PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G > Sprint Epic 4G Accessories
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Case, Holster, Both, or Naked?
Hard Shell Case 0 0%
Belt Clip type Holster 0 0%
Both of the above 1 33.33%
None, Nada, Zip, Pure Epic. 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2011, 05:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

JUSTinOC is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Case, Holster, Both, or Naked?

Kinda torn on which i like best and just curious what everybody else has on their Epic, has their Epic in, or not.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:01 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Re: Case, Holster, Both, or Naked?

I don't have the epic... And not trolling either... Ok.. Just a little.

Anyway... I have 3 friends with epics... 2 of the 3 rock it bareback in their front pocket... The third is a girl and she has it in a hard shell and a screen protector. I think it's not as much of a concern to her because she gets to carry it in a purse.
But the phone is very thick and almost completely takes away it's pocketability factor. I guess if you have a holster it works great... However like I've always said... It's a personal prefference.

p.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

JUSTinOC is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTECHKA View Post
Anyway... I have 3 friends with epics... 2 of the 3 rock it bareback in their front pocket... The third is a girl and she has it in a hard shell and a screen protector. I think it's not as much of a concern to her because she gets to carry it in a purse.
The girls might have MORE to worry about with the phone being in their purse though. More stuff to scratch it, crack the screen, etc.

In a front pocket...might even be a little safer.

Quote:
But the phone is very thick and almost completely takes away it's pocketability factor. I guess if you have a holster it works great... However like I've always said... It's a personal preference.

p.
See that's where I am torn. With a case it is so thick it's kind of an annoyance. Looks sleeker without it too. However, I dropped mine with a hardshell case (the rubber looking one from Sprint) and no problems what-so-ever. If I didn't have that case on, who knows. Let's face it, these phones don't quite feel as solid like the EVO's or similar.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:20 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level

Yeah... Honestly... That's one of the main reasons I went with the EVO... And I'm a pretty good size dude... So my pockets aren't tiny by any means... But the epic just didn't feel right on it's own... let alone with a case on it.
I rock the otter case on my evo sometimes and still it's slender enough to fit comfortably.

But I see what you mean about the purse thing... And if you drop the epic without a case it will be bad...

What about that ghost shield they sell at the malls.
I almost got it put on my EVO but it was 40 bucks.... And not removeable. So if I bash the screen and get a replacement phone... I have to buy another shield.

p.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

JUSTinOC is a n00b
The only problem with those is I think those mainly just protect against scratches. I'm more worried about impact damage from drops. But I did forget about those.

- Sent from my Epic 4G
Old 05-10-2011, 06:48 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Its not that bad actually..I dropped my phone plenty of times without a scratch (not saying that a case isn't necessary)

You have to consider that in comparison to the Evo the Epic is much lighter in weight..when it falls it will take less damage then say an Evo..

One thing I noticed though with dropping kb phones is also the KB pops out..this usually also helps disenpate fall damage..

Effectively..unless a phone is made of 100% metal cover, it is no different if its fully plastic or partly plastic..if it has plastic anywhere at all your better off it being lighter to take less damage.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha

I'm not sure of the brand... But the one I saw is the one that is like rubbery. It feels good in your hand and supposedly they guarantee against impact too...
I don't usually trust those guys... I need to have something in writing... Anyone can promise anything when they know they may or may not be there tomorrow.

The other thing I do is I rock a little pouch on my belt that I got from Target. It works really good and it's not all bulky... It's called a Golla pouch and it has a metal logo on the front of it... It keeps my phone safe and out of my pocket. It fits the EVO and I'm pretty sure you can drop the epic in there.

They usually have some grey ones at my target with some pink and white flowers... The black and green one I have is hard to find.

Good luck though.
p.

**Edit... Looks like this...

Last edited by AZTECHKA; 05-10-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

JUSTinOC is a n00b
Thumbs up Re: Case, Holster, Both, or Naked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Its not that bad actually..I dropped my phone plenty of times without a scratch (not saying that a case isn't necessary)

You have to consider that in comparison to the Evo the Epic is much lighter in weight..when it falls it will take less damage then say an Evo..

One thing I noticed though with dropping kb phones is also the KB pops out..this usually also helps disenpate fall damage..

Effectively..unless a phone is made of 100% metal cover, it is no different if its fully plastic or partly plastic..if it has plastic anywhere at all your better off it being lighter to take less damage.
Good to know.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

JUSTinOC is a n00b

Quote:
I'm not sure of the brand... But the one I saw is the one that is like rubbery. It feels good in your hand and supposedly they guarantee against impact too...
I don't usually trust those guys... I need to have something in writing... Anyone can promise anything when they know they may or may not be there tomorrow.

The other thing I do is I rock a little pouch on my belt that I got from Target. It works really good and it's not all bulky... It's called a Golla pouch and it has a metal logo on the front of it... It keeps my phone safe and out of my pocket. It fits the EVO and I'm pretty sure you can drop the epic in there.

They usually have some grey ones at my target with some pink and white flowers... The black and green one I have is hard to find.

Good luck though.
p.
I like holsters, however then they get in the way everytime I go to buckle up in my truck. I guess I could just take the whole holster off and put the whole thing in a cup holder or something. Hmmm...what do you do with yours when you drive?
Old 05-10-2011, 07:11 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha

Just for the record... The epic is only .54 oz lighter than the EVO. So it's not LIGHT... A drop is a drop... So just keep that in mind while handling your phone and you should be cool in either case.
p.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G > Sprint Epic 4G Accessories