PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2008, 11:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

yamus08 is keeping up the good workyamus08 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Apache owners???????

My mom has an Apache through her work. She has had it forever. It has ice age software on it and the battery is done for. I did get her SPB mobile shell for it because she has no idea what she has. Her work is about to give them all new phones and I am trying to get her to talk her boss into letting her keep her old phone so I can have it . Anyways, I have never owned one. I have a titan and a vogue but I am wondering if there is anything special about the Apache that would really make it worth talking the talk to get the phone. Obviously a free PPC is a plus no matter what but can anyone tell me if there are any pluses over the two units I own now?
Thanks,
Yamus

Old 07-18-2008, 07:11 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe
Re: Apache owners???????

No, keep the Titan, drop the Vogue and forget about the Apache in your case. There are software and hardware advantages the Titan has over the Apache. The Vogue I just dont personally like.

Im not going to go compare the two (Titan and Apache) because there are so many threads on it already plus all you would have to do is go to the manufactures site and get all the info you needed and see why the Titan has those advantages over the Apache. But at the same time go look at the Diamond and read its specs as well.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:22 AM
The Hibster
Pocket PC: 3DDD :p
Carrier: Sprint 4g

hibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to hibby50 Send a message via MSN to hibby50

ki had an apache for a while then got the titanand loved it! it is basicly the same thing but thinner faster gps mor memory no antenna better softkey arrangment

Old 07-18-2008, 10:14 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

PolloLoco is keeping up the good workPolloLoco is keeping up the good work

The advantages of the 6700 are in video processing. The Titan was in theory superior, but lacks video drivers. As a result, when playing video games or watching movies on your PPC, it'll lag significantly compared to a 6700. A Titan can't even play a VGA encoded video full speed with sound. If you use a PPC for emulating old video game systems, the 6700 is arguably still the best phone for that. You'd get MUCH better framerates. Also, there's a program from emulamer.com written for the 6700 that allows you to press two buttons at once for gaming. IE diagonals or running and jumping in Super Mario.

The culprit is the Qualcomm processor. Even the Titan 2, and the upcoming Diamond and Raphael are slower in video even though they're 520 mhz processors. I've done head to head benchmarks against the Diamond and Touch(Vogue) - the results aren't even close, if my phone were overclocked it'd be embarassing.

For more info, there's a website you should google about a potential HTC class action lawsuit, because the new phones are actually a step back from the 6700. Also, the new phones could theoretically be superior to the 6700 if drivers for the existing hardware were released. Google the class action website or check xda developers.com for more information.

Last edited by PolloLoco; 07-18-2008 at 10:22 AM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:23 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: xv6800
Carrier: Verizon

livinonnosleep is a n00b

True, the multiple key presses fix was awesome for my apache. I don't know how much better video was in the device, because i haven't tried the 6800.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:38 AM
VIP Member

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloLoco View Post
I've done head to head benchmarks against the Diamond and Touch(Vogue) - the results aren't even close
Just wondering where you got the Diamond to from to test.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:17 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

pvelliqtc is a n00b

[QUOTE=livinonnosleep;351893] True, the multiple key presses fix was awesome for my apache. [QUOTE]

What's the program called??
Old 07-18-2008, 11:31 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedahoe View Post
Just wondering where you got the Diamond to from to test.
I personally didn't have the Diamond, it was benchmarked in parallel at my request. It was a user on the XDA developers forum who ran the same video downloaded from online - as well as the same version of TCPMP. The Diamond is available in the UK, you can readily buy it unlocked.

The Diamond ran the video (640x480, AC3 audio) at 80% of speed using the benchmarking feature. The 6700 ran at 104%. The 6700 ran at 116% when overclocked to 624 mhz.

It was disappointing to say the least. My numbers might be slightly off, I'm going from memory. If you are genuinely interested, I can probably dig up the thread and provide a link.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:00 PM
VIP Member

Yeah Ive seen GSM Diamonds for sale unlocked but I obviously cant use a GSM you know? Im watching one now for sale on an auction site to see how much it goes for.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:37 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Gotcha. I dug up that old thread for reference:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...=397478&page=2

I've read that some users got limited usage from the Diamond Unlocked and then used on AT&T. But they didn't get full speeds on internet access and worse reception in calls.

I was debating if I'd finally upgrade my 6700 to the HTC Raphael with the same processor specs as the Diamond - but thanks to the benchmarks, I'm probably going to hold back. The Raphael even features TV Out, but how good is that if it can't even properly play back VGA? I've heard low bitrates at VGA play fine, however.
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache