PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 07:00 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro--> Htc TP2--> Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

yashmathur08 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Is switching to iPhone just because of battery a bad decision?

I am sick of poor performance of my EVO's battery. I am not able to use the phones full capability for sake of battery exhaustion fear. My Evo last for 6-7 hour a day for very light(almost no) use.

I juice up 6-7 Hours by:

1) Disabled background data in setting
2) Use Juice Defender
3) Uninstalled useless app from Sprint via Titanium Backup (this proves I am rooted)
4) Refrain my self to use phone for long voice call (less than 30 minutes a day)
5) Refrain my self to use applications. (Forget about Data hoggers like Netflix and other I use skyfire or Dolphin browser to read newspapers.)
6) Scheduled my Emails to sync once a day

The points 4,5 and 6 really pisses me off. If I can use my phone as a phone at the end of the day then what is the purpose of having a cell phone??

Anyways I am not using my EVO and Sprint's 4G to full potential in fear of battery. iPhone will mostly not offer me most of the things so I will be saving most of the battery at-least for a day and be able to talk more.(What most of the iphone users are claiming with coming of iOS5)

Switching to iPhone the biggest thing I have to lose is flash. I was thinking 4G network but again I am not using 4G most of the time in fear of saving battery.

In a phone these 3 features will fulfill my appetite:
1) Able to make calls
2) Use web browser
3) Use Navigation
Old 06-15-2011, 07:28 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Re: Is switching to iPhone just because of battery a bad decision?

Yes.
p.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:28 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level

No.
p.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:31 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha

You're going to get both answers anyway... So I figured I'd pick one of each so I can always go back and quote myself and say I told you so.
LOL

The decision is YOURS. YOU have your reasons and as long as YOU get what YOU want in the end... Who cares what any of us has to say.

If that was MY biggest concern... And the iPhone was available at Sprint... I may be tempted as well.

I'm not willing to leave unlimited data and shared minutes and free ANY network cellie to cellie calls for ANY network at this moment. So I... And I repeat... I... Will not do it. YOU may have more specific reasons why YOU will.
Good luck either way bro.

p.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:40 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint EVRP

kevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to kevmo1965

I was getting horrible battery life with the stock rom, try some of the other cooked roms from this site. Trying some of these roms wont cost you money like canceling your wireless account and buying a new phone.
If you still want to switch, my daughter needs a new phone!

Old 06-15-2011, 09:50 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

smartphone + usage = poor battery life. It's that simple. I know several I-phone users that are plugging in around 2pm each day for the same reason we are.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:19 PM
JZ*
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: SPRINT

JZ* is keeping up the good workJZ* is keeping up the good workJZ* is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyd5 View Post
smartphone + usage = poor battery life. It's that simple. I know several I-phone users that are plugging in around 2pm each day for the same reason we are.
Best answer so far...car charger, USB charger, extra battery (though I make it without this step)...Still love the concept though
Old 06-15-2011, 10:24 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

tj.iscool is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartj.iscool is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartj.iscool is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

i get great battery life
Old 06-15-2011, 11:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

aj48198 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularaj48198 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularaj48198 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularaj48198 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyd5 View Post

+1. The most beneficial thing that I've found is using my WiFi everywhere I go. There are many places that you frequent now that is going with unsecured WiFi so you can surf the net. One of the main drains of battery life (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is your phone constantly searching for a good signal on the network, that constant polling is one of the biggest culprits. By using WiFi and turning off Sprint's network, I can go almost 2 days just using WiFi, only turning the network on when I'm driving. You will still be able to do everything on your phone thru WiFi, thus saving your battery. If your job has WiFi and they are gracious enough to provide you with the key, that will be the best way to go during work hours. I'm able to tap into the WiFi we have for our suppliers when they come visit, maybe your job has an unsecured WiFi signal they give to visitors that you could tap into. Now Navigation is no man's land to me, I just let Ford's SYNC system do that instead.

There was a thread on either here or XDA about switching PRL's over to Verizon and I heard some people say they've had good results with battery life but was unable to make calls, they received calls and was able to use V's network for surfing and texting tho. That could be another option vs utilizing WiFi but I've never tried it.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Treo 700wx > Treo 800w > HTC Touch Pro 2 > HTC EVO

crazie.eddie is just getting started

Doesn't the iPhone have non interchangeable batteries? So you could end up in a similar position. Have you considered getting an extended battery? Once I switched over to the Mugen extended battery with cover, I never looked back.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison

Tags
evo 4g, iphone 4