PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan > Titan Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2008, 01:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: TELUS
Threadstarter

verkion is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsme420 View Post
You my friend are the man! This is the always on GPS connection I have been waiting for. I have been playing with this app right here http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=18047 and now with this reg edit it works all the time. Even with not Data connection, no google maps, no live search... All I can say is Nice. Can some one try it with a gps like tomtom or something?

Hrm...this might indeed be a "placebo" effect if what lsme420 has to say is true and this is in fact, the persistent setting for GPS and NOT an AGPS setting. This MIGHT be the reason why it is able to "obtain a lock" quicker, (i.e. it is always seeking since its always on), but this doesn't really explain why it can obtain satellite locks in areas I could not before. Also interesting that lsme420 mentioned that this worked WITHOUT data connection.

Here's an experiment if you guys don't mind. Turn on WiFi, and turn off data, then start up google maps...go to your basement or something where its hard to get satellite locks and then start up the GPS in google maps. See if you can get a lock and time it. Do the same thing this time with an active data connection...time it. See if there's any difference. I'll post my results after other's post theirs.

verkion
Old 02-13-2008, 02:21 PM
Lurker

elude79 is a n00b
XV6800 w/ WM6.1, Radio Version 3.27.0 and GPS is NOT working w/ Google

Hi All,

I recently upgrade my ROM for XV6800 Verizon w/
ROM Version DCD2.1.0
Date: 12-05-07
w/ ERI version 4.

and the GPS option is still not working on Google. I did the config w/ COM5 thing and still no good. Can someone pls help me on this.

I really like this ROM, because the Speaker are much louder. love it !!!

PLEASE
Old 02-13-2008, 02:21 PM
Lurker

elude79 is a n00b
Smile XV6800 w/ WM6.1, Radio Version 3.27.0 and GPS is NOT working w/ Google

Hi All,

W/ Above setup and install but Now I can't view Youtube.com video kept on getting error. pls help.

Last edited by elude79; 02-13-2008 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Tregrad is a n00b
this aint no placebo, it takes forever to pick up a satelite here at home in my office. I just did the reg change rebooted and started up the spring gps program and searched for a auto parts store and with in 2-4 seconds BAM!! there it was. it used to take for everrrrrr.

Now, that said, is this thing "always on" like stated before in this thread or does it just work real good? if its always on is there a way to protect the batery from being drained?

thanks
Old 02-13-2008, 05:59 PM
The Pusher Man
Pocket PC: BB
Carrier: Sprint - Simply Everything

Lsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Quote:
You my friend are the man! This is the always on GPS connection I have been waiting for. I have been playing with this app right HERE and now with this reg edit it works all the time. Even with not Data connection, no google maps, no live search... All I can say is Nice. Can some one try it with a gps like tomtom or something?
#1.What I mean by always on is. Example.. This program "Vitofindme" would not work unless I had a active sat connection through live search or Google maps prior to running Vito. But since the reg edit I don't need to launch them. This I'm thinking is a-GPS through my radio so if my phones on so is a-GPS.

**"An a-GPS reciver receiver can address these problems in several ways, using an Assistance Server:
, The Assistance Server can locate the phone roughly by what cell site it is connected to on the cellular network.
, The Assistance Server has a good satellite signal, and lots of computation power, so it can compare fragmentary signals relayed to it by cell phones, with the satellite signal it receives directly, and then inform the cell phone or emergency services of the cell phone's position.
, It can supply orbital data for the GPS satellites to the cell phone, enabling the cell phone to lock to the satellites when it otherwise could not, and autonomously calculate its position.
, It can have better knowledge of ionospheric conditions and other errors affecting the GPS signal than the cell phone alone, enabling more precise calculation of position.

#2 The GPS always worked without a data connection. The only reason you have a active data connection with livesearch or Google maps is to load your visual map off the web such as satellite view or road view, not your gps position. Or you would just be a blue ball moving in a big brown field.

#3 It works for what I need it to do.

Click for **a-GPS definition**

Last edited by Lsme420; 02-21-2008 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

lsme420, quick question...do you know whether VITO FindMe works without it showing in the today screen? As in, does it always run in the background? I don't really want to have it showing on my today screen

verkion
Old 02-13-2008, 06:55 PM
The Pusher Man
Pocket PC: BB
Carrier: Sprint - Simply Everything

Lsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by verkion View Post
lsme420, quick question...do you know whether VITO FindMe works without it showing in the today screen? As in, does it always run in the background? I don't really want to have it showing on my today screen

verkion
No it dos not. You have to have the today plugin showing.
Please don't hijack this thread with questions about Vito. That was not my intent . Post all questions about Vito in the proper thread. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

johnnychimpo is just getting started
heck yes it works. I get a gps signal in seconds now even inside my house.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
No it dos not. You have to have the today plugin showing.
Please don't hijack this thread with questions about Vito. That was not my intent . Post all questions about Vito in the proper thread. Thanks.
Awww...can't I hijack my own thread? j/k'ing.

So, my argument is that for the "assisted" portion of the A-GPS to work, one needs a data connection...why do I say this? Because, DATA is being relayed to the phone, (and vice versa). Remember the experiment I mentioned above...here are my results, (tested last night).

1) NO DATA CONNECTION, WI-FI connected, in my basement. Fired up Google Maps, clicked "Use GPS" and...nothing...wait...nothing...10 mins later, 0 satellites. Reset with Stylus to ensure "clean comparison".

2) Data connection on, Wi-Fi off, same place. Started the Data Connection by looking at the weather plugin in HTC Home. Then, fired up Google Maps, clicked "Use GPS" and...30 seconds later, 4 satellites. 2 mins later and it had between 4-7 (fluctuating) satellites.

Comments?

verkion
Old 02-13-2008, 09:58 PM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

EtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuff
Isn't there a hybrid mode? Where it will prefer A-GPS but use standalone if the towers aren't available?

Anyone tried to use option 3 in that setting?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan > Titan Development