PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 06:45 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon

blazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Made my own car mount :)

Took some time today and hacked an existing car mount to work with the droid and place it in to car mode when I dock it.

I picked up some small magnets for $1.99 at Radio Shack. Attached the magnet in the correct location on the Droid and used liquid paper to mark the spot on the car mount. Took an existing generic window cling type car mount (cost me $7 when I bought it) and drilled a 5/32 hole in to the plastic. Inserted the magnet (which was a very tight fit so it won't go anywhere).

Now when I insert the Droid it goes in to car mode automatically.

(Used the Droid for the pictures of the magnet and mount. Omnia for the Droid in the Mount)

Follow me on mytabletlife.com
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid

nerdherd is keeping up the good worknerdherd is keeping up the good work
Re: Made my own car mount :)

Very nice! I was thinking about trying to do something similar with the table dock, but when I bought my phone they offered me 40% off all the accessories, and since I'm lazy I just bought the official one
Old 11-09-2009, 07:24 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

blazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdherd View Post
Very nice! I was thinking about trying to do something similar with the table dock, but when I bought my phone they offered me 40% off all the accessories, and since I'm lazy I just bought the official one
lol. I'm trying to be cheap as I just didn't see why I would pay $30 for all plastic with a small magnet. The home dock on the other hand I am buying.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid

nerdherd is keeping up the good worknerdherd is keeping up the good work

Good point. The table dock is actually very nice and comes with another charger. I thought that the car mount came with the car charger, but I was wrong If it did then it would be a really great deal.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:55 PM
That guy with the axe
Pocket PC: MotoDroid

breakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Good job man, I'll be duplicating your efforts. How critical was the magnets position? That one they made out of cardboard on engadget looked like it had trouble getting the phone to stay in car mode.

My primary waste of time and money http://www.cardomain.com/id/FireDiverZ28
Old 11-09-2009, 09:12 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff View Post
Good job man, I'll be duplicating your efforts. How critical was the magnets position? That one they made out of cardboard on engadget looked like it had trouble getting the phone to stay in car mode.
Depends on the strength of the magnet. The one I used had to be in just the right spot. Stronger ones can be further away and still work. Your best bet is to experiment and see what works for you.

Also, to get the multimedia portion working just flip the magnet. The polarity change will pull up the app from the same location.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:20 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Motorola DROID

rolijen is becoming a great contributor

Amazing. Good work BW. Can't wait for you to work your magic on the Droid like you have done on the Omnia. It's only a matter of time........

For those about to rock (We salute you)
Old 11-18-2009, 01:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia

T6D16C84 is a n00b

Do the Verizon stores even carry the muldimedia dock right now?
Old 11-18-2009, 09:10 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T6D16C84 View Post
Do the Verizon stores even carry the muldimedia dock right now?
They would if they had enough stock. You can usually order one from the store and have it shipped to your home by 2nd day FedEx for free. This will depend on stock of course.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:47 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia

T6D16C84 is a n00b

I'll try the store then, because I called Verizon today and was told by a customer service rep he didn't even know such a product existed.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid