PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Development > ROM/Kitchen Development
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2007, 03:13 PM
bzo
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 / Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

bzo is keeping up the good workbzo is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
As far as how ImCokeMaN created the 3.5 kitchen, this is what he wrote:
Quote:
To create this kitchen i used Helmi's 3.3 apache kitchen and swapped the OS and LOC folders with one of his 3.5 kitchens. At that point it was time for serious troubleshooting! I have most of the kinks worked out, but now i'm opening it up for others.
He and the other folks working on it have fully disclosed the changes to the helmi/ImCokeMaN 3.5 kitchen up to its current iteration so it should be straight forward to reconstruct the changes from 3.3. Now if we could figure out what changes verizonguy did to get the ## codes and smartdialer working, the 3.5 ROM could start off in excellent shape
Old 02-21-2007, 03:15 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC SuperSonic
Threadstarter

Glossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuff
luc2chill,

I agree that starting fresh may be the way to go with whatever AKU we choose. There will also be more data out there on existing bugs if we start over with a helmi 3.3 or the first 3.5, since they've been around the longest.

Colonel,

You make a really good point regarding the 3.3. Do you believe that the nature of the outstanding issues in 3.5 could really hamper our efforts?

Also, I believe that work on the web-based kitchen should begin after we have a ROM nailed down. Once the dynamics of the ROM are understood, we can write a much clearer set of requirements for the web kitchen knowing that the ROM is "set".

What do you think?

Audiovox Thera-Samsung i700-Verizon PPC 6600-Sprint 6700-Sprint Mogul-Sprint Touch-HTC Touch Diamond-HTC Hero-HTC SuperSonic (EVO)
Old 02-21-2007, 03:18 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2chill
So if ImCoKeMaN can tell us how he created the 3.5 kitchen from helmi_c's 3.3 one, then I suggest we "start over", in a sense, from that point and then re-incorporate each fix in the proper fashion.
This sounds good for a 3.5-base. I built mine off ImCokeMaN's "1.1" version - ie, USB works and project file w/o hard coded path - and it's stable but has a short but managable list of problems, some of which are address by colonel, some by verizonguy... so working off that first rev (which just had the usb driver as a dll, not a module to make it work from the initial helmi_c kitchen, if I am not mistaken) is about as close to "kitchen 0" as we're gonna get
Old 02-21-2007, 03:23 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Harrier, HTC Apache, HTC Titan, HTC Vogue....

colonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuff
I have been working with the 3.5 issues for a while now and I cannot figure it out yet. I actually run a version of my 3.3 for normal use since I use both live search and IDTransfer.

As you stated, we need a rom that is nailed down. It is just my opinion that 3.3 is in a better position for implementation right now.

If you have been helped by me or would like to support developers like Olipro, helmi_c, and others please feel free to Donate

ALWAYS FLASH BACK TO YOUR CARRIER'S OFFICIAL ROM BEFORE TAKING YOUR PHONE IN FOR SERVICE OF ANY KIND

Old 02-21-2007, 03:26 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: TP2

imkk is keeping up the good workimkk is keeping up the good workimkk is keeping up the good work
The Colonel is back! Maybe there is a God. Perhaps at least there will be another riddle now?

Secret Forum? Can I get "read-only" access?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel
Count me in too I guess :wink: .

My initial thoughts are that a 3.3 version would be a better starting point. Yes, it is not the latest, but fixes and tweaks are more documented. It allows for more concentration on the processes and problems with creating a web based kitchen. Plus, it also allows for a usable version at a sooner time for the masses. 3.5 still has some monstrous issues such as the issues with IDTransfer and Live Search and their interaction with some of the GAC .dlls.

A secret forum? Nifty :D
Old 02-21-2007, 03:26 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Glossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideawake
One could be setup by the end of the day
On second thought, we may need that dedicated forum sooner, rather than later. There are already a ton of threads going on this topic, and we should probably consider moving them to a forum titled "Unified ROM Project". It can be public for now, but we'll need the ability to create a group of private threads for the actual work.

Once this is done, we can do a sticky pointing everyone who wants to contribute to the project forum.

What do you think?
Old 02-21-2007, 03:28 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Touch PRO 2! Touch Pro, Touch, Mogul, 6700

ImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Here is my opinion for the moment, it may change though I think the unified "web based" project for building roms for the masses should be done with version 3.3. This could be done with fewer developers and more web expersts etc. as there aren't as many outstanding issues.

In the meantime however i would like to put my focus on making 3.5 better along with anyone else that is available. The ppcgeeks R1.1 kitchen is designed as a base, but with the right input we could work to fix all it's bugs and release only when it's ready.

At this point i think the 3.5 effort needs to be a select group, where as the 3.3 can be more open. That is just due to the nature of the bugs and potential problem for new members/lurkers.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:28 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by imkk
The Colonel is back! Maybe there is a God. Perhaps at least there will be another riddle now?

Secret Forum? Can I get "read-only" access?
You're welcomed to contribute!
Old 02-21-2007, 03:37 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCoKeMaN
Here is my opinion for the moment, it may change though I think the unified "web based" project for building roms for the masses should be done with version 3.3. This could be done with fewer developers and more web expersts etc. as there aren't as many outstanding issues.

In the meantime however i would like to put my focus on making 3.5 better along with anyone else that is available. The ppcgeeks R1.1 kitchen is designed as a base, but with the right input we could work to fix all it's bugs and release only when it's ready.

At this point i think the 3.5 effort needs to be a select group, where as the 3.3 can be more open. That is just due to the nature of the bugs and potential problem for new members/lurkers.
I think are tremendous benefits to having everyone focused on the same ROM. While there are greater challenges to delivering a bug-free 3.5, the payoff is also greater. Based on the voting, it's running very heavily in favor of moving forward with 3.5.

Also, wouldn't the architecture of the web-based kitchen tool for 3.3 need to be re-engineered if we tried to move on to 3.5? It just seems like doubling the work to me.

A do agree that we should not release our first ROM to the masses until it is certified bug-free, even if it lacks certain functionality.

To summarize, I think we should all be focused on the same goal.

What do you think?
Old 02-21-2007, 04:17 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Touch PRO 2! Touch Pro, Touch, Mogul, 6700

ImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPImCoKeMaN is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
The reason i mentioned this is that i think the web portion would work essentially the same way between the two and the resources required for the different projects vary greatly. For the 3.3 we would neeb people testing to be sure the rom builds as expected, but there would be less need for rom debugging it would allow for web script debugging instead. To me this is a different skill set than rom building so i think they could be in parallel.

The 3.5 could proceed with the ROM developers and perhaps both would be ready around the same time. If that is the case it wouldn't take too much work to convert to use the 3.5. I think this just allows us to parallelize the developement as we seem to have a lot of resources on this forum.

This may or may not work this way, it's just the idea i was thinking of at the moment. Comments and criticisms are welcome.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Development > ROM/Kitchen Development