PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2008, 04:44 PM
#1 troll!
Pocket PC: Moto G5 Plus
Carrier: AT&T aka deathstar

fixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question sync the htc touch with ubuntu linux ?

i recently switched to linux ubuntu as my operating system. is there a way or has anybody had any success syncing the touch with linux ? if so id be greatly appreciative to find out how. i still have my vista install on a seperate partition but id like to switch to linux permenantly.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue
Carrier: Bell

EtrnlWolf is keeping up the good workEtrnlWolf is keeping up the good workEtrnlWolf is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via ICQ to EtrnlWolf
Re: sync the htc touch with ubuntu linux ?

Using SYNCE/OpenSync might be possible... the HTC Wizard is listed as supported, no other HTC devices though... so if not now then soon I would imagine. Havn't looked into the details of doing this in some time, but a quick look seems they have made alot of headway. If you're prepared to do a bunch of reading etc check it out. Depending what you want to sync, it might be better to just use the MSD drivers, aka usb2pc or something like that, available in most new ROMs, or the cab is floating around too i'm sure. That will make the phone's storage card act like a usb card reader, no access to the phone, but you can copy whatever to the card itself. There was one report of those drivers corrupting the card but no direct proof, backup before just in case.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:21 PM
#1 troll!
Threadstarter

fixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

lets just hope i will be able to fully sync my pda with linux one day soon. is this a problem for mac users too ?
Old 08-01-2008, 10:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue
Carrier: Bell

EtrnlWolf is keeping up the good workEtrnlWolf is keeping up the good workEtrnlWolf is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to EtrnlWolf

Wouldnt really know, not a mac guy at all. I would assume so however, seeing as OSX is a UNIX system. I know historically many MAC users would have to use VirtualPC in order to sync, but havn't checked in many years.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:31 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch

Xanius is a n00b
Send a message via ICQ to Xanius Send a message via AIM to Xanius

Mac has missing sync which allows full syncing with ical etc.

Haven't found one for linux yet. I have ubuntu on my other comp, though my main is vista.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch
Carrier: Sprint

berardi1111 is just getting started

I'm curious about this too... lets just hope for Android for the Vogue FTW!
Old 09-01-2008, 02:50 AM
When will then be now?
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Verizon

imneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to imneveral0ne Send a message via MSN to imneveral0ne Send a message via Yahoo to imneveral0ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by berardi1111 View Post
I'm curious about this too... lets just hope for Android for the Vogue FTW!
there is a version of android that works on the vogue....sorta. just for show really as i havent figured out how to do much of anthing with it :-p
Old 09-01-2008, 03:49 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

sanvara is becoming a great contributor

How about tethering?
Old 10-16-2008, 07:07 PM
#1 troll!
Threadstarter

okay after alot of trial and error i finally figured a way to fully sync up my htc touch with ubuntu. we all know ubuntu does not have much if any syncing support right now, you would have to install mandriva 2009 for that. in the mean time the way i will explain will allow you "fully" sync your pda's & phones that run windows mobile 5 & 6.

1.) install ubuntu
2.) do all of your updates and such.
3.) install vmware workstation for linux "not freeware".... but it does give you a 30 day trial when you sign up.
4.) install either xp or vista on vmware, configure how much ram and hdd space to use.
5.) after xp or vista install, install vmware tools from within the virtual machine.
6.) install microsoft windows mobile device center for vista or active sync for xp.
7.) plug in your phone / pda with the usb cable.
8.) vmware will recognize it and you will have to enable the usb connection.
9.) follow the instructions in wmdc and you will be able to sync all content and view all of your files on your device.

enjoy !!!!

this is a solution for now until ubuntu decides to make syncing native. i have now fully switched over to linux ubuntu and i am only using xp via virtual machine to sync up my device.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:47 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

Runamok81 is becoming a great contributor

You CAN sync the Sprint HTC Touch Pro directly through Ubuntu using a program called synce. I used the information found on this page...
http://smealko.blogspot.com/2008/10/...-work-for.html

In Summary, you need to go System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager and make sure all of the following programs are installed.

multisync-tools multisync0.90 opensync-module-python opensync-plugin-evolution opensync-plugin-google-calendar opensync-plugin-synce python-opensync synce-gnomevfs synce-gvfs synce-hal synce-sync-engine synce-trayicon

Also, I did open an terminal and type "sudo modprobe ipaq" Not sure if this made a difference....

Reboot and the synce-trayicon should start. Right click to browse files, works like a charm.

- Enjoy
Runamok
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue