PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2009, 03:58 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc pro 2
Carrier: tmobile

rcmxfuk is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
android vs pro2?

well im in a pickle here. im in the market for a new phone, gsm. have been lookin and was settled with the tp2, but ive been reading up on android os, and it seems promising. so should i wait for a gsm android phone (milestone, perhaps?) or should i just buy the tp2 now?
Old 11-22-2009, 04:03 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Telus

richc3 is just getting started
Re: android vs pro2?

Eh, the biggest disappointment for me with the TP2 is the underpowered processor. It seems like an "old batch" of chips.

On personal interest (OS-wise) in order I'm curious about..
Android
WebOS
Windows Mobile
Symbian (sp)
Maemo
Blackberry

--
WM seems to have a lot of incompatible software and simply a clunky design. WM7 might fix that, but there's speculation it won't even run on the TP2.

Also the marketplace seems like quite a disappointment for an OS that has been out for eons; I wonder how Androids is.

--

If I were you, I'd glance over something like the X10 (Sony) which runs Android with a specialized theme to it. It looks pretty top notch.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:11 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

pyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to pyro254750 Send a message via MSN to pyro254750

my fiance has an iphone, my mom had a blackberry, and now has a pre (webos), and ive got a touch pro 2, 2 other winmo before that, symbian before that, and have played with an htc hero and a tilt running android. IMO windows mobile cannot be beat. That being said, im also the type that will tweak and tweak and tweak until it runs as fast and stable as i want it to run. With the touch pro, that took some time, with the touch pro 2, it didnt. The touch pro 2 is faster, more stable, and more aesthetically pleasing than the touch pro was, and with a well built WM 6.5 rom, imo there is nothing out there that can touch it right now. Webos and android would be my preferences after winmo, however, while both are flashy and well built, they are also very user friendly and not so customizeable compared to winmo, which is my biggest complaint about them. At the end of the day, if you are looking for a phone that is "perfect" right out of the box, id look into an android phone. The pre is simply too small for my hands.

Just incase its relevant, i talked to a sprint rep when i picked up my TP2 about the hero, and she said they have had ALOT of complaints about the battery life, and its suspected its because it can run so many apps at once. Now, this seems odd to me because winmo is capable of running just as many background apps and it doesnt dramatically affect the batt life, so that tells me that there is some code in android that needs to be tightened up.

If it were me, id spring for the TP2, get it running how you like with a custom rom, maybe order a high cap battery, and live happy.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:18 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC hero

jjday7 is keeping up the good workjjday7 is keeping up the good work

I have both a tp2 and the sprint htc hero.

I can say that android is really nice and it is just built right. They did put some thought on how the UI worked. I should probably say HTC due to sense really making android shine. I think android is very fluid with very few hiccups. The phone rarely needs to be reset. It is also easier to get things done on the hero vs the tp2. The market is awesome and you don't have to be wired to a computer or looking all over threads to find software to make things work. It just works.

The tp2 I have had for a few days and it seems to be pretty well built and the OS, well we know how Windows Mobile can be. I can say that the TP2 is a overall better phone due to the keyboard and the bigger screen. The samsung moment also has a keyboard but the phone just felt cheap to me. I am not a fan of opera after using androids browser. It seems clunky and slow to me. Comparing the two OS, I would say they each have there strong point and it's hard to say one is better than the other. Touchflo is getting old and needs an update. I know there are roms to get the most out of the software, but they are buggy right now.

Since the tp2 is now in stores, I would go and try out both android phones and the tp2 side by side. My comparison on phones is usually form factor, software and build quality.

Regarding the statement above about battery life on the hero. The tp2 last just a little longer than the hero. I have had the hero since oct 9th and have had no problems except a issue with yahoo mail but that was fixed after my phone was replaced.

Last edited by jjday7; 11-22-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:41 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

gianthobbit is keeping up the good workgianthobbit is keeping up the good workgianthobbit is keeping up the good work

This was the same situation I was in, android or TP2...

Here the thing, up until recently there was not a Android device with a WVGA screen. Coming from a TP the hero gave me smaller resolution and same internals.

I guess what amazes me more than anything is how HTC took the same hardware and made the TP2. You would think that it had twice the processing power, its just insane.

Android maturing, and maturing fast. I don't think I would get an android phone unless it had HTC sense though. Personally I am waiting on the HTC Dragon before I seriously think about moving to that platform.

People look at my phone and they go wow thats amazing I want that. Unless they have a passion for tweaking and customizing I have to look at them and sadly say... no you dont. This phone is nothing like the phone you would get, all these programs, took me months to find...pretty sad.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Star Tac
Carrier: sprint

myltz400 is just getting started

I too looked at both Hero and TP2. I even used a coworkers Hero for a day. IMHO the Hero (Android) still has a way to go. Having said that, I will go to the android platform sometime in the future. I think it has so much more potential, but as a business user its not there yet.

I am still very surprised at how well the TP2 performs, I would agree that its the best choice out there. It runs great right out of the box which is what the TP1 and Diamond should have done.

TF3D keeps you far from any goofy winmo stuff.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

EGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on rep

If you go with an Android device, the Milestone is the only way to go. Everything else is packing a weak CPU
Old 11-22-2009, 07:08 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc pro 2
Carrier: tmobile
Threadstarter

rcmxfuk is a n00b

well the hero really isnt an option for me, as it lacks a hardware keyboard. also, if winmo is more customizable and moddable, then thats the way i'll go. i was under the impression android was more hackable, cause its open source, but if thats not the case, then great, ill go with win. ill just replace the stock rom with a faster rom. also, the milestone probably wont be out for another few months; and, it might not even come to tmobile usa. guess ill be getting tp2 after all
Old 11-22-2009, 07:31 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff

The Tp2 is nice but the VZ Droid is very nice and will get much better VERY fast.

The Voice Controlled Search and Navagation is pretty awesome.

"Drive to Nearest Best Buy". Done. You are on your way. Turn by turn text to speech with real time traffic.

Capacitive Touch Screen is Very nice.

Browser is better than anything on Windows Mobile (but Opera 10 Beta is getting close). iPhone safari is still better though.

The desktop docking station is very slick. It has a little magnet that puts the phone in desktop mode. The car dock puts it automatically in a finger friendly mode with a another magnet.

Microsoft better get their act together or they will be out of the mobile market.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:37 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon & Bravo
Carrier: Sprint & AT&T PAYG

budney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Yahoo to budney

Thread Moved To Phone Comparison Forum!

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...1249020923.gif http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...1249020658.gif

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison