PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 11:44 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

Greg Brady is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Problems after rooting/custom kernel

This is list of issues my phone is now having since rooting.

This was on a moment with sprint update already on it out of the box. I didnt have any problems on the phone but use wifi-router everyday and rooted to have this on my moment. Since installing keffes custom 14.1 my phone has done the following and i would like to know if it is just from the custom kernel.

Day 1: phone went into flight mode but it was not turned on in the settings and could not get radio to turn back on and had to reset.

Day 2: phone was working great, went into store to grab some gum, came out and phone would not turn on. No lights just black screen, had to pull battery and restart.
: Now im noticing scan lines randomly zipping through the screen here and there.

Day 3: Started using internet this morning then half-way through a google search it just stopped. ev icon on status bar- still had good service- but no internet. would work in any app. had to restart.

Just to be clear im not accusing the custom kernel at this point because i only had the phone for 2 days before rooting.

Other apps installed that may be causing problems so if you have these apps and any of these problems maybe we can make a connection.

1. SMS unread count
2. Scan 2 PDF full
3. Quick Settings
4. Astro File explorer
5. Wireless tether 2.0 pre7 added end of day 2

Overall i like this phone. I traded in my diamond for this because TP2 is just too much money for another windows phone. I dont feel 800 mhz pumping through it though. It is laggy at times and if a few apps are open the dialer lags when dialing.

Also has anyone used games on this phone? i downloaded raging thunder which ran flawlessly on my xv6700 many years ago and it is really choppy on this phone. Even monopoly skips and is jumpy. Is this just my phone or is that all we get with android?

Thanks to anyone who replies.

but please refrain from asking about mrs brady and the rest of the gang thanks
Old 03-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak
Re: Problems after rooting/custom kernel

I loved your show! You guys made the Partidge family your bit**es!

I am (still) running Zeife's 12.1 kernel. Here is what I can tell you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Brady View Post
This is list of issues my phone is now having since rooting.

Day 1: phone went into flight mode but it was not turned on in the settings and could not get radio to turn back on and had to reset.
I have never had that happen, but that could be an issue with his 14.1 kernel. FWIW, he has version 14.2 out now, which may fix some of the issues with 14.1. You can always check his changelogs here.

Quote:
Day 2: phone was working great, went into store to grab some gum, came out and phone would not turn on. No lights just black screen, had to pull battery and restart.
: Now im noticing scan lines randomly zipping through the screen here and there.
I have never had mine lock up or only show a black screen. The "scan lines randomly zipping through the screen here and there" are typical with Zeife's kernels. It is a matter of a tradeoff... more processing power and more stabilty for a few lines here and there.

Quote:
Day 3: Started using internet this morning then half-way through a google search it just stopped. ev icon on status bar- still had good service- but no internet. would work in any app. had to restart.
I have also not had this happen. Remember, Zeife puts out new versions for a reason. It might be time for you to upgrade to the latest version.

Quote:
Just to be clear im not accusing the custom kernel at this point because i only had the phone for 2 days before rooting.
I am. Well, I am saying that at least one of the issues you decribed (random lines) are because of the kernel. Contrary to poular belief Zeife is actually human, so he does make mistakes, hence the new kernel releases.

Quote:
Other apps installed that may be causing problems so if you have these apps and any of these problems maybe we can make a connection.

1. SMS unread count
2. Scan 2 PDF full
3. Quick Settings
4. Astro File explorer
5. Wireless tether 2.0 pre7 added end of day 2
The wireless tether might have caused the Interent connection to stall, as you reported above. The others are typical apps that I don't see an issue with.

Quote:
Overall i like this phone. I traded in my diamond for this because TP2 is just too much money for another windows phone. I dont feel 800 mhz pumping through it though. It is laggy at times and if a few apps are open the dialer lags when dialing.
It absolutely should not be laggy for you, especially in comparison to a TP, or even a TP2 for that matter. You might want to install Advanced Task Killer (free) from the Market and kill some of the stuff that is running in the background, which might help. I would also think strongly about updating the kernel to Zeife's latest.

Quote:
Also has anyone used games on this phone? i downloaded raging thunder which ran flawlessly on my xv6700 many years ago and it is really choppy on this phone. Even monopoly skips and is jumpy. Is this just my phone or is that all we get with android?
I play Kitten Cannon, Armored Strike, Uno, Radiant, Flying Aces, Speedx 3D and Speed Forge 3D all without any lag or problems, whatsoever.

Quote:
Thanks to anyone who replies.

but please refrain from asking about mrs brady and the rest of the gang thanks
You are welcome. But you had to know that I would say something...
Old 03-06-2010, 01:18 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; SPH-M900 Build/CUPCAKE) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Thanks for all the info!. I can live with the scan lines until they figure it out. The only thing that I think is weird is the games being laggy. I killed all apps and tried monopoly again and it is very jumpy. Doesn't make sense since it is a simple game. Tried life monopoly and raging thunder again all had. Trouble. I will try to update to 14.2 tonight and see if it helps.

Thanks again and keep on groovin.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:19 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; SPH-M900 Build/CUPCAKE) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

I also found an entire thread about the evdo lock ups so scratch that off the list it is a know problem.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:12 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO 3D-Flashaholic
Carrier: Sprint F&F an SERO..Oscuras

ddark4eva is keeping up the good workddark4eva is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to ddark4eva

Im running zefies ZE14 and i too experience the lines on my screen every once in awhile and also my bluetooth turns off on its on an it wont come back on unless i do a battery pull...i was on Zefies forum (midnightchannel) but apparently im alone on this cus no else seems to have any of these problems not even the lines which i think ppl jus dont notice cus after goin custom myself and 2 of my frens have the lines occasionally.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:42 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

AcE XBOX is a n00b

Oh cool. I was beginning to think my phone was messed up but I guess I just need to change roms.

Mine has the lines going through it every once in a while. It keeps dropping EVDO and running on 1x and something it will just go into airplane mode. I had to restart the phone a couple times today. At first I thought it was sprint having issues but my brothers Palm Pre works fine.

I also have another issue when attempting to send a text message. When ever I click on a thread after a couple seconds it goes back all by itself. So I have to restart the phone in order to stop it. Annoying.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:49 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

I saw in another forum that the airplane mode was being caused by an app. he didnt remember which one but after it was removed it never repeated the problem. and it has not happened to me again since hard reset.

So far i had the evdo lock up 2 more times. my wife has a moment pre-rl14 adn hers did it also.
It has never shut off completely again. I did do what equals a hard reset after the other problems i was having.
The scan lines are starting to piss me off but i need to have the phone rooted for wifi router.
I do have an issue whith bluetooth where it just drops my earpiece and i have to go back in and re-connect. It has happened twice.

I am still dissapointed that games i could play on a apache wont run on this phone smoothly. The snapdragon phones dont seems to have any trouble must be the processor they used in this phone or lack of 3d support.
Raging thunder2 is out with multiplayer and it is too choppy on this phone.
but monopoly? i mean really. that must be a hardware conflict because my daughter has the same game on her exclaim and it runs smoothly.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment

skyj635 is just getting started
Send a message via Yahoo to skyj635

I rooted my phone yesterday with zefie's ZE14.3 which is just one down from his lastest(ZE14.4) last I checked and still have the lines on the screen problem so the update to fix that probably hasn't come out yet. Very minor problem for me though. Guess Rain is right when he said that it is just a minor trade off for using the kernel.

As far as the airplane mode problem, I've read countless forums on the problem and I think I got a pretty good handle on what is causing it too. I don't think it is an app that is actually causing the problem per say but certain apps trigger the bug more often. From what I've been able to piece together from everything I've read about others having the problem and my own experience with it, the cause of the problem is actually wifi. I know it sucks to hear, especially if I'm right, since it sounds like that's a feature you use often but if you disable wifi and leave it off, i'm about 95% sure you won't see the airplane mode problem again. Apps that control wifi like wifi toggle widgets somehow make the problem happen more often. I have a hunch, and this is purely speculation at this point, that the airplane mode problem is closely tied to the "3G data connection" problem which would tie all of it to android 1.5/samsung moment from what I've read. I am looking for a fix just kinda as a hobby but I wouldn't try anything unless you know how to JTAG your phone. Updating radio drivers is a sure fire way to brick your phone, this I know from experience. Rumor has it that the fix for all the radio issues will be in the Sprint 2.1 release. Rumor also has it that this will be dropping soon but I wouldn't rush Sprint too much. The problems we have with the current kernel are probably because it was rushed and I'd rather them get it right than get out fast.

I do not have lag while gaming for the most part. I play retro games on emulators, snes-genesis-nes-stuff like that, and I only see lag when something else happens while I'm playing. Like a message comes through and the notification interrupts the audio. I'll notice some video slow down but not for long.

Tried to post this book from my phone and the site booted me out before I could reply, lol. I love my droid.

Last edited by skyj635; 03-09-2010 at 11:53 PM.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Legacy Samsung Android Devices > Samsung Moment