PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 10:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

agentjonnyb is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation crashing issue w/ Syndicate 1.2: Did I miss something?

Ok, first off, I wanna thank the ACS team for making this amazingly fast, smooth ROM, you guys changed me from hating Android to loving it, my phone has been working not like a new phone, but BETTER than a new one! Excellent work, guys!

Now onto the issue at hand: On two occasions in the past 4 days, I have had my phone crash/freeze up. This I would expect to happen on anything anyways, it happens to us all. However, both of these occasions required me to take out the battery to reboot the device, it simply would not get out of the frozen state ever. The first time, it crashed when I tried downloading an image off the browser. During this occasion, I did not know about the Journaling, which was disabled. So I had to reinstall the ROM, start over, acquired the zip to enable Journaling, (if I understand correctly, Journaling should help the phone fully recover from a crash in which the user had to improperly shut down and reboot as I did with the battery).

About 24hrs ago, it crashed again (so it went a good 50+ hrs of constant use, few proper reboots here and there). This time, it was first slowing down, and the browser was starting to display things really oddly, with horizontal colored lines randomly placed in the picture. Since I also had a ton of apps running, I went through RAM management and did a level 2 cleanup, then it picked up fine. I proceeded to use the browser again, and the lines came back, figured I'd try Opera mobile, but then the phone crashed as I tried to go back home from market.

Has anyone experienced any issues like this? Any bug fixes/updates I might have missed? Apps to beware of?

I'm still gonna stick with this ROM even if I have to recover every two days, still much better than the garbage called stock ROMs, lol, those are terrible junk!

Update: Crash happened twice today, but wiping dalvik cache (3x) and reboot recovery worked...for now...

Last edited by agentjonnyb; 11-13-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:24 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: OnePlus 8 5G
Carrier: T-Mobile

demonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; SPH-D710 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

That doesn't sound good. Maybe try reloading ROM again?
Old 11-13-2011, 11:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G
Threadstarter

agentjonnyb is becoming a great contributor
Re: crashing issue w/ Syndicate 1.2: Did I miss something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonlordoftheround View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; SPH-D710 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

That doesn't sound good. Maybe try reloading ROM again?
I actually did prior to the events listed up above. I was starting to wonder if maybe I need to get a different kernel? I am still a bit new to flashing Android ROMs (used to flash WM6.1/6.5 all the time).
Old 11-13-2011, 11:44 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Is there any pattern to the crashing? what apps do you have installed? are you syncing any data? have you tried doing a logcat when it starts to behave strangely?

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 11-14-2011, 06:34 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

fuzzybabybunny is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentjonnyb View Post
Ok, first off, I wanna thank the ACS team for making this amazingly fast, smooth ROM, you guys changed me from hating Android to loving it, my phone has been working not like a new phone, but BETTER than a new one! Excellent work, guys!

Now onto the issue at hand: On two occasions in the past 4 days, I have had my phone crash/freeze up. This I would expect to happen on anything anyways, it happens to us all. However, both of these occasions required me to take out the battery to reboot the device, it simply would not get out of the frozen state ever. The first time, it crashed when I tried downloading an image off the browser. During this occasion, I did not know about the Journaling, which was disabled. So I had to reinstall the ROM, start over, acquired the zip to enable Journaling, (if I understand correctly, Journaling should help the phone fully recover from a crash in which the user had to improperly shut down and reboot as I did with the battery).

About 24hrs ago, it crashed again (so it went a good 50+ hrs of constant use, few proper reboots here and there). This time, it was first slowing down, and the browser was starting to display things really oddly, with horizontal colored lines randomly placed in the picture. Since I also had a ton of apps running, I went through RAM management and did a level 2 cleanup, then it picked up fine. I proceeded to use the browser again, and the lines came back, figured I'd try Opera mobile, but then the phone crashed as I tried to go back home from market.

Has anyone experienced any issues like this? Any bug fixes/updates I might have missed? Apps to beware of?

I'm still gonna stick with this ROM even if I have to recover every two days, still much better than the garbage called stock ROMs, lol, those are terrible junk!

Update: Crash happened twice today, but wiping dalvik cache (3x) and reboot recovery worked...for now...
Wow, I had the *same* exact problem with this rom. At first I had looping force closes after the phone shut down due to low battery, so I reinstalled the ROM and turned Journaling On. After a couple weeks it would do the same thing again though - freezing, browser issues, continuous force closes.

My browser eventually experiences the same issues as you describe with the horizontal lines. I also experience the same crashing and freezing issues. Mine freezes at the boot animation (loops but never goes anywhere).

I installed RandomRom after I gave up on SFR 1.2 from a clean EF05 ROM, and even RandomRom started exhibiting the same problems with constant force closes.

Unfortunately I have no idea what's going on. I'm trying to get help from this thread:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/sprint-epi...t-scratch.html

Like you, I was constantly making backups and restoring through CWM Purple.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:04 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybabybunny View Post
Wow, I had the *same* exact problem with this rom. At first I had looping force closes after the phone shut down due to low battery, so I reinstalled the ROM and turned Journaling On. After a couple weeks it would do the same thing again though - freezing, browser issues, continuous force closes.

My browser eventually experiences the same issues as you describe with the horizontal lines. I also experience the same crashing and freezing issues. Mine freezes at the boot animation (loops but never goes anywhere).

I installed RandomRom after I gave up on SFR 1.2 from a clean EF05 ROM, and even RandomRom started exhibiting the same problems with constant force closes.

Unfortunately I have no idea what's going on. I'm trying to get help from this thread:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/sprint-epi...t-scratch.html

Like you, I was constantly making backups and restoring through CWM Purple.
Can you run this in Android Terminal and pot what you get?

cat /proc/L*/bmlinfo
Old 11-14-2011, 08:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

fuzzybabybunny is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Can you run this in Android Terminal and pot what you get?

cat /proc/L*/bmlinfo
Doh. I've since moved onto Legendary Rom EI22. It's been a day. We'll see.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G