PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan > Titan Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2008, 02:59 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: 6800 & Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel

shadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GPS on alltel 6800 - easy way

*UPDATED 10-11-08* Alltel Has released an Official WM 6.1 ROM, It is ALREADY GPS Enabled. If you have the Windows Mobile 6.1 ROM, this thread is of no use to you. If you have the old 6.0 ROM, this thread will still be of use to you. You can get the new 6.1 ROM and ignore this thread.
Official Alltel Windows Mobile 6.1 Rom ppc-6800: http://216.139.227.226/alltel/RUU_TI..._PPST_Ship.exe

-OR keep your WM 6.0 ROM and do the steps below to enable GPS on your ppc6800

This is to make it so the Internal GPS works on an Alltel ppc-6800 and ppc-6900.
It is for use with the Official Alltel ROM ONLY. This may work for other Official WM 6.0 ROMS from other carriers.
This is for people who do not have unlocked phones and/or custom roms.

*UPDATED 10-2-08* The cab I had up here for a few days didn't work for everybody, so we are back to the 4-file install process until updated. Thanks.

1. Extract the zip file to your phone. (download at bottom of post)
2. Install each of these one at a time. start with 1, then 2, then 3, then 4. (some will just make ur screen flash, this is good, move on to the next one.)
3. After all 4 are installed wait 20 seconds then soft reset.

--------------TROUBLESHOOTING-----------------------------------------
-It can take 10 minutes to get a lock. (too slow for you? see the link at bottom to speed it up.)
|
|
-Check Your ROM
start\settings\system\Device Information
PPC6800 > ROM ---3.35 or greater
PPC6800 > Radio --3.37 or greater

PPC6900 > ROM ---3.04 or greater
PPC6900 > Radio --3.37 or greater
|
|
-Location Setting must be ON.
Phone\menu\options...\Services\Location Setting
|
|
-Check Your GPS setting:
start/settings/connections/external gps (it may be in start/settings/system/external gps)
Program Tab: Com 4
Hardware Tab: gps hardare port= none, baudrate = 4800 baud
Access Tab: check 'manage gps automatically'
|
|
-Test Using Google Maps:
Open Google Maps, Click 'Use GPS'
-------If you get 'Initializing GPS...'
Then your Gps Com ports are wrong in google maps, you didnt soft reset, you didnt let windows manage gps, or you didnt install to main memory.

-------If you get 'Seeking GPS satellites (0)...'
Then your location setting is set to OFF, your com ports are set wrong in windows, you didnt let windows manage gps, didnt wait long enough, obstructed view to satellites.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

*UPDATE*
See this thread to drastically improve the performance of the Internal GPS:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=402134
Attached Files
File Type: zip Enable GPS (Alltel ppc-6800).zip (83.5 KB, 1137 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by shadow-tech; 10-15-2008 at 01:41 PM.
This post has been thanked 25 times.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:55 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6800
Carrier: alltel

rickyrecaro is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrickyrecaro is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrickyrecaro is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via Yahoo to rickyrecaro
Re: GPS on alltel 6800 - easy way

nice, but sounds like it takes some of the fun of breaking the noob seal..
Old 05-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Regular 'Geeker

chevyforlife is keeping up the good workchevyforlife is keeping up the good work
Send a message via MSN to chevyforlife

It SAys That the file isn't Downloadable
Radio: 3.42.50
Old 05-23-2008, 01:51 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

shadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on rep

housekeeping.

Last edited by shadow-tech; 09-28-2008 at 01:10 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:03 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
nice, but sounds like it takes some of the fun of breaking the noob seal..

true but there are no known issues/ glitches with this approach

Some people must use an official ROM because they are work phones.

Last edited by shadow-tech; 09-27-2008 at 01:53 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:09 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: alltel

blubrown21 is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to blubrown21 Send a message via Yahoo to blubrown21

has anyone else got this to work?
Old 05-23-2008, 10:52 PM
Regular 'Geeker

chevyforlife is keeping up the good workchevyforlife is keeping up the good work
Send a message via MSN to chevyforlife

i cant get it to work
Old 05-25-2008, 08:53 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC-6800 (Alltel)

JoLLyRoGer is becoming a great contributor

Shadow-Tech speaks the truth!!!!

