6900

jacksplat is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrosler View Post
I stand corrected! Thats good info to know! Sweetness! One less button to press!
isn't it actually 1 more button? '99' vs option '1'? hehehehe...but seriously, good to know, I hate listening to prompts.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:22 PM
Ditch Doctor
Carrier: VZW

GaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

My understanding of *22899 is that it updates option 1 and 2 at the same time. But I could b wrong too.

Feel free to if choose to do so.
My ROM for Verizon, Sprint, Alltel, US Cellular and Cricket 20931 Base!!

The THANKS button is over there------------------------------------------------>
Old 08-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

sdsoundguy2007 is a n00b
Send a message via Yahoo to sdsoundguy2007

Here is the orginal post from XDA by GC14 for those that were interested sure there are some shortcuts that can be taken. But most of us who have been watching the contributios of both GC14 and DCD know that they are major contributors along with No2chem and many others way to many to count and to thank.

Well anyways here is the orginal thread about the PRI From Hell and most people should wait to do the update. That was the orginal point of the thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=421143

From the looks of things a few people did the update and are having some problems now, so a word of warning wait for DCD, No2chem, Colonel or one of the other excelent creators of ROM's that does't hose ya and make you jump through extra hoops like the new VZW Stock ROM will do later if you want to upgrade or update.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:55 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio

b16daddy is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to b16daddy Send a message via Yahoo to b16daddy
Better Safer Way To Resotore Pri

there is a better and safer way to restore the old PRI 1.35..
uhhhh.. Just run the Radio Refurbish from this post..

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=421275

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan > Titan Development