PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 08:27 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

BirdfluNuggetz is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: so far epic gps sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Not at all... mine locked in best buy lol
My Epic locked in inside Best Buy as well... I have used the GPS quite a bit since "Day 1 activation", and have experienced ZERO issues to-date.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic with Cyanogenmod 7

jamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on rep

So the Epic works good with agps but only so-so with regular gps. Having a quality gps program like TOMTOM or garlim with internary planning is the only reason I am not getting this phone and I am sticking with my touch pro 2. I may end up using android on the touch pro 2 and using windows mobile for it's better gps. I know some people like using google maps because it is free but I sometime have to go to places where sprint has no singal google maps will do me no good without a cell phone singal. I need a stand alone gps program that does not depend on the network and TOMTOM does that for me. I would be willing to use garmin too if android had this program for the epic.

Please don't forget to thank me.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:41 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Hero

dan330 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamice4u View Post
So the Epic works good with agps but only so-so with regular gps. Having a quality gps program like TOMTOM or garlim with internary planning is the only reason I am not getting this phone and I am sticking with my touch pro 2. I may end up using android on the touch pro 2 and using windows mobile for it's better gps. I know some people like using google maps because it is free but I sometime have to go to places where sprint has no singal google maps will do me no good without a cell phone singal. I need a stand alone gps program that does not depend on the network and TOMTOM does that for me. I would be willing to use garmin too if android had this program for the epic.
did you know you can purchase 3rd party GPS apps that are stand alone? it downloads maps to your phone.. and all it needs is a good gps signal.

I have used 3rd party on my Hero and my Diamond. But if the EPIC needs cell network assistance.. I can see this might be an issue.. if you are not in network range!
Old 09-07-2010, 01:29 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

cloudtp2 is just getting started

ok did alot of driving out of town this weekend, thx to labor day. and i gotta say since i turned on use wireless network option on, i did not have any gps issues. i was able to find any stores and restaurants using google maps and sprint nav within my location within seconds, just like my touch pro2. i was able to download movie apps and use the gps there too. it works good guys. there is no problems with the gps. at least for me anymore.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:38 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Just to say a few things..

To clarify the difference between stand alone GPS and assisted GPS...in stand alone GPS your phone sends out a signal and tries to find a lock on to satellite...in assisted you receive the satellite coordinates from the tower.

So general rule of thumbs is standalone will take a long time to lock always and usually better outside and with networks enabled you should be able to get a signal inside...BUT a clear view to the sky is not enough...it depends where the satellites are...just cause there is a clear sky does not mean there is one there.

So if your comparing to a TP2 then assisted should be enabled..Though TP2 also had a program that assisted in getting the satellite data called QuickGPS

If you are experiencing jumping around and very vague location means your not getting a GPS signal and instead getting a signal from your wireless.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 09-07-2010, 05:22 PM
nous défions
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S III

Johnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Is there an app like QuickGPS for Android?
Old 09-07-2010, 06:29 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sammy Epic

strickly_ppc670 is keeping up the good workstrickly_ppc670 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Yahoo to strickly_ppc670

There gotta be an app for that....
----------Priceless ----------
Old 09-07-2010, 06:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Vogue / Epic 4G

ghostridr is keeping up the good workghostridr is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by strickly_ppc670 View Post
There gotta be an app for that....
Closest app i've found for that is GPS Status. It lets you clear and download all cached GPS data (cold start).

Epic 4G - Stock (30day trail) until 10/1 when SERO/500 restrictions are lifted. Epic+SERO = $50 per month FTW =D>
Old 09-07-2010, 09:28 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: diamond
Carrier: sprint

bnl552 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Just to say a few things..

To clarify the difference between stand alone GPS and assisted GPS...in stand alone GPS your phone sends out a signal and tries to find a lock on to satellite...in assisted you receive the satellite coordinates from the tower.

So general rule of thumbs is standalone will take a long time to lock always and usually better outside and with networks enabled you should be able to get a signal inside...BUT a clear view to the sky is not enough...it depends where the satellites are...just cause there is a clear sky does not mean there is one there.

So if your comparing to a TP2 then assisted should be enabled..Though TP2 also had a program that assisted in getting the satellite data called QuickGPS

If you are experiencing jumping around and very vague location means your not getting a GPS signal and instead getting a signal from your wireless.
I don't mean to be rude, but you clearly have no clue how gps works.

I'm not going to fully explain how gps works but a few key issues.

In regular GPS mode your phone does not send out any signals. If you want to know why it takes longer see http://www.gsmarena.com/glossary.php3?term=gps

Also, a clear view of the sky is always enough if the GPS is working properly. The entire earth is currently serviceable by at least 4 (the minimum required) satellites at any given moment.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:51 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnl552 View Post
I don't mean to be rude, but you clearly have no clue how gps works.

I'm not going to fully explain how gps works but a few key issues.

In regular GPS mode your phone does not send out any signals. If you want to know why it takes longer see http://www.gsmarena.com/glossary.php3?term=gps

Also, a clear view of the sky is always enough if the GPS is working properly. The entire earth is currently serviceable by at least 4 (the minimum required) satellites at any given moment.
Why do you jump to conclusions that I have no clue what I'm talking about just cause I mis phrased 1 word...it would be "receive" rather then "send"..

anyways the GPS thing with samsung as stated before is the fact that it has to be directly and unobstructed to the satellite..thus places like canyons and heavy urban area may still have issues...

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G