Best GPS upgrade technique I've found anywhere on the net!! No hacked ROMS, no bootloader troubles, no A-key, this key, that key, no unlocker headaches, no kitchens, and best of all no questions about mucking up my warranty! This is as straight-forward and simple as it gets folks!

Follow his steps verbatim and you simply can't miss. For me it went something like this.

1. Grabbed the latest Alltel ROM from HTC and installed it. No unlocking/relocking required (at least not for me since I am an Alltel customer)

2. Downloaded Shadow-Tech's .zip file (hint: you MUST cut and paste the web link in your browser like he said in the OP in order to get a download).

3. Follow the steps in the included readme. It does not matter where on the phone you copy the 4 unzipped files to so long as you install them all to main memory and in the correct order (and they're numbered 1-2-3-4 for nOObs like me!!)

Note: Files 1 & 3 may appear to do absolutely nothing when you tap them with the stylus but that's OK. Apparently they do what they need to in order to let files 2 & 4 install correctly.

4. Do a soft reset.

5. Enable Location under Setttings>Phone>Services

6. Verify GPS settings per the readme.txt file included in the .zip package

7. Install Google maps and set it to use GPS and Voila!! Wait a few minutes to acquire satellites and off you go!!!

And now some final notes about slow satellite tracking (GPS 101 if you will...):
All GPS units store information about the GPS satellite constellation. These are not geo-synchronous satellites like DirecTV or Sirius Radio. They are in lower orbit and are constantly moving.

Once locked on, the GPS satellites move in and out of visibility, the GPS stores a running log of when and where it last saw a particular satellite allowing it to more accurately predict when it will see that same satellite again and approximately where that satellite will be in orbit at that time. The more accurately a GPS can predict a satellites location, the quicker it will lock on to it.

Since the entire constellation cycles every few hours, I left my phone sitting docked on the cradle over-night running Google Maps in GPS mode in order to let the GPS unit build up a good solid almanac of the constellation. This morning I'm consistantly able to track 7-9 satellites at any given moment and it only takes seconds to lock on after exiting the program. This includes hard resets, soft resets, standby mode, etc.

All that said, the longer you let your GPS run, the better it will get. Conversely, since the satellites do shift orbit somewhat, the longer you let your GPS sit between uses, the more out of date your almanac becomes, and the longer it will take for that initial lock on.

Great streamlined solution and Kudos to you Shadow-Tech!
10/10!

-JR

BTW, if anyone is having problems downloading the .zip file or the updated Alltel ROM, I'll be happy to mirror.

Last edited by JoLLyRoGer; 05-25-2008 at 09:03 AM.
This post has been thanked 10 times.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:00 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: PPC6800

ericthegreat is a n00b

Awesome Shadow! Thanks!
Old 05-25-2008, 07:06 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

just trying to do my part. contribution is what makes ppcgeeks work.

JollyRoger, your GPS 101 Info is very very enlightning and usefull. Not sure if it is on the GPS sticky but it SHOULD be. I will leave my gps on all night and day and report back soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOLLYROGER
And now some final notes about slow satellite tracking (GPS 101 if you will...):
All GPS units store information about the GPS satellite constellation. These are not geo-synchronous satellites like DirecTV or Sirius Radio. They are in lower orbit and are constantly moving.

Once locked on, the GPS satellites move in and out of visibility, the GPS stores a running log of when and where it last saw a particular satellite allowing it to more accurately predict when it will see that same satellite again and approximately where that satellite will be in orbit at that time. The more accurately a GPS can predict a satellites location, the quicker it will lock on to it.

Since the entire constellation cycles every few hours, I left my phone sitting docked on the cradle over-night running Google Maps in GPS mode in order to let the GPS unit build up a good solid almanac of the constellation. This morning I'm consistantly able to track 7-9 satellites at any given moment and it only takes seconds to lock on after exiting the program. This includes hard resets, soft resets, standby mode, etc.

All that said, the longer you let your GPS run, the better it will get. Conversely, since the satellites do shift orbit somewhat, the longer you let your GPS sit between uses, the more out of date your almanac becomes, and the longer it will take for that initial lock on.

If ANYONE wants to host the patch file FEEL 1000% FREE TO DO SO.

i know the server i used sucks. i just wanted to 'get-it-out-there'. i will gladly update the first post if you get a mirror for me.

Last edited by shadow-tech; 05-25-2008 at 07:32 PM.
This post has been thanked 5 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan > Titan Development