PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2010, 09:37 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S Epic 4G
Carrier: sprint

badmoon8081 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just got the epic. a few key things missing.

Love the phone so far. coming from the original touch pro. battery on touch pro was a joke so even though the epic's isn't the best, it's still a huge upgrade in that category. There are just a few simple things missing that would make this phone basically perfect....

1. android 2.2 froyo - I hear that sprint/samsung has guaranteed that the epic will eventually get this but when?

2. Touchwiz 3.0 - why is it that the epic is the only galaxy s phone with all outdated software? would be hard to imagine an upgrade to froyo without also a TW upgrade. However, that's just an assumption and sprint has fooled me before.

3. TV Out - At this point, I don't care whether it's through the 3.5 jack or Samsung's upcoming micro usb to hdmi cable. As long as it's full TV out and not a watered down restricted type like on the EVO.

4. Bluetooth Upgrade - It's now pretty common knowledge that the galaxy s phones along with the evo used an outdated BT stack. The outdated software makes using a BT headset annoying. You can't make voice activated calls from the headset among other things. Also, I have a friend who uses the wiimote to play his gaming simulators on his phone. Got to say I'm a little jealous and confused seeing as my phone is far Superior to his.

5. FM Radio - This is almost a question. Have tried everything but can't seem to find it. I thought this was pre-loaded and a guaranteed feature. I know Sprint has blocked FM radios before but i thought this was something sprint had supported on the evo and epic?

Like I said, I love the phone and to list the positives would take all day. I've never been a fan of rooting/custom roms so if these few issues aren't resolved by sprint/samsung/android themselves, then I guess I will just have to live with it.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:04 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Just got the epic. a few key things missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmoon8081 View Post
Love the phone so far. coming from the original touch pro. battery on touch pro was a joke so even though the epic's isn't the best, it's still a huge upgrade in that category. There are just a few simple things missing that would make this phone basically perfect....

1. android 2.2 froyo - I hear that sprint/samsung has guaranteed that the epic will eventually get this but when?
Most Galaxy S phones will get upgrades to Froyo in October..there "might" be a delay on the CDMA variants or it may come out at same time..can't really say, but we will get it.

Quote:
2. Touchwiz 3.0 - why is it that the epic is the only galaxy s phone with all outdated software? would be hard to imagine an upgrade to froyo without also a TW upgrade. However, that's just an assumption and sprint has fooled me before.
They did not include TW3 because of landscape mode issues on the Epic...TW2.5 is more stable but missing features...we will probably get it with Froyo though.

Quote:
3. TV Out - At this point, I don't care whether it's through the 3.5 jack or Samsung's upcoming micro usb to hdmi cable. As long as it's full TV out and not a watered down restricted type like on the EVO.
TV Out on other Galaxy S is full..but we know TW2.5 does not support either no matter what...TW3 has the option but whether its locked or we have a different hardware from the rest restricting this is hard to say at this point.

Quote:
4. Bluetooth Upgrade - It's now pretty common knowledge that the galaxy s phones along with the evo used an outdated BT stack. The outdated software makes using a BT headset annoying. You can't make voice activated calls from the headset among other things. Also, I have a friend who uses the wiimote to play his gaming simulators on his phone. Got to say I'm a little jealous and confused seeing as my phone is far Superior to his.
There probably will be an upgrade with Froyo...that said Galaxy S phones have the ability and there are apps to make it happen...do they not work on the Epic? One thing for sure is when CyanogenMod comes all these will be 100% possible

Quote:
5. FM Radio - This is almost a question. Have tried everything but can't seem to find it. I thought this was pre-loaded and a guaranteed feature. I know Sprint has blocked FM radios before but i thought this was something sprint had supported on the evo and epic?
Sprint locked it....we may be able to unlock it in due time.

Like I said, I love the phone and to list the positives would take all day. I've never been a fan of rooting/custom roms so if these few issues aren't resolved by sprint/samsung/android themselves, then I guess I will just have to live with it.[/QUOTE]

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 10-04-2010, 12:18 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

Hey thanks for the quick reply. I'm sure the majority of these issues will be taken care of with the upcoming upgrades. However, the BT issue is one I'm not sure will get resolved. At least not fully.

For example, the evo has froyo yet still does not work with a wiimote unless using a custom rom. So I'm not sure the froyo update for the epic will help. However, correct me if i'm wrong, but froyo did solve the issue of making calls with your BT headset without having to touch your phone's screen on the evo.

Got to say the possibilty of using the micro usb to hdmi cable to connect to an hdtv, then running my snes/nes/sg simulators, plus propping the phone in front of the tv in the samsung dock, and then using a wireless wiimote to play from my couch would be freaking sweet.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:26 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmoon8081 View Post
Hey thanks for the quick reply. I'm sure the majority of these issues will be taken care of with the upcoming upgrades. However, the BT issue is one I'm not sure will get resolved. At least not fully.

For example, the evo has froyo yet still does not work with a wiimote unless using a custom rom.
Well that wouldn't exactly be considered an issue..its not like these devices were made to be used as wiimotes...but custom roms do add that functionality to make it meet people's needs.

Quote:
So I'm not sure the froyo update for the epic will help. However, correct me if i'm wrong, but froyo did solve the issue of making calls with your BT headset without having to touch your phone's screen on the evo.
Yes it will, its also not an issue as it is a feature of Froyo that Eclair did not have.

Quote:
Got to say the possibilty of using the micro usb to hdmi cable to connect to an hdtv, then running my snes/nes/sg simulators, plus propping the phone in front of the tv in the samsung dock, and then using a wireless wiimote to play from my couch would be freaking sweet.
Right now our only way of sharing is DLNA, but I'm sure with some hacking it will be possible..or maybe if lucky they may include it natively...there are claims that Sprint blocked it to prevent Sprint TV from being shared which does not have DRM..hopefully they will decide to add it in the future...while the devs will probably do what they can if it is possible.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:01 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

crazaytalent is keeping up the good workcrazaytalent is keeping up the good work

@badmmon

Im sorry you mentioned the Wiimote feature a couple of times... correct me if im wrong tho... doesnt the epic have this feature.... I see it in the system settings menu where u can activate it as another mode of 'input" although I havent tested it yet, i fully planned to make use... is this feature NOT working for some reason
Old 10-05-2010, 08:03 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazaytalent View Post
@badmmon

Im sorry you mentioned the Wiimote feature a couple of times... correct me if im wrong tho... doesnt the epic have this feature.... I see it in the system settings menu where u can activate it as another mode of 'input" although I havent tested it yet, i fully planned to make use... is this feature NOT working for some reason
The Evo along with all Galaxy phones have outdated BT software, specifically the BT stack. This makes it impossible to connect the wiimote. some say it has to do with htc sense and touchwiz. there is a custom mod out there for the evo where htc sense is completely removed and the wiimote works.

can you describe actually where in the system settings you can see this?

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G